• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Game threads may change your mind on the mental health thing. :)
Zero chance they come close to the level of toxicity in game threads on Auburn boards during the Harsin era, the meltdown during the 2022 Penn State game thread was a Three Mile Island type event. Not saying the reactions (mine included) weren't warranted considering the unprecedented level of incompetence Harsin displayed but he did some legit damage to people's mental stability. Unprovoked multi-page threads dedicated to slandering his tenure at AU still aren't all that uncommon.

I've followed Wake football as a close second to Auburn since around when my fiancé started school in the fall of 2016 and it has been awesome to be able to go to a game at Groves Stadium or watch on TV and consume football like a normal, sane individual. I still get upset after a Wake loss and yell at the tv when ACC refs do ACC ref things but I'm able to still function normally following a disappointing outcome. Looking forward to football season on here as I've been one of like three active posters on the 247 Wake board for years now and thought that level of activity was normal until I stumbled upon this board entirely by accident a day or two ago.

Zero chance they come close to the level of toxicity in game threads on Auburn boards during the Harsin era, the meltdown during the 2022 Penn State game thread was a Three Mile Island type event. Not saying the reactions (mine included) weren't warranted considering the unprecedented level of incompetence Harsin displayed but he did some legit damage to people's mental stability. Unprovoked multi-page threads dedicated to slandering his tenure at AU still aren't all that uncommon.

I've followed Wake football as a close second to Auburn since around when my fiancé started school in the fall of 2016 and it has been awesome to be able to go to a game at Groves Stadium or watch on TV and consume football like a normal, sane individual. I still get upset after a Wake loss and yell at the tv when ACC refs do ACC ref things but I'm able to still function normally following a disappointing outcome. Looking forward to football season on here as I've been one of like three active posters on the 247 Wake board for years now and thought that level of activity was normal until I stumbled upon this board entirely by accident a day or two ago.
ok now we know you're legit :p

Georgia has been a focus for them since Clawson came in. Nothing against the talent in NC, but there is just a wealth of it in GA even below what UGA/Auburn/Bama/tOSU/Clemson get from the state, especially in the metro area. And they usually have the grades. Have four of them in the class for '24 (five if you really wanna stretch and call Hiram Metro Atlanta) usually like to pick 3-4 off when they have a full class
I’ll never forget the moment I knew Clawson would be successful here. His opening presser, and he laid out a recruiting plan based on 6 hour drive time for increased unofficial visits and recruiting from the same areas we recruit other students from. Just such a clearly articulated strategy in the wake of the “I wonder who Nease or the Bolles School have graduating next year?” plan.

Last edited:
I’ll never forget the moment I knew Clawson would be successful here. His opening presser, and he laid out a recruiting plan based on 6 hour drive time for increased unofficial visits and recruiting from the same areas we recruit other students from. Just such a clearly articulated strategy in the wake of the “I wonder who Nease or the Bolles School have graduations next year?” plan.
I'll have to go watch that. But yes, Clawson absolutely gets it and Wake will probably benefit from the relationships he is building and pipelines he is laying far beyond his own tenure as head coach. Wake Forest's logo being in the same schools and on the sidelines of the same games as Auburn, Alabama, UGA, Clemson, etc. is significant. I mean hell Wake even had a coach at a Central-Phenix City game last year and that is literally in Auburn's own back yard. Despite what people think UGA does not have metro Atlanta on lock down, they actually still struggle to land guys from schools like Buford and Parkview. Clawson is obviously paying attention.

Glad to have you on the boards. My dad is an Auburn grad so I’ve always followed the football team.
Appreciate the welcome. Just as with most schools in the south there's a lot of familial and other ties between the two schools, esp. in Georgia and Birmingham. Honestly feel very lucky to have started following WF when I did, really feels like what's going on with the football program is revolutionary and a model that will try and be replicated at similar schools across the country in the future. If you listen to Clark Lea's SEC media days presser a lot of what he talks about will sound very familiar. I think NIL potential here is huge, I've been subbed to Roll the Quad since the beginning but most alumni I've talked to have a very deep affection for Wake Forest and I think if enough people catch wind then the potential is massive. Very exciting times for football and really all sports in Winston-Salem imo.

Appreciate the welcome. Just as with most schools in the south there's a lot of familial and other ties between the two schools, esp. in Georgia and Birmingham. Honestly feel very lucky to have started following WF when I did, really feels like what's going on with the football program is revolutionary and a model that will try and be replicated at similar schools across the country in the future. If you listen to Clark Lea's SEC media days presser a lot of what he talks about will sound very familiar. I think NIL potential here is huge, I've been subbed to Roll the Quad since the beginning but most alumni I've talked to have a very deep affection for Wake Forest and I think if enough people catch wind then the potential is massive. Very exciting times for football and really all sports in Winston-Salem imo.
See Biff, this is how you do it.

OK, Auburn. So far, so good. You've passed all of the tests to date. Now for the final exam... what is your take on the 1979 Wake-Auburn game?

OK, Auburn. So far, so good. You've passed all of the tests to date. Now for the final exam... what is your take on the 1979 Wake-Auburn game?
I was not alive and most of our old timers have memory-holed the late 70's/Doug Barfield era of Auburn football so it is difficult to provide any kind of constructive take. Losing to y'all probably directly contributed to the firing of Barfield and hiring of Pat Dye so I guess if you connected enough dots it could be said that Wake Forest is a primary reason Bo Jackson ended up at Auburn.

I mean full disclosure here if we play y'all again I will be wearing orange and blue. I am a multi-generation Auburn legacy and alumnus so it runs deep. That being said if my future kid is having a genuinely hard time in choosing between Wake Forest and Auburn for school I'm 100% strongly advising them to go to Wake. The amount of time I spent on campus visiting with my then girlfriend during her four years there is kind of absurd so my fondness for the school and the city is sincere. Didn't join this board to talk about the 'barn though, I get more than my fix of that on the Bunker.

You pass. Wake has a long history of getting opposing coaches fired.

How early does Clawson typically like to have a class filled out? Does he have a history of landing/flipping guys in the lead up to NSD?

How early does Clawson typically like to have a class filled out? Does he have a history of landing/flipping guys in the lead up to NSD?

Clawson likes to have the class squared away by early signing day. There have been a few late flips most notably Jessie Bates who originally committed to Toledo.

Clawson recruits with an algorithm. He doesn’t waste a lot of time chasing 5 stars. A lot of WF’s best players under Clawson have been lightly recruited. His hit rate with offensive skill players has been unreal.

NSD is typically boring for wake fans. The faxes come in by 9am and they call it a day.
this is true, and at every presser, Clawson basically says the same thing. . . . we got the guys we wanted.

No real "surprise signing days" for us

also, welcome to the boards Plainsman!

this is true, and at every presser, Clawson basically says the same thing. . . . we got the guys we wanted.

No real "surprise signing days" for us

also, welcome to the boards Plainsman!
I think that is best case scenario for Wake, there doesn't need to be drama when there is absolute confidence in the efficacy of the process. It happens in the upper tier of the SEC because everyone is relentless and generally targeting the same group of individuals. Also allows for higher player retention because NIL money can be spent on the back end as opposed to up front, and with Clawson routinely identifying these late bloomers or underdeveloped guys other schools are inevitably gonna try and poach them after Wake's staff has put in the work to realize their potential. Far less of a problem if Wake can match whatever some other school's bagman tries throw at them.

Back