• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's future non-conference opponents in football

WakeForestRanger

Reaction score
So far we know, the following according to http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/acc/wake-forest-demon-deacons.php

08/30 - at ULM
09/13 - at Utah State
09/20 - Army
TBA- Western Carolina (rumored opponent)

09/26 - Indiana
11/14 - at Notre Dame
TBA - at Army

09/24 - at Indiana
TBA - Delaware
TBA - Tulane

TBA - Rice (site TBA)

TBA - Rice (site TBA)
TBA - at Tulane

TBA

TBA - Tulane

TBA

Sometime in the Future
TBA - Northern Illinois
TBA- 2 Utah State home games
TBA- Notre Dame (most likely @ home in 2018 and on the road in 2021)

Rumor from twitter says the Utah State deal is a 2 for 1 deal.

Last edited:
How crazy would it be if we were playing an Army team coached by Grobe next year?

Personally, I really like the Tulane series. Louisiana would be a great recruiting ground for us to tap especially for defensive linemen. I also like the Rice series for Texas recruiting purposes.

Indiana is a winnable game against a Big 10 team so that's not too bad.

Army should provide us with a couple of FBS wins.

Both ULM and Utah State were last minute additions when other series fell through. ULM gives us some recruiting exposure in a talent rich area, but Utah State seems like a bit of waste to play them 3 times.

All in all, our future schedules are pretty wide open. That may be intentional as the 9 game conference schedule will come up again when the division changes are discussed at the ACC winter meeting. I would like to see us set up some a few more visits to Texas. I think SMU would be a good choice in addition to Rice.

With Maryland gone, Delaware at least gets us some exposure back in the Mid-Atlantic I guess. But I'm generally against playing Div 1aa teams of this caliber.

Delaware isn't the Delaware of the early-mid 2000's anymore.

Personally, I really like the Tulane series. Louisiana would be a great recruiting ground for us to tap especially for defensive linemen. I also like the Rice series for Texas recruiting purposes.

Indiana is a winnable game against a Big 10 team so that's not too bad.

Army should provide us with a couple of FBS wins.

Both ULM and Utah State were last minute additions when other series fell through. ULM gives us some recruiting exposure in a talent rich area, but Utah State seems like a bit of waste to play them 3 times.

All in all, our future schedules are pretty wide open. That may be intentional as the 9 game conference schedule will come up again when the division changes are discussed at the ACC winter meeting. I would like to see us set up some a few more visits to Texas. I think SMU would be a good choice in addition to Rice.

With Maryland gone, Delaware at least gets us some exposure back in the Mid-Atlantic I guess. But I'm generally against playing Div 1aa teams of this caliber.

Tulane and Rice are great series for us...just like Vandy was before they got good. These are schools we compete against for regular students.

Delaware isn't the Delaware of the early-mid 2000's anymore.

You need to go back further. Thru the 70's, 80's and 90's, the Blue Hens were a powerhouse. Tubby Raymond was head coach for about 25 years and probably had one of the best win-loss records in the country during that time.
They always ran the Wing-T offense, as we did in high school.....since most of our coaches played at Delaware.
Also love their uniforms......just like Michigan.
Really excited that Wake will play them.

I have no idea why we scheduled an FCS team four or five years in advance. I haven't heard any rumors of them coming to the FBS level.

All-in-all our schedule isn't bad. I wouldn't be surprised if we never play Northern Illinois. The Tulane series is still an off shoot from 1997 or something ridiculous.

I have no idea why we scheduled an FCS team four or five years in advance. I haven't heard any rumors of them coming to the FBS level.

All-in-all our schedule isn't bad. I wouldn't be surprised if we never play Northern Illinois. The Tulane series is still an off shoot from 1997 or something ridiculous.

Yeah, we played Tulane in the dome and wasn't that the game Kuhlick broke his arm in?

I think that's fairly strong strategic scheduling. Wake should consistently be playing a non-conference schedule that makes going 4-0 or 3-1 very attainable.

Wonder if the Air Force home game will finally find its way back on the schedule now that Grobe is gone.

The expanded ACC fills a lot of our scheduling needs especially if the ACC goes to a system that speeds us through everyone in the conference.

BC and Syracuse satisfy us for the Northeast.
FSU and Miami satisfy us for Florida.
NC State, UNC and Duke satisfy us for North Carolina.
GT and Clemson satisfy us for South Carolina and Georgia.
UVa and VT satisfy us for Virginia.
Norte Dame and Louisville satisfy us for the Midwest.

In my opinion, we need our non-conference schedule to get us more exposure in Texas, Louisiana, and since Maryland is gone the Mid Atlantic Corridor from DC through New Jersey.

I would like to see us play regular non-conference series against Tulane, Rice, SMU and possibly Baylor and TCU. The Mid-Atlantic corridor is tougher to schedule. Playing Navy would help us out there some. We could schedule Maryland out of conference assuming both sides aren't too angry to do that. Rutgers and Temple are potential opponents or we could try to satisfy that need with FCS teams like Delaware, Georgetown and Villanova.

Is there any evidence of a relationship between scheduling and recruiting success?

SMU would be a logical opponent here in Texas. Used to play them back in the 70's. We need the Tx exposure for recruiting. There is so much talent here and we've gotten our fair share the past 5 years or so. IIRC, Billings was the coach with the Tx connections?

Is there any evidence of a relationship between scheduling and recruiting success?

I can't point to any formal study that has been done. But AD's and coaches around the country certainly believe it. It was a factor in Notre Dame agreeing to the scheduling agreement with the ACC. They wanted exposure in Virginia, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Carolina recruiting grounds. It was a factor in the Big Ten adding Maryland and Rutgers. They wanted New Jersey and DC/Baltimore recruits. West Virginia thinks losing annual games in Florida hurt their recruiting when moving to the Big XII. It was a factor in the Big XII adding TCU. The non-Texas teams wanted to maximize exposure in Texas. It's the reason Notre Dame agreed to a deal with Texas. It was the reason Boise State wanted San Diego State to join the Big East with them.

Think we had SMU scheduled at some point and it never happened. Could be mistaken though

If you were making the schedule for '14, would you try to get a road game for Sept 6th, so that Clawson could build the team away from the home crowd, or play a cupcake at home that weekend?

Back