• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I think the second part is where we disagree. Hecklinski is very unlikely to get any game time this year, so he will probably be a total unknown going into the 2025 season (when he will legally able to buy beer after the game). How is that going to be evaluated, the same way it was with Griffis? Previously, Clawson has shown that he is content with seeing how guys perform in practice before starting them. He didn't bring in competition for Griffis despite him being unproven and was even reluctant to replace Griffis with Kern (remember all the quotes how Ken is a "great guy"). Clawson seems to have a plan at QB and is disinclined to diverge from it. Considering the importance that Clawson puts on learning the playbook and how long it takes for his QBs to do learn it (Gilliam and Marucci both hadn't mastered yet it according to Clawson), I am curious how much of an opportunity Bachmeir has to start this season, unless Kern really is not the answer.
This entire post is operating under the assumption that Clawson learned nothing from what happened with Griffis, which I think is silly. Coaches are capable of learning from their mistakes at work just like anyone else.

The post also takes the pessimistic view that Hecklinski will go down the Griffis route as opposed to the Wolford/Hartman one.

This entire post is operating under the assumption that Clawson learned nothing from what happened with Griffis, which I think is silly. Coaches are capable of learning from their mistakes at work just like anyone else.

The post also takes the pessimistic view that Hecklinski will go down the Griffis route as opposed to the Wolford/Hartman one.
Hecklinski could be great, but we won't see it this year, and we really won't know what to expect from him next year when Kern and Bachmeir are gone. Wolford and Hartman both had a couple tough season before they really flourished. Both guys were thrust into situations due to lack of depth above them.

I am not saying Clawson hasn't learned, I am saying he made a specific choice in what he looked for this season in a transfer QB. If Clawson was serious about bringing in competition, he would have brought in someone with more years of eligibility. He made a point to only go after guys with 1 year, he said specifically that is what he was looking for. If he was all about the development of his quarterbacks, why not go after guys he can work with for years, unless he is already sold on someone?

This is where we get on the restrictions on WF recruiting as well. Unless the transfer with more than one year of eligibility has already graduated (unlikely); WF can't recruit him unless the transfer just finished his true freshman or true sophomore year. Not sure how many legit transfer QB candidates WF could consider that had two or more years of eligibility left.

Clear that this staff has put a lot of stock in Hecklinski working out. If he busts, WF will be in a bad position in 2025, unless WF lands a great portal QB a year from now. Definitely risky.

Hecklinski could be great, but we won't see it this year, and we really won't know what to expect from him next year when Kern and Bachmeir are gone. Wolford and Hartman both had a couple tough season before they really flourished. Both guys were thrust into situations due to lack of depth above them.

I am not saying Clawson hasn't learned, I am saying he made a specific choice in what he looked for this season in a transfer QB. If Clawson was serious about bringing in competition, he would have brought in someone with more years of eligibility. He made a point to only go after guys with 1 year, he said specifically that is what he was looking for. If he was all about the development of his quarterbacks, why not go after guys he can work with for years, unless he is already sold on someone?
You state this like a fact when Clawson has started true freshman Sam Hartman before. If he can sling it I think there's definitely a good chance we see him. Kern and Bach can just be backup plans/provide the senior leadership and stable hand if necessary if he's too much of a gun-slinger (like Hartman tended to be his first year too).

This is where we get on the restrictions on WF recruiting as well. Unless the transfer with more than one year of eligibility has already graduated (unlikely); WF can't recruit him unless the transfer just finished his true freshman or true sophomore year. Not sure how many legit transfer QB candidates WF could consider that had two or more years of eligibility left.

Clear that this staff has put a lot of stock in Hecklinski working out. If he busts, WF will be in a bad position in 2025, unless WF lands a great portal QB a year from now. Definitely risky.
This isn’t entirely true. WF can recruit them. They just would still have to complete 60 hours of coursework at Wake to graduate with a Wake undergrad degree. Given how many people stay 5-6 years, this shouldn’t be as big of an impediment as people are making it. It’s not like the random hours towards a Liberal Studies Masters mean very much for a grad transfer coming for one semester.

This isn’t entirely true. WF can recruit them. They just would still have to complete 60 hours of coursework at Wake to graduate with a Wake undergrad degree. Given how many people stay 5-6 years, this shouldn’t be as big of an impediment as people are making it. It’s not like the random hours towards a Liberal Studies Masters mean very much for a grad transfer coming for one semester.
You would know better than me; I'm just parroting what Clawson said in recent press conferences about transfers:

• WF can recruit graduated players (e.g., Kobe Turner, Bachmeier, Jacob Roberts)
  • WF can recruit players after their first or second year of college (e.g., Mustapha, Garnes, Gainous, Pointer)
Maybe he's blurring lines, but Clawson has stated that because of transfer credit requirements, WF can't recruit 3rd or 4th year players that don't have their degree. FWIW, WF hasn't signed many of those.

