• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Offseason Basketball Thread: Deacs in Inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational

The interview with Manning was interesting somewhat in what he DIDN'T say. When asked about team chemistry and what it different about this year's chemistry compared to last year's, he went off explaining about how when he was a pro, he had teammates he HATED. Which I found interesting because it implies that there were some teammates who didn't get along last year. This year different story with the frosh.

We'll see how that develops. I remember how Woods was considered the team leader during his transfer year when he didn't play, so he somehow went from old man leader to malcontent. Also, I felt that some of the team chemistry was partially due to not being able to handle a recruiting class where essentially the last signee who had the least stars in the class (John Collins) is coach's pet project and he becomes an NBA lottery pick in year 2. The two 4stars worked hard to get theres in Year 3 and it didn't happen for them. I will be watching what happens to our four frosh when Hoard likely departs after the season. Hoard is a legit 5star though, so different circumstances from Collins.

I for one am happy for the fresh start with all these versatile freshman. They are very versatile. And long.

This was formerly the Anaheim Classic (and the DirectTV Classic, and the 76 Classic), which Wake won in 2008 by beating CS Fullerton, UTEP, and Baylor as part of our 16-0 start to the year.

The lose decade!

I hope there are more people at the games next year than that year.

Unless we drop Manning and make an amazing hire, not a chance.

This would be more relevant to next year's offseason thread, but per Jon Rothstein Wake will be playing in the 2019 Wooden Legacy in Anaheim, CA. Other participants include: Arizona, Providence, UCF, Charleston, Penn, Long Beach State and Pepperdine. I haven't seen official dates yet, but historically the tournment has started on Thanksgiving and ran through weekend.

This was formerly the Anaheim Classic (and the DirectTV Classic, and the 76 Classic), which Wake won in 2008 by beating CS Fullerton, UTEP, and Baylor as part of our 16-0 start to the year.

The Anaheim Classic also gave us the one of the best gifs (and moments) in boards history.

Heck yeah. Thousands of people all over the country exclaiming "Oh my God - that HAS to be rjkarl!!!" at the same exact time. I remember checking on the boards at halftime and seeing that there was already a 5 page thread on it already, and then having tears in my eyes reading the comments/reactions.

I can't help it if having fun is tough on some. You guys wish you could show emotion and passion. I get it.

I can't help it if having fun is tough on some. You guys wish you could show emotion and passion. I get it.

Some around here really frown on outpours of emotion RJ, eh? I mean everyone knows fan message boards are for the regurgitation of analytical, accepted facts and skewering of anyone who dares to form an informed decision based on something other than their pre-ordained system of analytical and logical thought!

rjkarl.gif

I think the team leader narrative about Woods was just some stuff to give people hope for the next season. Addition by addition.

I think blaming Woods for chemistry issues is just a way to give people hope for next season. Addition by subtraction.

So in our head coach's 5th season we are picked preseason to finish 14th. Only ahead of Pitt, who will soon pass us by. #NewBeginnings #SameLousyResults

Last edited:
So in our head coach's 5th season we are picked preseason to finish 14th. Only ahead of Pitt, who will soon pass as by. #NewBeginnings #SameLousyResults

Cutting down nets is a .... process.

So in our head coach's 5th season we are picked preseason to finish 14th. Only ahead of Pitt, who will soon pass as by. #NewBeginnings #SameLousyResults

Don't you know it's not where you stand in preseason polls, but where you finish?

Get ready for a major "in your face", when WF goes 6-12 to finish tied for 13th... :)

The interview with Manning was interesting somewhat in what he DIDN'T say. When asked about team chemistry and what it different about this year's chemistry compared to last year's, he went off explaining about how when he was a pro, he had teammates he HATED. Which I found interesting because it implies that there were some teammates who didn't get along last year. This year different story with the frosh.

We'll see how that develops. I remember how Woods was considered the team leader during his transfer year when he didn't play, so he somehow went from old man leader to malcontent. Also, I felt that some of the team chemistry was partially due to not being able to handle a recruiting class where essentially the last signee who had the least stars in the class (John Collins) is coach's pet project and he becomes an NBA lottery pick in year 2. The two 4stars worked hard to get theres in Year 3 and it didn't happen for them. I will be watching what happens to our four frosh when Hoard likely departs after the season. Hoard is a legit 5star though, so different circumstances from Collins.

I for one am happy for the fresh start with all these versatile freshman. They are very versatile. And long.

Frankly, I've no idea about this spot here, spot there stuff on this yellow brick road walk into this year's Oz known as 'versatility'.....NO idea.

And this via Conor….

And among the returning players, 6-5 Chaundee Brown spent last season playing small forward, but is transitioning to being more of a two-guard for this season.

Huh ?

AIR, I spent the vast majority of last season pleading with Manning thru my tv set to junk the 3 often 4-guard line ups and move Brown to SF permanently where he 1) could use his 6'5" 215 body more preductively and 2) could go baseline with authority.

Now, either Conor is incorrect or I missed an awful lot last season.

Heck yeah. Thousands of people all over the country exclaiming "Oh my God - that HAS to be rjkarl!!!" at the same exact time. I remember checking on the boards at halftime and seeing that there was already a 5 page thread on it already, and then having tears in my eyes reading the comments/reactions.

Ditto. I was watching with a buddy of mine and said as soon as I saw him, “has to be RJKarl.”

Frankly, I've no idea about this spot here, spot there stuff on this yellow brick road walk into this year's Oz known as 'versatility'.....NO idea.

And this via Conor….

And among the returning players, 6-5 Chaundee Brown spent last season playing small forward, but is transitioning to being more of a two-guard for this season.

Huh ?

AIR, I spent the vast majority of last season pleading with Manning thru my tv set to junk the 3 often 4-guard line ups and move Brown to SF permanently where he 1) could use his 6'5" 215 body more preductively and 2) could go baseline with authority.

Now, either Conor is incorrect or I missed an awful lot last season.

This team will be positionless so it does not matter.

I hope that does not just mean our guys will be out of position on defense all day.

More 'My Take on the Interview'....

So the 'plan' this season is gonna be versatility, eh ?

That sounds a lot like 9, 10 maybe 11 guys playing 2 different positions within 2-3 varied line-ups in some 'plan' to adjust to match ups that vary per opponent, yes ? Well, if there's anything to the old saying of being 'A Jack of All Trades and a Master of None', we'll be that !

Pick a dang starting line-up with 2-3 subs max....that's the extent of this roster's talent anyway !!!

HONDO if you haven’t figured out by now that he doesn’t know what he’s doing I don’t know what to tell you.

HONDO if you haven’t figured out by now that he doesn’t know what he’s doing I don’t know what to tell you.

Oh I started sweating right after he called a time-out that we didn't have....remember that ?

Back