• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest vs. Louisville Game Thread - Sunday. 8PM ESPNU

Would have been nice to have Crab roaming the free throw line instead of CMM when they played zone...

I think CMM is just a player who needs the ball a lot to be effective. That works as the best player on a bad team, but not for a 4th or 5th option with limited basketball IQ. Even Watson was doing the little things on both sides of the court far better. I was hoping Manning wasn't going to fall into the LOWF trap of falling in love with players who looked good on bad teams but couldn't pull it together when more talent came in.

CMM does not have low basketball IQ. Get serious.

Dinos missing the 1-1 to tie was a killer. The FT's by Crawford sucked, but it still would have taken a small miracle to tie the game even if he hit all three.

Biggest criticism tonight was the small line up we refused to switch up about five minutes into the game. They killed us in the paint. Moore and Collins both need more minutes. Codi and Dinos both need less.

I'll admit that +/- is an iffy stat, but sometimes it's good for confirming the eye test.
http://www.scacchoops.com/wake-forest-at-louisville-basketball-live-stats-01032016

CMM killed us tonight. Absolutely flat out killed us. He was -17 in 26 minutes. Crab was -5 in 20. Everyone else who played major minutes was positive. Wilbekin and Watson were +7 and +6. The Lineup +/- below shows that Manning had the crunch time lineup figured out with Crawford, Wilbekin, and Watson as the 3 guards and things fell apart when CMM came back in the game. FT obviously hurt but CMM was a complete liability all night.

http://www.scacchoops.com/viewhdgame.asp?hSchedule=32812&bView=10

Wfu22fan just jerked off to this post somewhere

Free throws and second chance points both killed us tonight. I counted at least 14 second chance points. 12 in the first half, so at least we cleaned up that part of our game in the second half.

After the first 5 minutes or so we cleaned up our act on the defensive boards. We got murdered through the first media.

Thought we battled admirably after that against s great rebounding team.

The biggest issue is when Wilbekin and CMM are on the floor together. If going three guards, they can't be two of them.

Strong disagree that Dinos cost us the game. We know he is a defensive liability, but he played much better in the 2nd half and got a lot of boards. He should probably take more 3s, if anything.

Deacs fall short at Louisville 65-57. An inability to hit free throws an obvious reason for the loss. Questionable three point shots by Crawford, CMM and Rondale down the stretch suggest impatience and disruption of the offensive game plan. The fact that the Deacs came back to tie the game late shows the improvement of this team. Losing states there is still work to be done.

So I guess we need some better hookers re: recruiting

On this note I know a guy that can eliminate Louisville's advantage. Former football player, Craig James. He'll find a solution real quick

Meh. He's no less limited than Wilbekin.

Incorrect. Wilbekin forces the defense to guard him on the perimeter. Even if he doesn't make a shot everyone else has more room to move because they can't leave him.

Louisville was just leaving CMM with a 5 foot cushion knowing he couldn't make it. In addition Wilbekin knows what he can't do and doesn't try to do anything outside his abilities. CMM is in the tough spot of trying to figure out how to be a role player. It is a very difficult transition.

I like CMM, but he killed us tonight. The tape will not be kind.

Strong disagree that Dinos cost us the game. We know he is a defensive liability, but he played much better in the 2nd half and got a lot of boards. He should probably take more 3s, if anything.

Of course he was better, he was miserable in the first half. You have to hit those FT, we may be celebrating a win if he did.

I mean, Dinos got torched in the first half but he was our best rebounder in the 2nd half and was top 3 in scoring. Not the problem.

If you're looking for someone to blame look to our 2nd tier guys. Codi, Wilbekin, Collins, Hudson. 2 of those guys have to combine for 10 points and more than 3 boards for us to have a chance, and none of them did. At least Codi shut down Lee for most of the game and was great on the break. Terrible 3 pointer in crunch time though... That deserves whatever criticism heads his way.

A 13.5 spread was the easiest money to bank all year though. We're legit good, hope Vegas gives us 10+ against Duke as well. More free money.

Lol

As frustrated as I was in the 1st half, I agree with you. His 2nd half play was much better.

Really wish that Manning had called a timeout when we were down 4 and scuffling with the ball. Ended up with a contested CMM three attempt that everyone knew had no chance of going in. Needed two drive the ball on that possession.

This is actually a timeout complaint I can agree with.

Generally people bitch whenever Manning doesn't call a timeout after the other team makes a run or hits a couple shots. But in this game you saw it time after time after time - Wake's goal is to run after big buckets, and we hit them all game with fast break points after big makes. Timeouts sometimes kill runs, buckets always do.

But when we look lost or stagnant on offense in a critical situation - that's when I'd like to see more timeouts. Reset under the 15 second mark and run a designed play. Maybe we're not mature enough as a team yet or maybe it's just Manning lacking on the coaching end.

Whatever the case, that was a high level of basketball for most of the game. Let's go win a couple home games.

I hate it for the kid, but I don't think Codi is 100%. He cannot finish a drive. Not sure he can elevate enough to dunk. Don't know if it is physical or mental. Doesn't matter-other than defense, it really hurts the team. He is going to have adjust to a different role. We just don't need much offense from him.

CMM was great on the break? I must have been watching the wrong game.

The biggest issue is when Wilbekin and CMM are on the floor together. If going three guards, they can't be two of them.

Idk it worked fairly well in a lot of games last season. We've gotta get better against the zone if we want a chance at the tournament this year. I sincerely doubt Rondale is the answer to any of our questions. He suffers from "not terrible" syndrome where anything remotely mediocre he does comes across as a positive.

Back