• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest vs. Louisville Game Thread - Sunday. 8PM ESPNU

Just because we lost doesn't mean we aren't better with CMM. I think we definitely are. That 3 attempt with 15 seconds left was a very bad decision and hurt us. We are still better with him. There are other players that aren't as good who will see more PT if CMM isn't available.

This. See GMC & TVH. A lot of people actually believed DM was going to continue to play TVH all season lol

So, wait.

You donks are pissed at this game and weren't pissed at that Xavier debacle? This board confuses me.

We played a really good game tonight, adjusted to a horrible start and did a good job of limiting their best players on defense, and got solid, unexpected contributions from Rondale and Doral when guys above them weren't delivering.

Louisville played a good game and for the first time this year, we didn't slump and we didn't seem to cave to adversity. Overall, I'm fine with this performance and I hope that it sets the stage for the rest of what is going to be a tough ACC slate.

And CMM took a questionable shot, but players like Crab are jacking threes on 23% 3FG and y'all say they're streaky. I'm fine with a senior trying to step up big in the clutch. It wasn't like anybody really came through when it mattered most.

Most impressive, I thought, was the fact that we played great defense on the guys we likely prepared for and did a great job of adjusting once their big went off on us in the beginning. For the first time this year, we came out of halftime with momentum, put Pitino on his heels, and battled through a solid 35 minutes of that game. The first five was bad, but we looked better after that and really did a good job of adjusting to their incredibly versatile offensive players.

People weren't pissed after X? GTFOH.

There is a big difference between the post-game sentiments of the two games. IDK what thread you were reading, since you were one of the "y'all will bitch about anything" folks on that thread.

"Well, they are the #6 team in the country and we competed!"

"Well, they are the #16 ranked offense on kenpom and we competed!"

That game showcased reallllllllly bad execution on both ends of the floor. Tonight was a well-played game, with a gusty performance from a freshman and solid leadership from our mercurial star. Dinos might have played his best defensive game of the season, following the first half adjustment on Onuaku.

I'd like to see Manning use his timeouts more effectively. I'd like to see Hudson play with an ounce more restraint, move without the ball, and work a bit harder on defense. I'd like to see the staff figure out how to better integrate Codi and Bryant's offensive games - they seem as though they could be complementary in the right game plan/rotation scheme. I'd love it if we would make free throws down the stretch.

But I can't really get too pissed about that game. We executed and we gave ourselves a chance to beat a great team, rather than beating a team that lost, arguably, because they played worse than we did.

Last edited:
Dinos played 30 minutes at the 4 and Collins played 10. They defended Onuaku and Stockman who combined for 40 minutes. Our guys put up 15 points, 11 boards, and our starter had a double double. Their guys put up 12 and 16.

The low points for Dinos might make for nice posters, and the 1 and 1 was a critical miss - but the 4 spot isn't what lost that game. Our 2/3 spots put up 5 points total from our starters and their subs (Watson/Hudson/McClinton) didn't pick up the slack.

Crawford was ridiculous across the board... minus the line. 0 for 5 from the line was pretty brutal (and will probably never happen again in his lifetime).

Dinos gave up a ton of points tonight and looked like hot garbage in the first half.

Wake was a 14 pt dog tonight and a 6 pt dog vs Xavier so I was more pissed after the Xavier loss, but walk away from both games thinking Wake missed big opportunities for signature wins. Wake lost the game tonight b/c they gave up too many second chance points in the first half, missed free throws, and Devin not being able to do much inside. Most of his points were off of good feeds from Crawford. Going forward, if Wake can play as hard and as smart (only 9 TOs) as they did tonight, they will win a lot of games. Tonight's game was probably Wake's 4th hardest ACC game, so give the same effort as tonight and they will be in position to win a bunch of the other 14 games. A win Wednesday would be huge and I think everyone would be happy if they come out of that tough 4 game stretch 2-2.

Fair point. I guess I mean he did a good job pushing the ball - seemed like he was the first guy out on a lot of breaks that resulted in easy baskets. As poorly as he's been offensively, he just put up excellent back-to-back defensive performances against Lee and Simmons.

If he can just accept his role as defensive stopper and slasher/rebounder on offense, we'll be all set. If he takes another 3 like that to lose us a game he should sit the next game entirely. Brutal shot. A tenth of a second after it left his hand the entire Wake fanbase knew we'd just lost the game.