You state this like a fact when Clawson has started true freshman Sam Hartman before. If he can sling it I think there's definitely a good chance we see him. Kern and Bach can just be backup plans/provide the senior leadership and stable hand if necessary if he's too much of a gun-slinger (like Hartman tended to be his first year too).
Looking back at the 2018 roster, you really see how gutsy that call was by Clawson to start Hartman over Newman when Hinton, the presumptive starter, got suspended. I would love to go back and at some of the threads on the board from then. And you are right, Clawson has said that this is an open competition, and they wanted to give Jeremy a chance to compete for the job right away, which is why they only looked at transfers with one year of eligibility. But when you compare that to what Clawson said about Hank, he wanted someone with alot of in game experience, and someone with demonstrated success playing against live competition at the collegiate level, it sounds to me like Kern and Hank will have a leg up on the starting job.

You would know better than me; I'm just parroting what Clawson said in recent press conferences about transfers:

• WF can recruit graduated players (e.g., Kobe Turner, Bachmeier, Jacob Roberts)
  • WF can recruit players after their first or second year of college (e.g., Mustapha, Garnes, Gainous, Pointer)
Maybe he's blurring lines, but Clawson has stated that because of transfer credit requirements, WF can't recruit 3rd or 4th year players that don't have their degree. FWIW, WF hasn't signed many of those.
I hear you. I know that’s what he’s saying. It just doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. It shouldn’t matter much if it puts a few kids on a little longer track to graduation. Plenty of athletes don’t graduate in 4 years even if they stay at the same school.

My wild-ass guess is the Bachmeier starts the opener against NC A&T. FWIW, looking like WF will play an ACC game in week 2 this year as the other OOC games are already scheduled for later in the season (unless the Army game is deleted).

Isn’t there also an issue with transfer credits not being accepted such that NCAA eligibility rules regarding progress toward degree completion can’t (or are less likely to be able) to be met?

Isn’t there also an issue with transfer credits not being accepted such that NCAA eligibility rules regarding progress toward degree completion can’t (or are less likely to be able) to be met?
I’m not entirely sure. I just still don’t see why other Wake coaches don’t have the same issue.

I’m not entirely sure. I just still don’t see why other Wake coaches don’t have the same issue.
Don't think you mean any other WF sport except basketball, and pretty much every WF basketball transfer in recent years has either been a college graduate or has spent no more than two years in college:

1st or 2nd year transfer:
  • Canka
  • Reid
  • Sallis
  • Miller
  • Carr
  • Bradford
  • Williamson
  • Monsanto
  • Wilkins
  • Laravia
Graduates:
  • Appleby
  • Jalen Johnson
  • Ian Dubose
  • Dallas Walton
  • Sy
According to the official WF roster, all of the above players were listed as graduate students at WF.

Don't think you mean any other WF sport except basketball, and pretty much every WF basketball transfer in recent years has either been a college graduate or has spent no more than two years in college:

• Canka
  • Reid
  • Sallis
  • Miller
  • Carr
  • Bradford
  • Williamson
  • Monsanto
  • Wilkins
  • Laravia
Graduates:
  • Appleby
  • Jalen Johnson
  • Ian Dubose
  • Dallas Walton
  • Sy
According to the official WF roster, all of the above players were listed as graduate students at WF.
It feels like we get other guys in sports like tennis and soccer but I could be wrong.

This is the major issue that drives the one or two year or grad restriction on recruiting.

Wake is very picky about accepting credits from other schools. And requires 60 credits from Wake to graduate.

July arriving player who completed his rsoph season elsewhere is probably as advanced a student that Wake could successfully get to meet academic requirements ( transfer credits) and have enough academic time to earn 60 credits at Wake. Such a player could have earned over 90 credits in 6 academic semesters plus 3 summer schools. Presumably sixty necessary to be an eligible rJunior would transfer.

He would have two summer schools plus four academic semesters to earn 60 credits from Wake. Doable, but not so easily.

This is the major issue that drives the one or two year or grad restriction on recruiting.

Wake is very picky about accepting credits from other schools. And requires 60 credits from Wake to graduate.

July arriving player who completed his rsoph season elsewhere is probably as advanced a student that Wake could successfully get to meet academic requirements ( transfer credits) and have enough academic time to earn 60 credits at Wake. Such a player could have earned over 90 credits in 6 academic semesters plus 3 summer schools. Presumably sixty necessary to be an eligible rJunior would transfer.

He would have two summer schools plus four academic semesters to earn 60 credits from Wake. Doable, but not so easily.
This is how I feel too, but someone completing their RSoph season is outside of the stipulations given by Clawson given that that would be their 3rd year of college.

But would a player who has been in school for 3 years and only has 60 credits that count toward graduation be eligible under NCAA rules?

Googling briefly, it looks like this is the requirement for D1 schools:
  • 40 percent of required coursework for a degree must be complete by the end of the second year, 60 percent by the end of the third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year.
I have no idea how credits not transferring plays into this, but on its face, if it takes 120 credits to graduate and you only have 60 that count, then it seems like you aren’t eligible because you only have 50% completed by the end of your 3rd year.

• Canka
  • Reid
  • Sallis
  • Miller
  • Carr
  • Bradford
  • Williamson
  • Monsanto
  • Wilkins
  • Laravia
Graduates:
  • Appleby
  • Jalen Johnson
  • Ian Dubose
  • Dallas Walton
  • Sy
I guess Alondes Williams is still a nothingburger to Pilch.

giphy.gif

FWIW, Williams was a graduate student at WF...

Back