• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

He was conference DPOY in 2021.

Seems like Clawson is using a scholarship for depth.

Two time conference defensive player of the year for what that’s worth.
A NESCAC to ACC transfer in football is not something I thought I would see.

I was talking to a D3 coach in the fall about the transfer portal and he was lamenting how guys looking to transfer down a division or so wouldn’t even take his calls. So to see it go the other way is somewhat perplexing.

Also to give a D3 guy a scholarship when Jackson Hensley was on the two deep and couldn’t get one, doesn’t sit right with me. Different positions I know.

Anyways, he has the size, but to think that what he did against Bowdoin will transfer to going against Clemson, is a bit of a reach.

anyone know how his level of competition compares to jermal martin last season?

This is a trust your coaches situation.

Clawson went to Williams College. Same conference as Wesleyan. The staff is well aware of the general talent disparity, but freaks can be found anywhere. Ali Marpet played 7 years in the NFL and has a Super Bowl ring despite playing at D3 Hobart.

Last year Helbig was listed at 6-2 275. Going to need to add some weight.

From Wesleyan’s website:

Helbig wraps up a stellar career as a Cardinal with a historic achievement, becoming the first Wesleyan player and just the third player in NESCAC history to earn multiple Defensive Player of the Year honors. The only two other players in league history to earn two DPOY honors are Andrew Yamin of Amherst (2017-18) and Walter Fallas of Trinity (2010-11). Combined with Helbig's NESCAC Rookie of the Year honor in 2019, Helbig is the program's most-decorated player in recent memory as he has won three major individual honors and is a three-time All-NESCAC player (First Team in 2021, 2022; Second Team in 2019).

Also voted by the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston yesterday as New England's Top Division II/III Defensive Player, Helbig's 2022 campaign was another sensational year as he racked up 39 tackles (20 solo), 11.5 tackles for loss, eight sacks, and five forced fumbles which led the nation at the end of the regular season. He sat third in the NESCAC in TFL, tied for second in sacks, and easily had the most forced fumbles of anyone in the conference (next-closest had two). In his career, he totaled 127 tackles, 35.5 TFL, and 21 sacks in 26 games played.

Last edited:
This is a trust your coaches situation.

Clawson went to Williams College. Same conference as Wesleyan. The staff is well aware of the general talent disparity, but freaks can be found anywhere. Ali Marpet played 7 years in the NFL and has a Super Bowl ring despite playing at D3 Hobart.

Last year Helbig was listed at 6-2 275. Going to need to add some weight.

From Wesleyan’s website:

Helbig wraps up a stellar career as a Cardinal with a historic achievement, becoming the first Wesleyan player and just the third player in NESCAC history to earn multiple Defensive Player of the Year honors. The only two other players in league history to earn two DPOY honors are Andrew Yamin of Amherst (2017-18) and Walter Fallas of Trinity (2010-11). Combined with Helbig's NESCAC Rookie of the Year honor in 2019, Helbig is the program's most-decorated player in recent memory as he has won three major individual honors and is a three-time All-NESCAC player (First Team in 2021, 2022; Second Team in 2019).

Also voted by the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston yesterday as New England's Top Division II/III Defensive Player, Helbig's 2022 campaign was another sensational year as he racked up 39 tackles (20 solo), 11.5 tackles for loss, eight sacks, and five forced fumbles which led the nation at the end of the regular season. He sat third in the NESCAC in TFL, tied for second in sacks, and easily had the most forced fumbles of anyone in the conference (next-closest had two). In his career, he totaled 127 tackles, 35.5 TFL, and 21 sacks in 26 games played.
It definitely raised an eyebrow when I heard his name the other day. But at the same time it's easy to watch him and realize that since day one he was way too good to be playing at that level. I don't necessarily pencil him in as a starter, but as someone that can you can use as a rotation guy for 20ish snaps a game? Yeah think it's more than fine to use a scholarship on imo.

That Belichek kid turned out OK after playing football at Wesleyan (as well as playing lacrosse and squash). (He’s also a “distant relative,” as in a fraternity brother, though I was at Bowdoin.)

That Belichek kid turned out OK after playing football at Wesleyan (as well as playing lacrosse and squash). (He’s also a “distant relative,” as in a fraternity brother, though I was at Bowdoin.)
If we can get a Bowdoin grad to root for a Wesleyan football player, then maybe there is hope for peace in the world. Hopefully you live somewhere warmer now.

If we can get a Bowdoin grad to root for a Wesleyan football player, then maybe there is hope for peace in the world. Hopefully you live somewhere warmer now.
Grew up in Massachusetts, so Maine for college wasn't a really big shock. (For my apparent Chi Psi brothers here, Bowdoin -- sadly, in my view -- ended the fraternity system years ago.) I have lived in Maryland, outside DC, for decades. I have not even shoveled this winter ... though that's an aberration.) Adopted Wake college football/basketball after my daughter attended. Retained loyalty to Red Sox and Patriots.

I saw helbig play at the Williams at Wesleyan game this past year. He’s a freak for d3. Who knows if he’ll contribute. I’ll take a duncan robinson trajectory. I have 2 Nescac athlete kids, one a Bowdoin grad who is still an athlete at uchicago for grad school and another at Wesleyan, so I’ve seen more than enough d3 sports. Nescac football is like watching really good fundamental high school football. Very slow and unathletic but still sound football. Helbig will have been coached well.

I saw helbig play at the Williams at Wesleyan game this past year. He’s a freak for d3. Who knows if he’ll contribute. I’ll take a duncan robinson trajectory. I have 2 Nescac athlete kids, one a Bowdoin grad who is still an athlete at uchicago for grad school and another at Wesleyan, so I’ve seen more than enough d3 sports. Nescac football is like watching really good fundamental high school football. Very slow and unathletic but still sound football. Helbig will have been coached well.
Ya, I was probably a little harsh. He's a grad transfer, so its not like we are depending on him to step in on day 1.

I love all the D3 and New England connections we are finding. My little sister just helped topple U Chicago this weekend in lacrosse. Also, some people would argue that Duncan Robinson was the 3rd best athlete to come out of my high school following myself, and the guy who won a super bowl with the Packers (some people meaning my immediate family).

Ya, I was probably a little harsh. He's a grad transfer, so its not like we are depending on him to step in on day 1.

I love all the D3 and New England connections we are finding. My little sister just helped topple U Chicago this weekend in lacrosse. Also, some people would argue that Duncan Robinson was the 3rd best athlete to come out of my high school following myself, and the guy who won a super bowl with the Packers (some people meaning my immediate family).
Actually, I do expect grad transfers ready to go. They have multiple years of experience and are usually at their grad school for one year. So they should be in the "play now" mode.

How many years does Clawson have to coach before you trust him. If he thinks a D3 can play at this level it's a given.

Back