It was one questionable shot. BC had a few, too. He got bailed out by a very late call and proceeded to miss three free throws. Players can't be clutch all the time and CMM has been clutch for us quite a bit over the past two years. CMM is also an outstanding transition player, just to respond to ChrisL. He did a very good job on defense tonight, too.

I think he has accepted his role as a defensive stopper and slasher, but don't forget that last year he was the guy taking the last shot. He's slowly finding his way back on the offensive end of the floor. Hopefully the staff is able to do a better job of balancing our offense moving forward. There are plenty of other pieces that don't exactly fit together right now, either. Crab, for instance, really should focus more on getting offense off of the dribble (2/3 FG tonight and a rock solid FG percentage this year) instead of continuing to chuck the ball from outside.

Last edited:
Dinos gave up a ton of points tonight and looked like hot garbage in the first half.

Meh, Dinos did a solid job on the defensive boards for the first time this season. He also moved his feet more tonight more than he has all season. Dinos wasn't great on defense, but I'm with DCDeac on this one - he didn't lose us this game. Not even close.

Last edited:
Meh, Dinos did a solid job on the defensive boards for the first time this season. He also moved his feet more tonight than he has all season. Dinos wasn't great on defense, but I'm with DCDeac on this one - he didn't lose us this game. Not even close.

He didn't lose the game but didn't play great either. Bad shot selection cost us this game.

Dinos gave up a huge dunk on a blow by and 3 buckets on isolations. He scored 10 in 30 minutes, his opposing player scored 12 in 40 minutes. Or was Dinos responsible for guarding 2 or 3 other players as well?

Somebody needs to make a decent argument for blasting Dinos over this game because he was 2/4 from deep and had a double double. His backup played 10 minutes and got 1 rebound. Crawford, Devin, and Dinos came to play tonight. If one other Deac showed up (or if Trey had actually sat out) we'd have our first ACC win.

Dinos gave up a huge dunk on a blow by and 3 buckets on isolations. He scored 10 in 30 minutes, his opposing player scored 12 in 40 minutes. Or was Dinos responsible for guarding 2 or 3 other players as well?

Somebody needs to make a decent argument for blasting Dinos over this game because he was 2/4 from deep and had a double double. His backup played 10 minutes and got 1 rebound. Crawford, Devin, and Dinos came to play tonight. If one other Deac showed up (or if Trey had actually sat out) we'd have our first ACC win.

Is there an unwritten rule about misstating your team's injury report or something? Seemed to me a little bush-league from Pitino to go out of his way to state on his blog that Lewis was out only to back out of it a few hours before the game. I understand if you get asked about it and say he probably won't play, doubtful, etc. But to write on your own blog that he definitively won't play seems a little messed up and possibly affected how Wake practiced yesterday, gameplanned for tonight, etc. Whatever, guess nothing should surprise with that guy anymore.

Is there an unwritten rule about misstating your team's injury report or something? Seemed to me a little bush-league from Pitino to go out of his way to state on his blog that Lewis was out only to back out of it a few hours before the game. I understand if you get asked about it and say he probably won't play, doubtful, etc. But to write on your own blog that he definitively won't play seems a little messed up and possibly affected how Wake practiced yesterday, gameplanned for tonight, etc. Whatever, guess nothing should surprise with that guy anymore.

Meh, that seems like good gamesmanship by patino.

You'd think... Sounded like our coaching staff was suspicious anyway and prepared for him to play though. To be honest, no team this year has held Louisville to 65 points - even in their two losses - so it's hard to complain about what Wake did defensively. We just didn't score enough. We had 4 guys play double-digit minutes who combined for 12 points. Their counterpoints scored 23 for Louisville, and we lost by 8. Tack on 25% from the free throw line and there's really no big mystery as to why we lost.

UL's head coaches in basketball and football are not exactly trustworthy. In fact, IMO, they establish the standard for sleeze.

This would have been a nice (huge) win, but if I can only have one huge win this week it's on Wednesday. I think we beat UL, dook comes in ready for Wake. The loss makes kaye have to convince them to be worried about us.

between cmm's play and dinos getting murdered on d (and playing over collins), wfu22 should be fun tonight.
Was screaming at the TV at a sports bar for 2 hours about those two things..,

Codi is terrible and should only play six minutes a game. He should never shoot a jumper. Ever. Dinos missing the front end of the one and one when we were down two crushed my soul. We played such a good game and really could have won. I will say that is so nice to be excited about Wake basketball again. I really think we have the ability and coaching to beat anyone this year.
Well said.

Back