• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

MDMH, what's better? This or your wedding day? You must be loving this.
I'm honestly not loving this. I may be a hardcore UK fan, but I love Wake. UK is a hobby, Wake Forest and Winston Salem is my home.

Wakeyleaks says this is the first time a disgruntled employee stuck it to his boss.

"Did we cheat a little? I mean, yeah, we did BUT our bowl preparation is the real victim here."

I am having a difficult figuring out why Donald Ross and a view other wake fans are out there trying to placate this situation. The guy committed corporate espionage. This is not an 'aw shucks' kind of mistake. He didn't accidentally eat someone's ham sandwich in the break room. He willingly committed corporate treason. He took proprietary information and surreptitiously passed that information along to Wake Forest's competitors with the intent purpose to harm his host school. There is really no defense. I am sure Elrod was a nice guy to his friends....everyone has someone that likes him/her, but Elrod's actions are his actions and they are indisputable at this point (now that Louisville has confirmed the leak). There is no way that Wake Forest releases that press statement without having a lock solid case against Elrod. This story is only going to get worse from here for Elrod. It is a shame for his family, but decisions have consequences. He made some very poor decisions and he and his family are going to pay a heavy price for his actions.

Last edited:
"Did we cheat a little? I mean, yeah, we did BUT our bowl preparation is the real victim here."

.@KySportsRadio on Louisville AD Tom Jurich's statement:

"It's like stealing a TV & saying 'it's fine I'm not signed up for cable'"

Louisville's explanation seems very similar to this:

I am having a difficult figuring out why Donald Ross and a view other wake fans are out there trying to placate this situation. The guy committed corporate espionage. This is not an 'aw shucks' kind of mistake. He didn't accidentally eat someone's ham sandwich in the break room. He willingly committed corporate treason. He took proprietary information and surreptitiously passed that information along to Wake Forest's competitors with the intent purpose to harm his host school. There is really no defense. I am sure Elrod was a nice guy to his friends....everyone has someone that likes him/her, but Elrod's actions are his actions and they are indisputable at this point (now that Louisville has confirmed the leak). There is no way that Wake Forest releases that press statement without having a lock solid case against Elrod. This story is only going to get worse from here for Elrod. It is a shame for his family, but he decisions have consequences and he made some very poor decisions and he and his family are going to pay a heavy price for his actions.

Agreed: total shit show.

Louisville's Defense basically boils down to this...

The issue here isn't whether we broke a few rules or took a few liberties with our female guests....we did /wink/...

Plus it's not like Elrod killed our vibes by releasing private medical records

Good point

Elrod-1024x538.jpg

I am having a difficult figuring out why Donald Ross and a view other wake fans are out there trying to placate this situation. The guy committed corporate espionage. This is not an 'aw shucks' kind of mistake. He didn't accidentally eat someone's ham sandwich in the break room. He willingly committed corporate treason. He took proprietary information and surreptitiously passed that information along to Wake Forest's competitors with the intent purpose to harm his host school. There is really no defense. I am sure Elrod was a nice guy to his friends....everyone has someone that likes him/her, but Elrod's actions are his actions and they are indisputable at this point (now that Louisville has confirmed the leak). There is no way that Wake Forest releases that press statement without having a lock solid case against Elrod. This story is only going to get worse from here for Elrod. It is a shame for his family, but decisions have consequences. He made some very poor decisions and he and his family are going to pay a heavy price for his actions.

Now that I have the Louisville statement, as a WF alum I'm furious with Elrod. He had the legal right to do this but it's wrong. We should have never fired a man then shared our future plays with him. Elrod is a traitor. We are negligent for not recognizing that he could be.

Plus it's not like Elrod killed our vibes by releasing private medical records

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, it's not like telling all the defensive coaches that Wofford has a shoulder injury, can't throw, we have no other QB's so go ahead and stacking 9 in the box would make any difference! But forget the plays, Petrino didn't look at them anyway.

Now that I have the Louisville statement, as a WF alum I'm furious with Elrod. He had the legal right to do this but it's wrong. We should have never fired a man then shared our future plays with him. Elrod is a traitor. We are negligent for not recognizing that he could be.

barristerwig2.jpg

Did he have the legal right to do this? Sharing trade secrets? Surely Wake/IMG would have had him sign an NDA at some point...

giphy.gif

Excellent post. Similar conduct in the private sector can earn severe penalties, including prison.

By far the dumbest thing I've read all day was from a post on FB where the moron asked if this type of behavior goes on other places and implied that maybe Elrod didn't do anything terribly wrong. Seriously. WTF?

Would he have a legal right if he used a Wake owned computer to transmit the info? Wake owns the company he worked for, right? I'm sure we have the computer at this point.

I mean, this is kind of basic. But too many people buy into the "family" bullshit to get it. "OMG there's no way Wellman could have known that a fired employee could seek revenge! How could he have known?"

Back