• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

This was written by a player's Mother. Damn you Elrod.

"Wow!! Just wow!!! As a parent of a player for Wake Forest, this breaks my heart. I know how hard my son and his teammates worked to have a great season. I am so proud of these boys for giving it their all and winning the games they won. It is incomprehensible to even imagine how someone could betray the trust of the school, (that paid for his education)players; who probably looked up to him, and the coaches; that trusted him. He will have to answer for his actions, be held accountable for what he did, and now that he is all over the news. I'm sure even apologize not only to the school, players, coaches, and staff that he betrayed. I'm sure his family is disappointed in his actions and the embarrassment he has also caused them!! Shame on you Tommy Elrod!"

This is hindsight, but if it's your friend telling you this, you've gotta have the frank discussion with him, right? In terms of the morally correct thing to do anyway?

"Dude, why are you telling me this? You know how much trouble we could get in? You've gotta cut it out now or I'm gonna come clean."

At which Elrod responds, "If you come clean, we'll both go down because you can't prove you didn't use what I gave you."

At which Elrod responds, "If you come clean, we'll both go down because you can't prove you didn't use what I gave you."

Not if it's reported before the game in question occurs.

Pretty sure there would be a lenient response for the whistle-blower in this situation as the more ethical of the two parties.

No one is going to question your integrity if you blow the whistle before the game.

Yeah and if that's going to be your response it probably comes before Elrod would've had the chance to pass on much, if any information.

Telling the head coach is the best place to start. If the head coach decides to bury it, however, you have an obligation to report it to the NCAA yourself. For one thing, that's the right thing to do. For another thing, practically speaking, if the shit hits the fan, you can be damn well sure that the head coach is going to do everything he can to avoid being the one left hung out to dry.
I would have no such obligation. If I didn't accept the info or use it, why would anyone be hung out to dry?

I would have no such obligation. If I didn't accept the info or use it, why would anyone be hung out to dry?

images

Pretty sure there would be a lenient response for the whistle-blower in this situation as the more ethical of the two parties.

Ah yes. I remember the old saying, "Snitches get cookies and a hug."

No one is going to question your integrity if you blow the whistle before the game.

Not sure how someone can be allowed to coach in a game if they admit receiving information about the opposing team.

Yeah and if that's going to be your response it probably comes before Elrod would've had the chance to pass on much, if any information.

Right. All this assumes Elrod gave some elaborate introduction over the phone or the subject line of the email was One Trick Play Clawson Will Use to Beat You and Galloway had a chance to turn it down. If Elrod just texted him pics of some plays, Galloway was already compromised.

But in a "he said, she said" scenario, which is what your hypothetical would be, no one knows if you really are a whistle blower. You would be portrayed as trying to unfairly undermine the other guy's integrity. You've never had a run-in with an HR department have you.

It seems to me that, in the real world, a coach who receives unethical information about the other team would likely recognize it as such pretty easily, likely before any real information was conveyed. If the hypothetical you are posing is a situation where the coach absorbs some of the information before realizing what it is (or views it with bad motives and has a change of heart) then the right answer, assuming everyone involved wants the game to go forward, is for the coach to sit that game out. Better to sit out a game with clean hands than being caught later and sitting out the game for the rest of your life.

So we're in agreement. Good.

Question: if Wolford's Dad sues, who does he sue? Elrod? The schools who received information from him? Wake for permitting the leak to occur?

I practice employment law. So, yes. I deal with HR departments every day.

Also, emails leave paper trails, so to speak.
Doesn't have to be email, one can speak. Practicing employment law and having a run-in with HR are two completely different things.

This bothers me. And it bothers me more that it doesn't seem to bother many others.

MSD handed this guy an approx $200K a year job and a radio gig. I'm tired of the cronyism at MSD. I'm tired of this assumption that people from within the "family" are somehow more virtuous or more qualified than people who aren't Wake alums. Our athletic department keeps getting burned by cronyism. Hire the best people possible instead. Hire winners and then maybe we can win.

It is hard to say what he was making at this particular job but this position he had was at an investment type place set up specifically for the Wake Forest endowment and other college type endowments and looking deeper into it was set up by Wake Forest trustees. So MSD as you say gave him several positions after he was gone from football. Maybe technically he was just transitioned over to another area at MSD. Any way around it he has screwed himself in the job world for a long time as he will always be a Benedict Arnold carrying the knife.

Back