• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Word. Yeah, I thought I remembered there at least being rumblings of Mustapha and Claiborne having second thoughts, but also sort of remember in both cases they reaffirmed pretty quickly, as well. And probably both different situations than Barnes, especially timing-wise. Oh well.

Regardless, Clawson should maintain a good relationship with him. The transfer portal will be open.

the bigger question is do we stay fighting for him or is it - if you can't keep a commitment - best wishes. I seem to recall someone wanting to explore options and we pulled the scholly or was that hoops and a different coach.
The only situation like that that I remember is CBS entering the transfer portal and then wanting to come back, but we had offered Claiborne and Clawson told CBS the spot was gone because 4/5 years of Claiborne > 1 more year of CBS.

I haven't seen anything that indicates Barnes has a Georgia offer. They're definitely in touch with him though.

Claiborne never decommitted. Mustapha was never offered out of HS, went to Richmond then transferred to Wake. I can't recall anyone recently that has decommitted then come back. Generally, that's extremely rare in CFB unless it's one of those committed as a sophomore, realized they want to go through the recruiting process then ultimately choose the original school situations.
Didn't Grimes open his commitment for a minute last year when ND came calling?

Didn't Grimes open his commitment for a minute last year when ND came calling?
Grimes got late offers from ND and UNC and even had an in home visit from Mack, which required some late scrambling to keep him but he never decommitted. Same with Claiborne and Penn State

Shame he's a QB. Any other position and he'd be a must get.

Shame he's a QB. Any other position and he'd be a must get.
Pretty good chance we need a QB out of the portal if Sam and Kern both leave. We'd have 3 scholarship QBs with one being a true freshman which is not enough. Don't think this is the right guy though. Thinking some lower level grad transfer looking for free grad school and the P5 experience that's not necessarily looking for a starting job would be the route to go.

Stolen from the other board but Micah Mays got bumped into the top 200 by 247 and is listed as the #21 WR in this class. Hope we can keep him as I’m sure other schools are calling. The future of this offense with Grimes, Claiborne, Mays, etc is really exciting.

https://247sports.com/player/micah-mays-46114159/

The U is recruiting Mays.

Mays isn't going anywhere except WF.

Yeah. The Miami 247 article says that. A friend of mine talked to someone in the program who said that as well. My impression was a South Florida kid blew up and the U has to do due diligence and reach out. They did. Mays took an unofficial and checked them out but remains committed.

Wake has a good thing going at WR. Come in and sit and learn for 2 years behind NFL-caliber players then feast for 3 years in a WR-friendly offense.

Yeah. The Miami 247 article says that. A friend of mine talked to someone in the program who said that as well. My impression was a South Florida kid blew up and the U has to do due diligence and reach out. They did. Mays took an unofficial and checked them out but remains committed.

Wake has a good thing going at WR. Come in and sit and learn for 2 years behind NFL-caliber players then feast for 3 years in a WR-friendly offense.
As the talent level improves, that might not necessarily be the case. Banks is in his second year. Greene was very good as second year player. Morin has been great since day one. I expect Grimes to get significant PT in his second year as Banks takes over the AT role.

Banks is in his 3rd year. Greene was very good in his 2nd year in 2020 but much of his playing time came because Surratt didn't play. Also I think the position has improved to the point that it will be harder for the next Greene (like Grimes) to start as a 2nd year. Obviously it would be great if that was the case, but it just seems tough to do. For example next year's top 3 outside WR rotation looks like Greene, Banks, and Fields plus perhaps Williams, maybe Grimes. Not sure if Hensley is a slot or outside or possibly both like Morin.

I think Clawson ideally has 4 outside WR and 2 slots he feels he can run anything with. It's possible Fields would have been the 4th if healthy.

The only situation like that that I remember is CBS entering the transfer portal and then wanting to come back, but we had offered Claiborne and Clawson told CBS the spot was gone because 4/5 years of Claiborne > 1 more year of CBS.

Kendall Hinton went into the portal but then came back to do well as a WR.

Back