• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Hires Kevin Higgins (Citadel HC) As Assistant Head Coach

I'm gonna go with my co-worker who is a UT grad and about their biggest fan ever and disagree with you on that mess being Clawson's fault.

My point isn't to lump ALL of the blame. My point is to say that coaches are better at different things.

We were going to be bad Buzz's first year, but he made us even worse. I think the same could be said for Claws on at UT from the UT fans I've talked to. Mess or not, the offense was one of TN's worst. But he's a hell of a head coach and that's the position we hired him for.

I need Sandlapper Spike's take

I just found out about this 30 minutes ago...amazing what happens when you're offline for a few hours...

Higgins was a spread guy at Lehigh, and when he started at The Citadel. He switched to the triple option four years ago when he finally decided that running the spread at a military college may not be the way to go.

He was popular with players and got along with alums. Well-liked. Enjoys golf. His son was a walkon on one of Urban Meyer's title teams at Florida. Daughter is a really good golfer, in college someplace now.

Higgins generally adhered to and accepted the restrictions that can make it hard to win at The Citadel. He made a couple of mistakes early in his tenure on that front (and got badly burned as a result), but seemed to "get it" after that.

Having said all that, he had one year left on his contract, and I am not surprised he took this opportunity. There was a growing sense of frustration within part of the fan base that the program wasn't turning the corner. Last season was a major disappointment, and he acknowledged as much.

I know that he had an offer to become the offensive coordinator at Iowa two years ago, and seriously considered making that move before deciding to stay in Charleston.

Good info. Thanks.

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop 2m
Spoke w a number of guys about Kevin Higgins accepting WRs / AHC job at Wake. "He just really wanted to be at the FBS level".

Why would a former NFL WR coach switch to the triple option? Certainly worked in 2012.

He doesn't seem to have been under fire. Maybe he wanted to work with The Claw again. Who knows?

Didn't catch that history.

Higgins made ~$220k at The Citadel. Hard to imagine someone his age taking both a pay and seniority cut. Interesting.

Many of the private schools don't have their assistant coach salaries listed (Wake, Notre Dame, Duke etc.) Does look like a lot of coaches fit in the $150K - $250K bracket.

Some coaches make better assistants and some are better head coaches. Clawson sucked epically as an OC at TN, but he has won a championship/conference at every place he's been a head coach.

So you are saying Lobo will make a great HC?

Maybe Ron is going all in on the football salaries at the potential expense of hiring a serious replacement for Bz. It's a thought. He may be banking on Ron getting to 20 wins this year as crazy as that may sound. If he's not facing a basketball hire in March then he can ladle out a little more money for football assistants. There's no way Clawson isn't getting paid top dollar as an entry level ACC coach. Just no way. So, to get a Higgins you have to be talking $250k. And who the hell knows what Grobe's exit is costing Wake. But the good news for Wellman is the TV dollars just get bigger.

WF is also getting some extra $$$ with FSU playing for BCS championship and Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

Why would a former NFL WR coach switch to the triple option? Certainly worked in 2012.

He doesn't seem to have been under fire. Maybe he wanted to work with The Claw again. Who knows?

The military academies generally run option because it suits their personel. They have a hard time attracting great players and big linemen .

My point isn't to lump ALL of the blame. My point is to say that coaches are better at different things.

We were going to be bad Buzz's first year, but he made us even worse. I think the same could be said for Claws on at UT from the UT fans I've talked to. Mess or not, the offense was one of TN's worst. But he's a hell of a head coach and that's the position we hired him for.
Maybe he had shitty players that year. Fat Phil was slipping before that .

I'm glad he's got signifigant option experience. IMO, unless you have an absolute pure passer, you need some element of the option in college football. Even if it is just a hint of it.

hiring an old cronie who is languishing in mediocrity at a lesser program.......

Clawson is learning the Wellman Way!

;)

hiring an old cronie who is languishing in mediocrity at a lesser program.......

Clawson is learning the Wellman Way!

;)

This guy did well considering the inherent limitations at the Citadel. Coaches are all cronies to some extent. I like this hire .

Back