• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Offseason Basketball Thread: Deacs in Inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational

We definitely could have lost. I'm not disputing that. Also not disputing that it would be a bad look. But with the season rapidly approaching, we'll soon have plenty of fodder for criticism.
Outside of a couple games, we won't have a lot to go on for another 2 months. Non-conf schedule is a joke.

I stand by my initial thoughts from the Summer after all of the dust settled that we would be worse than last year (hard to do) and finish DFL in conference play. I only see 2-3 conference games that I think we will win.

DM is not the answer and it's been obvious for a while. Really hope I'm wrong. Go Deacs

Outside of a couple games, we won't have a lot to go on for another 2 months. Non-conf schedule is a joke.

Well, we won't have any confirmation if we're any good... But we'll know for sure if we're terrible.

Pretty silly comment. While our OOO schedule is pretty weak, we will be able to get a sense for both our floor and ceiling in the first two months.

Examples:
-If we competitive @ Tennessee, we should be competitive within the ACC
-Davidson, Richmond, and Saint Joseph's should be equivalent to the bottom-feeders of the ACC. If we lose (or get blown out) in those games, we'll be in for a long year. If we win big in those games, then we should be better in ACC play than most people predict.
-We could also play West Virginia and UCF on a neutral floor, which would give us direction on our talent and abilities
-If we lose to a cupcake, or barely eek out a number of games against the cupcakes, we know it'll be a 1-15 or 2-14 type of year

yeah, if we lose to Alaska-Anchorage, we'll be in for a long year, and if we beat Indiana in Hawaii, we won't lose 11 straight ACC games

Pretty silly comment. While our OOO schedule is pretty weak, we will be able to get a sense for both our floor and ceiling in the first two months.

Examples:
-If we competitive @ Tennessee, we should be competitive within the ACC
-Davidson, Richmond, and Saint Joseph's should be equivalent to the bottom-feeders of the ACC. If we lose (or get blown out) in those games, we'll be in for a long year. If we win big in those games, then we should be better in ACC play than most people predict.
-We could also play West Virginia and UCF on a neutral floor, which would give us direction on our talent and abilities
-If we lose to a cupcake, or barely eek out a number of games against the cupcakes, we know it'll be a 1-15 or 2-14 type of year
Have at it if you want. We played this game with Bz in his last year with that suckbag OOC sched, too. I guess I don't take much from a neutral win against a UCF team that would finish 13th - 15th in the ACC or a home win against a Davidson team that lost a lot from last year. Being competitive against Tennessee and WVU would move the needle for me but that would be about it. And I don't much have faith in us putting up a game against them. We shall see. True road games are just another animal, and there are such few legit ones on the sched in non-conf play.

Last edited:
Have at it if you want. We played this game with Bz in his last year with that suckbag OOC sched, too. I guess I don't take much from a neutral win against a UCF team that would finish 13th - 15th in the ACC or a home win against a Davidson team that lost a lot from last year. Being competitive against Tennessee and WVU would move the needle for me but that would be about it. And I don't much have faith in us putting up a game against them. We shall see. True road games are just another animal, and there are such few legit ones on the sched in non-conf play.

In 2014, it took overtime to beat Richmond at home, we weren't competitive against Tennessee or Xavier, and had a margin-of-victory of less than 10 against sub-300 opponents Jacksonville and UNC-Greensboro. Didn't take a rocket scientist to learn from those games that we wouldn't be .500 in the ACC after that stretch.... Actually, the Richmond OT game was a great indicator, as five ACC teams (including Wake) finished below Richmond in the KP standings - a pretty clear indication that we were evently matched with a team that would have been a bottom-five team in the ACC.

The only way we will outperform expectations is if some of our truly talented players (think Chaundee, Sarr and Hoard) settle in throughout the season and more fully develop by the time we get to conference play. Replacing Moore and Crawford's production from last year is going to be tough, and I feel really bad for Brandon. He is going to have to play out of his mind for us to stay in most games. If he's off, injured or generally fatigued at any point in the season (which he invariably will be) we're going to be tough to watch, IMHO...

Yeah. Honestly, if any of our top 5-6 players get injured we’re fucked. Our depth is nonexistent. Some are obviously more important than others but we have absolutely no depth.

We can’t expect to run out 6 guys a game and they be fresh like Cuse since we rarely run zone D.

Yeah. Honestly, if any of our top 5-6 players get injured we’re fucked. Our depth is nonexistent. Some are obviously more important than others but we have absolutely no depth.

We can’t expect to run out 6 guys a game and they be fresh like Cuse since we rarely run zone D.

We rarely play any D, so we should be fine.

I guess Belmont Abbey will be a downgrade from Queens. Plan to check it out on Friday.

Queens college is an elite D2 team. Belmont Abbey is not. BA went 12-19 last year; so, they are kind of like the WF of D2. If WF destroys Belmont Abbey it won't mean much, but if WF struggles, that would be disconcerting.

As Waldo points out, I think this board had a pretty good handle on how bad that team was (or at least we used to) despite the easy schedule.

I get you and Ayo’s point though, what does a blowout win against a 300+ team really tell us? It would be great if there were some way to develop a predictive model based off our non conference results. Maybe something that puts the games we have played in the context of all other games played across college basketball so far that year. Oh well.

Earn Everything

A new series inside Duke Basketball.

Brought to you by ESPN.

For the Wake Deacs (ESPN no longer recognizes that Forrest part), we offer....

Everyone Transfer

Earn Everything

A new series inside Duke Basketball.

Brought to you by ESPN.

For the Wake Deacs (ESPN no longer recognizes that Forrest part), we offer....

Everyone Transfer

LOL it would be funny if the Ocho made a reality show about Wake Forest players after they transfer. Following SJM around San Jose State, Crawford in Israel, and Dick Wash at his mom's apartment to see how Danny has prepared them for when the basketball stops bouncing, and how their lives are turning out.

LOL it would be funny if the Ocho made a reality show about Wake Forest players after they transfer. Following SJM around San Jose State, Crawford in Israel, and Dick Wash at his mom's apartment to see how Danny has prepared them for when the basketball stops bouncing, and how their lives are turning out.

None of them got the full preparation that a Wake Forest degree would get them.

None of them got the full preparation that a Wake Forest degree would get them.
That's sort of the point. When questioned about his (lack of) success, Manning goes off into a diatribe about preparing kids for life after basketball. Meanwhile, he can't manage to actually keep his players in the program, much less prepare them for life.

We did not lose to ECU, our subs did but not the first team guys. We ended up "winning" by about the same amount State did and it took a complete melt down by our bench to make the final score close. In fairness the State starters beat them too but the subs let their game look close too. Also Manning did his usual brain farts with the sub patterns and it looked like we changed whole lines as in hockey

Last edited:
Back