• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Not Presbyterian. Their coach refuses to punt.
Ha, that guy -- Kevin Kelley -- quit after one season (2021). He went 2-9; won the opener 68-3 and third game 84-43 and the middle game was a 72-0 loss to Campbell. In his wake, Presby was 1-10 last year.

I worked in Arkansas and covered a team that lost to his Pulaski Academy powerhouse in Arkansas in 2011. Don't get me wrong, I think I'm pretty forward-thinking when it comes to analytics. The onside kicks and 4th-down attempts were all there and cool to see firsthand.

But the thing nobody wanted to write about when doing all of the "look at this zany guy who never punts!" profiles is that he was running a private school that could give scholarship money in the middle of Little Rock and playing in the middle class of public schools. The QB of the team when I saw them was a multi-year starter for Arkansas State and the WR, think he was a sophomore, was a gangly kid named Hunter Henry.

Ha, that guy -- Kevin Kelley -- quit after one season (2021). He went 2-9; won the opener 68-3 and third game 84-43 and the middle game was a 72-0 loss to Campbell. In his wake, Presby was 1-10 last year.

I worked in Arkansas and covered a team that lost to his Pulaski Academy powerhouse in Arkansas in 2011. Don't get me wrong, I think I'm pretty forward-thinking when it comes to analytics. The onside kicks and 4th-down attempts were all there and cool to see firsthand.

But the thing nobody wanted to write about when doing all of the "look at this zany guy who never punts!" profiles is that he was running a private school that could give scholarship money in the middle of Little Rock and playing in the middle class of public schools. The QB of the team when I saw them was a multi-year starter for Arkansas State and the WR, think he was a sophomore, was a gangly kid named Hunter Henry.
Where did you work? I live 45min north of LR

f93b10d1ffdf8c1d2bfa6c80d894fa1a.jpg

Coach at Parkview is saying one of their kids has strong interest in WF and is planning to commit here soon. Wouldn't give me a name though. Anybody have an idea who it would be? Also, impressed that Clawson and staff continue to prioritize metro ATL area in search of recruits. That is big boy territory and there is a ton of talent up for grabs that has either been overlooked or are not as far along in development as peers but possess extremely high ceiling. Unsure whether Wake has always put resources towards recruiting this area but they are building a lot of good relationships with coaches right now.

Coach at Parkview is saying one of their kids has strong interest in WF and is planning to commit here soon. Wouldn't give me a name though. Anybody have an idea who it would be? Also, impressed that Clawson and staff continue to prioritize metro ATL area in search of recruits. That is big boy territory and there is a ton of talent up for grabs that has either been overlooked or are not as far along in development as peers but possess extremely high ceiling. Unsure whether Wake has always put resources towards recruiting this area but they are building a lot of good relationships with coaches right now.

I did a quick look at the current FB roster and noted eight guys from Metro Atlanta.

Also, Wake had had some good basketball players from that area. Al Farouq Aminu probably the best of them.

My guy comes in and drops the super secret source that 5 star WR Mike Matthews is committing to Wake. Well done sir.

(In reality though, maybe Khyair Spain or flipping Ira Singleton? I have no clue)

Georgia has been a focus for them since Clawson came in. Nothing against the talent in NC, but there is just a wealth of it in GA even below what UGA/Auburn/Bama/tOSU/Clemson get from the state, especially in the metro area. And they usually have the grades. Have four of them in the class for '24 (five if you really wanna stretch and call Hiram Metro Atlanta) usually like to pick 3-4 off when they have a full class

My guy comes in and drops the super secret source that 5 star WR Mike Matthews is committing to Wake. Well done sir.

(In reality though, maybe Khyair Spain or flipping Ira Singleton? I have no clue)
I will try to keep any neurotic posting and/or dropping speculative and unsubstantiated nugs about recruiting quarantined to the Auburn boards. This place reads like an oasis of sanity and tranquility to me so I'll try and my posts grounded in reality so as to not unintentionally poison this message board. However I do try and keep up with Wake's recruiting efforts and area coaches I'm friends with are excited about Wake starting to give looks to guys who would otherwise end up underutilized and undeveloped at a SunBelt school. There are a ton of kids with SEC west talent that get lost in the mix.

Last edited:
Back