• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

The University of Georgia Athletic Association is releasing the following statements addressing reports concerning the 2014 Virginia Tech-Wake Forest football game:

Statement from UGA assistant football coach Shane Beamer
“While at Virginia Tech, I was contacted by Tommy Elrod the night before our game against Wake Forest in 2014. I had known him for several years through coaching circles so I did not think it unusual he would be calling me. During these communications, however, he told me about a few plays that he said Wake Forest might run during the game on Saturday. I did not share this information with anyone, including our student-athletes, anyone on the coaching staff, or my father, nor did we use the information in the game.

“I realize I made a serious mistake in judgment by accepting the information and failing to notify officials at Virginia Tech of the communications. I sincerely apologize to Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, the ACC and the University of Georgia for my mistake. I am truly sorry.

“I am particularly remorseful to the extent my actions may have brought embarrassment to my family, and especially my Dad. Again, I apologize for my actions and have learned from my mistakes.”

Statement from UGA J. Reid Parker Director of Athletics Greg McGarity
“It was disappointing to learn that one of our current staff members, Shane Beamer, was involved with the unfortunate situation at Wake Forest University in 2014. We have discussed this situation with Shane and he sincerely regrets this mistake in judgment. As a result of this activity, the UGA Athletic Association will withhold $25,000 from his compensation, in addition to issuing a letter of reprimand from the Athletic Director.

“Conduct of this nature is unacceptable and will not be tolerated by the University of Georgia and the University of Georgia Athletic Association. We will use this as an example to remind our coaches and staff of our high expectations of ethical behavior and sportsmanship.”

Statement from UGA head football coach Kirby Smart
“Last week, Shane informed me of his involvement regarding the 2014 Virginia Tech game against Wake Forest. While we do not condone this type of behavior, I appreciate Shane informing me and our administration of his involvement and respect the way in which he is accepting responsibility for his lapse in judgment.”

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122216aaa.html?

Elrod must have been pissed when he supplied VT intel on WF, and even so, VT couldn't score a point in 4 quarters against WF, and Clawson got his first ACC win.

Elrod must have been pissed when he supplied VT intel on WF, and even so, VT couldn't score a point in 4 quarters against WF, and Clawson got his first ACC win.

One could say that Elrod got pissed on, then got pissed off? But quite a story in that Beamer's offense was so pitiful in that they couldn't score on us & even knew our defense. No wonder it was time for him to retire!

this whole thing keeps getting stranger and stranger.

Look for a movie or at least a 30 on 30 episode on this sometime......if anyone ever figures it all out

Guy behind me at the basketball game last night looked like Elrod, I did an awkward doubletake and stare.

Yep. An asswipe this vicious wouldn't have limited himself to just these four instances over 3 years. Tip of the iceberg.

Agree. It's the Kevin Bacon affect. All these coaches can find a connection with another coach. I believe he did this a lot.

So, the University of Georgia Athletic Association benefits to the tune of $25000 just because they hired someone who violated ethical conduct rules and WFU gets nothing? Doesn't seem right.

How long before "Elrod" becomes "name redacted"? Maybe instead of Name Redacted it should be "POS"

There's no comparison between the two. [Redacted] was far more successful in ruining Wake Forest athletics.

How long before Elrod can go to a wake football or basketball game as a fan? 5 years? 1 year? Never?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, the University of Georgia Athletic Association benefits to the tune of $25000 just because they hired someone who violated ethical conduct rules and WFU gets nothing? Doesn't seem right.

Ouch.

How long before Elrod can go to a wake football or basketball game as a fan? 5 years? 1 year? Never?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm. I will be surprised if he is allowed in the Piedmont-Triad.

Back