• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest vs Army @West Point - Check In

Hmm, I remember the 3-0 VT game (is that right?) and the 3-3 BC game going into OT when we had a good/great defense. If you have an elite offense you only need a serviceable defense.

Just saying we've had years where our defense kept us in the games but we couldn't score. While I won't cast this as a great day, we had three stops that were overturned by either dumb or unfortunate penalties.

And what was our longest series? We were scoring in 2-3 plays, the defense was out there all day because we were scoring on 70+ yard plays and burning no time.

The 12 man call and the holding on the interception where unfortunate.

Hard to believe Army stopped us on a 4th and one, was that the only time we had the ball and didn't score?

He was in a position where we had to score every possession and he made it look easy.

Hmm, I remember the 3-0 VT game (is that right?) and the 3-3 BC game going into OT when we had a good/great defense. If you have an elite offense you only need a serviceable defense.

Just saying we've had years where our defense kept us in the games but we couldn't score. While I won't cast this as a great day, we had three stops that were overturned by either dumb or unfortunate penalties.

And what was our longest series? We were scoring in 2-3 plays, the defense was out there all day because we were scoring on 70+ yard plays and burning no time.

The 12 man call and the holding on the interception where unfortunate.

Hard to believe Army stopped us on a 4th and one, was that the only time we had the ball and didn't score?

You got the teams backwards, Tech was 6-3 OT win and BC was the 3-0 win, but yeah hard to believe how far we've come offensively.

Our offense today was the equivalent of Klay Thompson scoring like 60 on 11 dribbles.

He was in a position where we had to score every possession and he made it look easy.

Army's defense had actually been pretty good coming into the game as well. Clawson said Wisconsin could not block their nose guard last week and their end had 8.5 sacks coming into today. Were those guys even a factor today?

They took a few shots on Hartman on the 1st possession and I don't think they touched him after that.

Coming into this game Army was ranked #40 in scoring defense and #6 in total defense (281.7 yards per game). That total defense looks impressive, but they allowed 5.43 yards per play which is #66. They basically limit plays with their offense which typically limits total yards. They allowed 51.8 plays per game coming into today and allowed 52 today. So that part worked. They just gave up an insane 12.3 yards per play.

By comparison, Wake was #44 in scoring defense and #94 in total defense (410.5 yards per game).

Last edited:
While wins, sort of tried to block those games out, hard to unsee those. :D

I remember walking into Dewey's Bakery after that Tech game and a Hokie fan being in there and we both just looked at each other and shook our heads.

Lol Hartman with 4 of his TDs going for 41, 55, 75, 75 . Love to see it

They took a few shots on Hartman on the 1st possession and I don't think they touched him after that.

Coming into this game Army was ranked #40 in scoring defense and #6 in total defense (281.7 yards per game)

By comparison, Wake was #44 in scoring defense and #94 in total defense (410.5 yards per game).

So you're saying neither of us helped our defensive rankings today.

So you're saying neither of us helped our defensive rankings today.

I added some more. Army actually didn't hurt their nation leading plays and helped their time of possession.

The single worst defensive performance I have ever seen occurred in this game. For that matter, the second worst defensive performance I’ve ever seen was also in this game.

still baffled over the offense yesterday. wasting time this morning to try to get a comparison. when Houston set the NCAA record for most yards in a game during their 95-21 blowout of SMU in 1989, they ran 86 plays for 1,021 yards - 11.87 average. Wake had 638 yards on 52 plays - 12.27 average.
Houston scored all 95 on offense with a time of possession of 23:33 = 4.07 points per minute
Wake scored 64 (giving the extra point to O) on 17 minutes of possession (ESPN has it at 17:17, CBS at 16:38 so I split the two) = 3.72 points per minute

still baffled over the offense yesterday. wasting time this morning to try to get a comparison. when Houston set the NCAA record for most yards in a game during their 95-21 blowout of SMU in 1989, they ran 86 plays for 1,021 yards - 11.87 average. Wake had 638 yards on 52 plays - 12.27 average.
Houston scored all 95 on offense with a time of possession of 23:33 = 4.07 points per minute
Wake scored 64 (giving the extra point to O) on 17 minutes of possession (ESPN has it at 17:17, CBS at 16:38 so I split the two) = 3.72 points per minute

That was the SMU team that had come off the death penalty as well, they were maybe at best a Division II level type team then. The Army team we did that to yesterday was much, much better. Heck, Wisconsin put up 30+ points against a good Purdue defense yesterday and Army them to the low 20's last week I think.

That was the SMU team that had come off the death penalty as well, they were maybe at best a Division II level type team then. The Army team we did that to yesterday was much, much better. Heck, Wisconsin put up 30+ points against a good Purdue defense yesterday and Army them to the low 20's last week I think.

wisconsin 20 - army 14

Yeah there’s no real way to reconcile what happened yesterday. If Army’s defense is pretty good and ours is even mediocre, those are still outlier performances by our offense and defense in like the 1% zone, just on opposite ends of the spectrum. And how often is Vegas just completely not even in the ballpark of the outcome? Just an insane game.

Back