• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Offseason Basketball Thread: Deacs in Inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational

^^^^^^

Yup, I shudder to think if my pre-edited post were to come to fruition. Lord knows that is not what needs to be done. Like you said, we need a complete system reboot. Randolph will land on his feet, and I doubt BC were to transfer just cuz his Dad got swept out when Manning's garbage is finally taken to the curb.

As for the prediction, I recall the front end of our ACC being pretty tough, but I can't remember if we have any bottom feeders in the first 6. But I would not be surprised with 1-5, 0-6 or 2-7. Since it seems apparent that Danny's depth is thin, and he may have no choice but to lean on his top 5 or 6 guys, there may not be a whole lot to question in terms of personnel employment strategy. Which in turn diminishes the chances that they would turn to Ernie unless there is a complete locker room revolt and the team needs a new, interim messenger.

ETA: well, we open with GT, but we usually lose even with good teams in Atlanta, and McCamish has been worse than the old iteration of that bldg. Get BC in game 7 so unless we somehow figure out how to win in Miami (not likely) and/or beat NC St at home, 1-5 or 2-5 might be best case scenario. But with back to back games in the Commonwealth of Virginia preceding the home game with BC, a young, road weary team will likely struggle with BC at home. Or do they suck again?

Last edited:
Great to have Ernie back at Wake. Maybe he can help Danny some with substitutions and the rest of the game management stuff that was not learned under Self. Probably because it didn't matter very much there. Just grab another 5 star and send him out, if you are coaching at Kansas, or any of the other blue bloods.

Great to have Ernie back at Wake. Maybe he can help Danny some with substitutions and the rest of the game management stuff that was not learned under Self. Probably because it didn't matter very much there. Just grab another 5 star and send him out, if you are coaching at Kansas, or any of the other blue bloods.

Yup, Self has shown coaching good teams is easy. Nothing to learn there at all.

glad to have Nestor back - I think every coaching staff needs an old experienced guy with HC experience (even if said experience wasn't great)

this does feel like Wellman stepping in, however

Says the guy who hires and promotes his own son and then hires a previously retired guy to fill a vacant role.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Seems like a guy having trouble hiring good people.

Ha. I remember when his experience under Self was parroted around as his greatest strength. Now we're changing the narrative and claiming that he couldn't learn much from Self because coaching is too easy at Kansas?

Seems like a guy having trouble hiring good people.

Yup. Chill was handed to him and/or forced on him, and it's questionable whether he's good as a coach anyway. What many thought was his "best" hire is currently under investigation for losing his temper and killing someone.

There is something to be said for learning in a variety of different circumstances and under multiple mentors. This is true in college coaching as well as other fields of endeavor. Danny only had one mentor and one set of circumstances in which to learn as a college coach. At Kansas, as an assistant to Self, he learned how blue bloods operate. He learned well how to coach up bigs.

That (unfortunately) is not his reality at Wake. Ernie has been multiple places and seen a lot of different circumstances in his long coaching career. Even if he wasn't terribly successful as a college coach.

Yup. Chill was handed to him and/or forced on him, and it's questionable whether he's good as a coach anyway. What many thought was his "best" hire is currently under investigation for losing his temper and killing someone.

Stop. I know y’all have an obsessive need to spin anything surrounding our program as an indictment of Danny Manning (while rarely mentioning the root of the problem) but can we refrain from just spewing uncorroborated accusations about a tragedy to score internet points?

Stop. I know y’all have an obsessive need to spin anything surrounding our program as an indictment of Danny Manning (while rarely mentioning the root of the problem) but can we refrain from just spewing uncorroborated accusations about a tragedy to score internet points?

That was a hell of a job highlighting a few words and completely ignoring the three that preceded them.

If nothing else, the hire of Ernie Nestor is an attempt to do something different. At least there is some change and now someone with a little more coaching gravitas to speak into Danny's ear. The rest of the coaching staff combined has less experience than Nestor.

If nothing else, the hire of Ernie Nestor is an attempt to do something different. At least there is some change and now someone with a little more coaching gravitas to speak into Danny's ear. The rest of the coaching staff combined has less experience than Nestor.

Ernie Nestor is 72 years old. It's nothing more than a zero-risk status quo placeholder.

That's the exact kind of :bullshit: I fear. The next coaching change should be a wholesale change. Everyone fired, start again. There's no benefit to continuity back to such utter failure. Reboot, restart. Brand new coach, brand new staff, brand new facilities.

Edit: You edited your post. I'd be great with firing Manning mid-season and letting Nestor finish it out. Gives us a big head start on going after a hungry and capable coach who is ready to build his program at a place with all of the potential and resources you could hope for.

That’s not a reboot or a restart. If Wellman doesn’t leave with Manning, what’s the point? If we are any worse than 9-3 in Non-conference then Wellman and Manning should be fired the morning after that 4th loss. I’d say the same thing about 13-8 at the ACC halfway point.

I bet Nestor would work well with Ryan Odom.

Yep, and I bet Ernie and Odom could get Ernie's old assistant, Joel Justus, to leave Calipari's staff and come back home. After all Joel's son is named Deacon.

That’s not a reboot or a restart. If Wellman doesn’t leave with Manning, what’s the point?

I've explained this multiple times. I don't think those with the means to fund a buyout and pony up cash, private plane use, etc for securing the next coach are going to let Wellman make the decision on who to hire. Which is partly why I think he will be stubborn about firing him. His power goes away as soon as Manning is ousted.

Special Assistant Head Coach or Special Assistant to the Head Coach? Titles matter.

st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u1.jpg

Back