• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest University Coach Named By FBI in Bribery and Academic Fraud Scandal

Those fyre fest documentaries were eye-opening for me. That's what I get for not having Twitter or instantgram

She would always have some business in fashion/promotion. She didn't need to go to college. Or she could have gone to a college she actually could have gotten in on her merits. It was just to feed her parents ego.

No. It’s a product. Unless you can expand it into something else, you’ll always be a limited time one trick pony.

Two brothers (Super Carlin Brothers) who grew up in our neighborhood are now worth around $900,000 doing movie reviews on social media. I know they are branching out but wasn't really paying attention when I was told what they're adding. I used to drive one of them to middle school band practices.

Their father being a local news anchor probably didn't hurt their development

No. It’s a product. Unless you can expand it into something else, you’ll always be a limited time one trick pony.

An influencer basically advertises products.

Being a social media influencer is a business.

I think the point people are making is that perhaps she doesn't have any real "business" acumen. Being a social media influencer may or may not be something she could sustain longer term and if she doesn't have any fiscal sense it may not mean a whole lot down the line in terms of how life turns out for her. She may or may not have this issue but there are numerous examples of celebrities (actors, athletes, etc.) who squander their endorsement/commercial success and end up with nothing. Fame, as they say, can be fleeting. There are obviously examples of similar people who know how to handle their money and set themselves up for life once the fame (and endorsements) fade.

There are plenty of people with money who don’t have business acumen. I have no idea if she has acumen or not. From what I’ve read, she seems to have a successful business going. Let’s not pretend every child of a mostly forgotten 90s actress has her own enterprise. And there are plenty of people doing something similar as a main job or side hustle.

My wife told me about her hairdresser’s assistant who gets paid to take pictures at Disney Works and post them on Instagram. Coke was debuting a new machine (I’m assuming the new Orange Vanilla) and they paid her $200 a picture of her with Mickey ears in front of the machine.

Most of us are olds who don’t understand this new economy. Sure. But we shouldn’t dismiss it.

There are plenty of people with money who don’t have business acumen. I have no idea if she has acumen or not. From what I’ve read, she seems to have a successful business going. Let’s not pretend every child of a mostly forgotten 90s actress has her own enterprise. And there are plenty of people doing something similar as a main job or side hustle.

My wife told me about her hairdresser’s assistant who gets paid to take pictures at Disney Works and post them on Instagram. Coke was debuting a new machine (I’m assuming the new Orange Vanilla) and they paid her $200 a picture of her with Mickey ears in front of the machine.

Most of us are olds who don’t understand this new economy. Sure. But we shouldn’t dismiss it.

No one has dismissed what she was doing. They are noting it may not be sustainable. Fame (on any form of media), again, is normally fleeting.

Relatively few businesses sustain for a long time. Sales has been a persistent business model and this is the latest form.

I don’t get the point of mocking an 18/19 year old who has found something she likes to do to make money.

Seems weird that Ph is telling us that someone getting by on not much more than her parents money and fame and her good looks should ride that train as far as she can when he always complains about privileged individuals being the beneficiaries of their networks and nepotism.

Being an influncer/vlogger with your name on some cosmetics at Sephora may make you enough money to be set for life, especialy when your parents are loaded, but it's going to be over before you're 30.

So what? I don’t understand why you all are so concerned with her job prospects.

She's a public figure and a college student. We're debating Jaylen Hoard's job prospects here too.

The good debate is whether she’s better off now with the notoriety of the scandal than she was before it broke

The good debate is whether she’s better off now with the notoriety of the scandal than she was before it broke

This seems to be a question for Wake as well. I can't recall Wake being mentioned so often in the national press as an elite university, or grouped with other elite universities in the national media at any time. In the new age almost any publicity may appear to be better than no publicity.

This seems to be a question for Wake as well. I can't recall Wake being mentioned so often in the national press as an elite university, or grouped with other elite universities in the national media at any time. In the new age almost any publicity may appear to be better than no publicity.

Until the articles needed to be shortened and mentions of Wake were the first to be cut.

Ph - Have you ever actually worked outside of academia? Ever?

Nope. I found a career I wanted and kept working toward it. I know that’s considered a bad thing to some people.

Have you ever been a social media influencer?

Back