• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake / Jackets Game Thread

I have no problem with the Nikita dunk. These guys have been through some shitty blowouts for most of this season. I have no problem with rubbin a little salt in someone else's wound. No doubt GT or any other team struggling like we have would have done the same thing.

No problem except Bz clearly told him not to do it, and then he goes ahead and does it anyway. Bz deserves to be angry. And Nikita deserves to be running stairs.

At the end of the game it was as loud as it has been all season in that arena. I doubt he heard him. Especially with the language difference.

I bet those 78 students and 200 blue hairs in the lower deck were going bananas.

If Wake had games like this, games where the players play hard and execute at least one core part of the game well, on any kind of a consistent basis, even if we didn't always win them, then most buzzouters would probably be buzzwaiters.

:rofl:

Really? You think more games like last night will convince most people that Bzz might be the right guy?

:rofl:

Really? You think more games like last night will convince most people that Bzz might be the right guy?

Actually, yes. If we were to beat the bad teams in the ACC on a regular basis and not get blown out by the mediocre to very good teams, I think a lot more people would be Bzz-wait. If you're undermanned but still competitive, that's a sign of decent coaching. If you're barely undermanned (against a team like Clemson) and get blown out at home, that's not good.

Actually, yes. If we were to beat the bad teams in the ACC on a regular basis and not get blown out by the mediocre to very good teams, I think a lot more people would be Bzz-wait. If you're undermanned but still competitive, that's a sign of decent coaching. If you're barely undermanned (against a team like Clemson) and get blown out at home, that's not good.

I agree with this FWIW.

Haven't looked back through the entire thread so not sure if this has been mentioned. My favorite quote from last night was Gminski, when talking about how ugly the game was, said "You could build a house with all of these bricks".

Glad for the win but dang that was one ugly game.

That was the same type of win our first Maryland game almost was. We just have to know that we're limited on offense and Travis has to be relentless. Then on the defensive end we have to absolutely lock it down.

Actually, those games are oddly similar. CJ went for 10 points instead of 8 but was off both nights. Chase went 1/7 instead of 1/9 for 3 points in both. McKie blew up for 25 and 23, mostly in the 2nd half of both, going 6/8 from deep in the two games combined.

It would be great if at some point in our final few games we could have just one half where we played great defense, got McKie involved on offense, and Chase hit some shots.

CJ/Tony/Nikita are usually going to get what they get. Those seem like our 3 keys.

I guess I'm not sure how a game against GT, a team we're not undermanned against, changes that. If we're undermanned and still pick off a couple wins against the middle/top ACC teams, sure, I'd have some hope in the coach. If we just take care of business against teams like GT that have the same talent or less than us and still lose all of the games against "better teams", I don't see the signs of decent coaching. I see that as signs that we're doing what's expected. Given Bzz's limitations coming in, I get the feeling he would need to go above and beyond just doing what is expected for many Bzzouters to move to Bzzwait. It's as if the bar has been lowered so much, just doing what we should is now considered great.

I'm sure beating teams like GT and other shit teams might sway a few Bzzouters back to Waiters, but I don't think it would sway "most" as the TBR indicated. I could see maybe grabbing back some of the Outers that have moved from Wait over the course of this season.

Last edited:
That was the same type of win our first Maryland game almost was. We just have to know that we're limited on offense and Travis has to be relentless. Then on the defensive end we have to absolutely lock it down.

Actually, those games are oddly similar. CJ went for 10 points instead of 8 but was off both nights. Chase went 1/7 instead of 1/9 for 3 points in both. McKie blew up for 25 and 23, mostly in the 2nd half of both, going 6/8 from deep in the two games combined.

It would be great if at some point in our final few games we could have just one half where we played great defense, got McKie involved on offense, and Chase hit some shots.

CJ/Tony/Nikita are usually going to get what they get. Those seem like our 3 keys.
Yea. I mean, we know what we have and what we don't have. If we're going to win at all, it's going to be ugly. That doesn't excuse our 20+ point losses to teams like State, Clemson, and UVA, but if you're looking for those 2004-2005 era 92-78ish wins, you've come to the wrong place.

Either TC or Nikita has to be the worst starter in Wake history - at least since I have paid attention in the mid-1990s. I just can't decide which. I admire their effort, but they are just awful basketball players.

I certainly do not think [Redacted] is the answer for Wake but it speaks volumes that those 2 have start and play 30+ minutes per night. They would never have left the bench even on some of our NIT teams around 1999-2000.

Last edited:
deacz...it is clearly TC. Nikita will at least shoot the ball and bang in the post. yes, he may shoot to much but we have a lot of players that are scared to do anything but Nikita has no fear. we would be a much worse team without him.

btw...i am not saying that he would start for one of those NIT teams but he is more valuable to this team. TC is out of control most of the time, imo.

There have been moments when the players look more than competent: Chase can hit some shots in rhythm, CJ can shoot from anywhere on the floor when given space, Mckie can be a warrior when he's inspired, Walker can completely disrupt the lane when our guards force penetration instead of giving up wide open jump shots.

It's the shitty screens, bad spacing on offense and defense, bad blocking out on rebounds, bad transition defense, careless turnovers and Nikita's continued three-pointers that makes everyone doubt the coaching staff.

This team is limited, but it's not as terrible as we're seeing on a bi-weekly basis.

deacz...it is clearly TC. Nikita will at least shoot the ball and bang in the post. yes, he may shoot to much but we have a lot of players that are scared to do anything but Nikita has no fear. we would be a much worse team without him.

btw...i am not saying that he would start for one of those NIT teams but he is more valuable to this team. TC is out of control most of the time, imo.

I agree we would be worse without Nikita, and that's my point. We have so little that he and TC need to play a lot of minutes. I hope next year's class is better than billed, but they will still be freshmen. Get a new, young coach in here after this season to build with those players and I think we will see improvement.

There have been moments when the players look more than competent: Chase can hit some shots in rhythm, CJ can shoot from anywhere on the floor when given space, Mckie can be a warrior when he's inspired, Walker can completely disrupt the lane when our guards force penetration instead of giving up wide open jump shots.

It's the shitty screens, bad spacing on offense and defense, bad blocking out on rebounds, bad transition defense, careless turnovers and Nikita's continued three-pointers that makes everyone doubt the coaching staff.

This team is limited, but it's not as terrible as we're seeing on a bi-weekly basis.

For some reason this made me laugh. I think of a big viking warrior who constantly dribbles the ball of his foot.

Back