• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Offseason Basketball Thread: Deacs in Inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational

Frankly, I've no idea about this spot here, spot there stuff on this yellow brick road walk into this year's Oz known as 'versatility'.....NO idea.

And this via Conor….

And among the returning players, 6-5 Chaundee Brown spent last season playing small forward, but is transitioning to being more of a two-guard for this season.

Huh ?

AIR, I spent the vast majority of last season pleading with Manning thru my tv set to junk the 3 often 4-guard line ups and move Brown to SF permanently where he 1) could use his 6'5" 215 body more preductively and 2) could go baseline with authority.

Now, either Conor is incorrect or I missed an awful lot last season.

I mean, this is from a summer interview with Chaundee: “Before I was playing kind of big and on the wing, now I’m a true two-three guard,” Brown said.

I don't have exact sub patterns, but in any lineup that had Chaundee on the floor with two of the four guards (Crawford/Woods/Childress/Wilbekin), wouldn't you think Chaundee was the 3? Or when 3 of those 4 were out there, plus Chaundee and Doral, Chaundee was the 4? I'm not trying to be combative here, just trying to say that Chaundee says he played big and on the wing, now he's a "true two-three guard."

Here's that full story from the summer: https://www.journalnow.com/sports/w...cle_a15125ec-4e85-5906-9007-9ecefd564566.html

Very glad to hear Chaundee will be playing more SG. That seems to be evidence that the starting lineup will be Childress/Chaundee/Mucius/Hoard/Sarr.

I mean, this is from a summer interview with Chaundee: “Before I was playing kind of big and on the wing, now I’m a true two-three guard,” Brown said.

I don't have exact sub patterns, but in any lineup that had Chaundee on the floor with two of the four guards (Crawford/Woods/Childress/Wilbekin), wouldn't you think Chaundee was the 3? Or when 3 of those 4 were out there, plus Chaundee and Doral, Chaundee was the 4? I'm not trying to be combative here, just trying to say that Chaundee says he played big and on the wing, now he's a "true two-three guard."

Here's that full story from the summer: https://www.journalnow.com/sports/w...cle_a15125ec-4e85-5906-9007-9ecefd564566.html

Appreciate the response and not taken as combative....

You see and have seen more than I do. What I saw on tv last year was - IMO - a near classic sized true SF playing too much beyond the key in whatever was the much questioned 3-4 guard line ups. On 1 or 2 occasions he played more in the corner/wing and he drove the base line beautifully plus hit some corner jumpers. I won't address why he got erratic minutes so often....that's another front.

Anyway, I'm definitely negative on him now being a full-time 2 guard....in whatever multiple line-up combos get hatched with this new versatility theme.

Appreciate the response and not taken as combative....

You see and have seen more than I do. What I saw on tv last year was - IMO - a near classic sized true SF playing too much beyond the key in whatever was the much questioned 3-4 guard line ups. On 1 or 2 occasions he played more in the corner/wing and he drove the base line beautifully plus hit some corner jumpers. I won't address why he got erratic minutes so often....that's another front.

Anyway, I'm definitely negative on him now being a full-time 2 guard....in whatever multiple line-up combos get hatched with this new versatility theme.

Why are you negative on a guy playing SG when in high school he played SG? That's his position, he played 3 last year because we didn't have a true 3 worth playing. Not that there is much difference between playing the 2 or 3 in modern basketball anyway.

More 'My Take on the Interview'....

So the 'plan' this season is gonna be versatility, eh ?

That sounds a lot like 9, 10 maybe 11 guys playing 2 different positions within 2-3 varied line-ups in some 'plan' to adjust to match ups that vary per opponent, yes ? Well, if there's anything to the old saying of being 'A Jack of All Trades and a Master of None', we'll be that !

Pick a dang starting line-up with 2-3 subs max....that's the extent of this roster's talent anyway !!!

HOW OLD ARE YOU HONDO2 ?!?

The "Oh what might have been" lineup this season. Doral Moore, Sr., John Collins, Sr., Jalen Hoard, Fr., Chaundee Brown, Soph., Bryant Crawford, Sr. BChill, Mucius, D. Mirchell, Woods as backups.

But in the real world, only two of those "starters" will play for Wake this season. And two of those reserves will start. The other two will not play for Wake this season.

Versatility on the basketball court can be good thing. When seven of the ten scholarship players on your team are new and five have never played a minute of college basketball, it might benefit the team if they knew one position well enough to actually contribute on offense and defense. Versatility may be the new word for baffling player line ups and players not knowing what they are suppose to be doing on defense or offense.

Versatility is players being able to play multiple roles.

Versatility is also a cover for a coach who doesn’t know how to define roles.

SSC27.jpg

16 days without a transfer!

The "Oh what might have been" lineup this season. Doral Moore, Sr., John Collins, Sr., Jalen Hoard, Fr., Chaundee Brown, Soph., Bryant Crawford, Sr. BChill, Mucius, D. Mirchell, Woods as backups.

But in the real world, only two of those "starters" will play for Wake this season. And two of those reserves will start. The other two will not play for Wake this season.

Manning could fuck up that line up as well. I would expect even with all that talent seeing Bilas take minutes from John Collins or some puzzling mid game point with two walk-ons in while that star studded line up rested with 2 fouls.

Manning could fuck up that line up as well. I would expect even with all that talent seeing Bilas take minutes from John Collins or some puzzling mid game point with two walk-ons in while that star studded line up rested with 2 fouls.

We’d be using some terrible grad transfer we promised minutes to.

In an attempt to get us back on track, our secret scrimmage is in 4 days (10/27) at East Carolina. Are Les/Conor invited to those type of events?

Would love to get a secret squirrel report on today's scrimmage.

Out of curiosity, I just looked at the Myrtle Beach Invitational website for tickets and it looks like they are sold out.

Would love to get a secret squirrel report on today's scrimmage.

Not sure where I posted it yesterday, but I wouldn’t expect much.

NCSU played them last week and no details got out anywhere that I could find... I doubt we have better sources.

Jax St beat Alabama 92-66 in secret scrimmage today that had an actual box score.

So who knows what may come out.

Rumors are that the ECU scrimmage did not go well. This is about the softest rollout of an upcoming Wake basketball season I can remember.

Back