• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

I am having a difficult figuring out why Donald Ross and a view other wake fans are out there trying to placate this situation. The guy committed corporate espionage. This is not an 'aw shucks' kind of mistake. He didn't accidentally eat someone's ham sandwich in the break room. He willingly committed corporate treason. He took proprietary information and surreptitiously passed that information along to Wake Forest's competitors with the intent purpose to harm his host school. There is really no defense. I am sure Elrod was a nice guy to his friends....everyone has someone that likes him/her, but Elrod's actions are his actions and they are indisputable at this point (now that Louisville has confirmed the leak). There is no way that Wake Forest releases that press statement without having a lock solid case against Elrod. This story is only going to get worse from here for Elrod. It is a shame for his family, but decisions have consequences. He made some very poor decisions and he and his family are going to pay a heavy price for his actions.

Is Donald Ross not liking the way people are talking about the Leaking Deacon? Must be trying to beat out Jimmy Quander for that representation spot.

Now that I have the Louisville statement, as a WF alum I'm furious with MY FRIEND OF 20 YEARS Elrod. He had the legal right to do this but it's wrong. We should have never fired a man then shared our future plays with him. Elrod is a traitor. We are negligent for not recognizing that he could be.

FIFY. You forgot his official title.

Last edited:
Looks like Louisville is going to fire the assistant and move on. The story basically ends there once the assistant is gone.

As for Wake though... what happens to Clawson and his contract with WFU? Lets say for instance that he goes 1-11 with a bad recruiting class next year. Do we forget the first three years and keep him around for another three even if we fail to make a bowl for those? Things are going to get very complicated when we start looking at the bigger picture.

Life is a pretty lonely place if we can't trust people. We can have standards, but lets be reasonable. If someone is truly my friend of 20 years, but I don't want to trust that person, then either he's not really my friend or I plan to go through life without really trusting much of anybody.

Excellent post. Similar conduct in the private sector can earn severe penalties, including prison.

By far the dumbest thing I've read all day was from a post on FB where the moron asked if this type of behavior goes on other places and implied that maybe Elrod didn't do anything terribly wrong. Seriously. WTF?

Was that person a Carolina fan?

It wasn't trusting an ex employee with plays, it was trusting your play by play broadcaster who is tasked with representing the school on the radio during the game.

I think I have it figured out:

Hating on Wellman (the guy who, among other things, destroyed our storied basketball program) - Not Acceptable.

Hating on Grobe (the guy who, among other things took our beleaguered football program to multiple bowl games, an ACC Championship, and an Orange Bowl) - totally acceptable.

Shouldn't the focus be on Elrod and anyone else that was complicit? Just saying.

The Ron Wellman playbook for scandal is the following:

1.) Shocking Unprofessionalism
2.) Staggering Incompetence
3.) Appalling Pandering
4.) Abominable Browbeating

so Galloway makes $600+ a year?!? holy shit. is that going to blow up too? im sure Petrino wants him to fall on the sword...

Lonnie and Tommy, The Dynamic Douche Bags! Coaching careers are over. It could not happen to two nicer guys. I really feel sorry for those cheatin' bastards.

Love this one from the UofL boards....

This looks bad, especially with how the media is reporting it but honestly, Louisville is in no fault here. If anything, Wake Forest cheated themselves. UofL did not seek out any of the information provided but it was essentially handed to them by Wake Forest. The sad part is, I guarantee we aren't the first team this guy has sent gameplan information to, especially since hes been doing this since 2014. We're just the first to get "caught".

I am having a difficult figuring out why Donald Ross and a view other wake fans are out there trying to placate this situation. The guy committed corporate espionage. This is not an 'aw shucks' kind of mistake. He didn't accidentally eat someone's ham sandwich in the break room. He willingly committed corporate treason. He took proprietary information and surreptitiously passed that information along to Wake Forest's competitors with the intent purpose to harm his host school. There is really no defense. I am sure Elrod was a nice guy to his friends....everyone has someone that likes him/her, but Elrod's actions are his actions and they are indisputable at this point (now that Louisville has confirmed the leak). There is no way that Wake Forest releases that press statement without having a lock solid case against Elrod. This story is only going to get worse from here for Elrod. It is a shame for his family, but decisions have consequences. He made some very poor decisions and he and his family are going to pay a heavy price for his actions.

ummm wake sports are a non-profit not a corporation. so it really isn't a big deal because they are all just doing it for the joy of the game and not because it's a billion dollar industry.

so Galloway makes $600+ a year?!? holy shit. is that going to blow up too? im sure Petrino wants him to fall on the sword...

Too late for that! I am sure that he is being ran out of town right now... after he accepted a position at UNC :cam:

Are there people actually blaming Wellman and the AD for putting Elrod in a position where his morals could be compromised? Do you also blame Budweiser when someone gets a DUI?

ummm wake sports are a non-profit not a corporation. so it really isn't a big deal because they are all just doing it for the joy of the game and not because it's a billion dollar industry.

Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back