• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Where do you get that from? We gave up 15 rushing TDs and 20 passing TDs. That’s 20 ppg right there with even counting XP and FG.

“ Also think this years defense was better than the numbers say. The outlier games (UL and Cuse), were largely due to our special teams. In those two games we gave up 101 total points, I can count atleast 35/42 of those points are due to turnovers/special teams.
USU game was first game of the year to a solid QB and Clemson was Clemson (defense on the field too long to a top 3 team).

Then you have games where the defense gave up 21, 18, 7, 24, 20, 10, 36, 27.

I think the defense is coming around and still believe Hemphill is a going to be a stud.”

I’ll count it out for you, Phd, don’t even need SPSS for this shit 21, 18, 7, 24, 10, 36, 27 / 8 = 20.375.

Count out the outliers which I stayed had many things to do with turnovers, special teams, etc.

Our defense still gave up scores against Louisville and Cuse. You cut out a third of games to get to 20.3.

I think a big thing to look at in terms of our recruiting success is which teams extended offers to the players that have signed with us. For example, Jasheen Davis has offers from LSU, Michigan, Penn State, among many others. James Ash, one of the lower rated guys in our class, has offers from LSU, Miami, and Iowa State. These guys have some big time offers, and they chose Wake Forest.

I think the 2021 class will be more affected by the season we just had more so than the 20 guys. Most of 20 was already committed by the start of the season. I’m expecting a big time 21 class after the season we just had. The coaches have a lot to sell.

Also, I’m new on here. Hopefully i’m doing this right.

I am much more interested who else offers our recruits rather than how many stars someone(s) assigned arbitrarily. It works both ways though, if a low 3* kid has offers from major P5 programs and a high 3* has offers from academic only schools or low majors, I would feel a lot more comfortable with the low 3* having the ability to compete in the ACC over the high 3*. In all subjective ratings you will find oddities and outliers but they will be the exception rather than the rule. IMO our coaches are forced to work much harder than a school like unc and many other state universities with a well known brand do when evaluating players.

From Clawson’s comments yesterday, it sounds like we may take 2-3 more players in this class......either from grad transfers and/or HS. He said they are still in contact with a number of players. Also, need to assess and finalize how many departures we’ll have from the current team. Will all of our portal guys leave? Will any leave for other reasons....grades, etc? Would be great to add another few solid players to this class.

What on earth is going on at East Surry HS? 3 signees to UNC and 1 to NCSU

For those of you with concerns about the defense...remember, we played most of the season without Strnad and Masterson, two major contributors and leaders.

And we will play without them next year too.

My bad. I thought he’s a senior. I assume he will be back.

For those of you with concerns about the defense...remember, we played most of the season without Strnad and Masterson, two major contributors and leaders.

And the abject lack of depth was obvious.

And some of the backup linebackers were also hurt. The backup guys at safety were (and are) still learning.
Wake is not yet at a place with the roster where there are guys to cover multiple injuries at a position. With 85 scholarships, and a really big walk-on price, Wake is unlikely to be able to do that in the foreseeable future.

It's football, everybody has injuries. It does seem however that we have major injuries to very key players and sometimes at a specific position group and we are not yet at the point where we have the depth to replace a great player with another great player. Good or adequate player maybe but certainly not in the category of some of our losses this season and last.

The new bowl depth chart was posted on our other site. Boogie and 1 or 2 more from the portal were listed. If they play will they still leave afterward?

Clawson said our recruiting rankings would be much higher if they took into account the attempts at flipping many of our players by top programs. Does anyone have information on this? For instance, UNC recruit Boaz is still a 3 star recruit yet was offered by Ohio St earlier this week. Perhaps our QB and DE recruits would be 4 star if late offers were to be considered.

FFS Boaz was not offered by tOSU. The best program to offer him appears to be VT.

You can run down the offer lists on 247 and at least have an idea who may have continued to show interest and/or tried to flip our commits.

FFS Boaz was not offered by tOSU. The best program to offer him appears to be VT.

You can run down the offer lists on 247 and at least have an idea who may have continued to show interest and/or tried to flip our commits.

I think the point that Clawson is trying to make is that recruiting rankings don't account for interest from schools trying to flip recruits without formally offering them. They will start the flirtation process and if there is no reciprocation from the recruit, the school moves on with out formally extending an offer. As a result, the offer isn't listed on recruiting sites like 247, but if the WF recruit had shown interest like WF commit Shane Whitter (who did flip to OU), then they would've gotten an offer.

Perhaps the same happened with Boaz and tOSU.

So according to Clawson, we are not done recruiting and are still recruiting a few kids who haven't signed. Does anybody have any idea who some of those kids are?

Schools offer our recruits because of Clawson. He has the mojo. If Clawson has a"find", it's good enough for a lot of people.

Back