• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Golf 2024 - Going Back to Cali for the NCAA Title; Women: May 17-22; Men May 24-29

There are 15,500 golf courses in the US. Pick 6 for regionals, similar to basketball. There would be no advantage for any team, other than proximity. If you must have it at a "home" course, have the top 20 in the rankings on April 1st "reserve their course" and whoever finishes ranked 1-8 gets the advantage. There are ways to do it.

Last year in Men's: Ohio State was ranked #35 and hosted a regional and finished 3rd and advanced
Texas A&M #12 hosted and finished 3rd and advanced
Yale-Unranked- 2nd DFL- Wake won this regional as the 17th ranked team
Oklahoma #1- won the regional by 10 strokes
FAU hosted but didn't participate- note * Loyola Maryland finished 115 shots behind the winner at +95
Pacific hosted but didn't participate. Weber St finished dfl and was a mere 63 shots off the lead

Really interesting stuff and apparently these host are determined well in advance. And teams still have to qualify, regardless of hosting.

Last year in Men's: Ohio State was ranked #35 and hosted a regional and finished 3rd and advanced
Texas A&M #12 hosted and finished 3rd and advanced
Yale-Unranked- 2nd DFL- Wake won this regional as the 17th ranked team
Oklahoma #1- won the regional by 10 strokes
FAU hosted but didn't participate- note * Loyola Maryland finished 115 shots behind the winner at +95
Pacific hosted but didn't participate. Weber St finished dfl and was a mere 63 shots off the lead

Really interesting stuff and apparently these host are determined well in advance. And teams still have to qualify, regardless of hosting.
Yeah, the bid process for the 2023-2026 golf regionals started in mid-2021, and they were awarded in April of 2022. You can't just decide two weeks before an event takes place that you're going to host a regional (or any post-season event that involves 12-15 teams) and pull off a competent event.

Wake Forest is the designated host school at Bermuda Run CC - East Course for 2024 (women's regional) and 2026 (men's regional), fyi.
Wake hosted at Bermuda Run in 1986 and men win for Jesse Haddock (Kite, Andrade, Mattiace) in the huge comeback win over Ok St and Verplank. Women have hosted several regionals at Salem Glen over the years when Dianne Dailey was our coach.

I've never played the East course, but thought it was a decent track??? Is it not long enough for today's college players? I mean, you aren't going to have Old Town Club offering to host a Men's Golf regional.
It is a great course. It also hosts the pre & Monday qualifying for the PGA’s Wyndham tourney in August.

TCU and Florida are both +5 early, so its looking like 4 teams competiting for 3 spots.

They also started on the back nine, which I think is definitely the harder of the two nines at NC State's course (10-13 and 18 are difficult holes).

Solid day so far. Wake T3 nearing the halfway point of the day. 6 shots out of the regional title spot and 6 shots clear of the cut.

I am baffled at how we only managed 3 birdies on #1 over three days. I would have thought that would be an easy birdie hole for college golfers. It looks like other schools tore it up. Just need to keep coasting on the back 9 and we should be through.

FSU was -4 on front 9 and then +4 on back 9 so could be nailbiting time on back 9. It appears some golfers individually have really blown up on back 9 so hopefully we stay solid.

I am baffled at how we only managed 3 birdies on #1 over three days. I would have thought that would be an easy birdie hole for college golfers. It looks like other schools tore it up. Just need to keep coasting on the back 9 and we should be through.
Same with the 4th. There were 4 total bogeys on 4 today and Wake had two of them. 298 yard par 4 that played the easiest on the course the first two days.

We are only 4 shots up on 6th. It's gonna be close, just need to stay solid.

Fading just a little bit but everybody starting to drop overall. Lead is now att -6, Wake is T4 at E with a four shot cushion over the cut line, 14th ranked FSU. Wake has the third best score of the day so far at -1 overall.

Not a lot of birdies recently and a lot of golf left to play. Our #5 golfer's score currently counts and just bogeyed back to back holes so hoping she can regain some confidence or could lose 3 strokes real fast.....

Not a lot of birdies recently and a lot of golf left to play. Our #5 golfer's score currently counts and just bogeyed back to back holes so hoping she can regain some confidence or could lose 3 strokes real fast.....
fortunately ASU seems to be falling apart slightly worse than us as +7 the last 3 holes for the team, so hopefully another team that could slide behind us.

Only 2 shots up on 6th and ASU got a couple of birdies. Definitely need some of our leaders to step up and make some shots or going to be another painful ending...

Trending south. Get some birdies coming in.

The middle of the back is the hardest stretch on the course

Golfstat says a North Texas player aced a 391-yard par 4, but I'm going to chalk that one up as an error

Back