• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Ken Pom Thread: 2014-15 Preaseason = 104, Currently = 125 Season Over

I have a bet with somebody over/under 5. I have thought we would win 5 or 6 games since we played Richmond and Seton Hall close. 4-14 would be worse than last year.

We are better than we were last year. I suspect we will win 6 conference games or so, including a few over top 100 teams and we will beat a NIT/NCAA quality team once this year.

Who do you think we will beat? This year's BC team is apparently much better than last year's. Virginia Tech and Ga Tech seem to be better than last year. And we only play Clemson once. If we get more than three wins from those 4 teams, I will be surprised. The only way we beat anyone else is if we "catch them on their worst day academically"... ;)

I know the guys on the team desperately want to beat N.C. State. They are tired of hearing about how good all their freshmen are because they've been playing with them since they were all young. They know they can hang and play with them, especially the guys from NC.

Maybe in a pick-up game. But with Buzz on their sideline and Gottfried on the other sideline? Not a chance...

Last edited:
Count me as one who does not expect an imminent big dip. I don't think we'll re-enter the [Redacted] zone this year. I wrote a long (poorly articulated) post on this a little while ago, but I do not expect this year to follow the same KenPom pattern as the past two years. Time will tell I guess.

i think it was well articulated. i agree with the sentiment.

BC was ranked #240 last year, lost to us twice and still won 4 games. The bottom of the ACC is better this year.

The team is obviously improving, but you throw a bunch of young kids together who have never played together as a team, and of course they're going to improve over time. I think what's most important though, is how far up do any of us really expect a Buzz team to go? So yeah, we have improved from 210 to 156, who cares? If he can't improve from 156 to 50 by the end of this year with a clear trajectory to 25 by next year, that's unacceptable. Like I said earlier though, Ron doesn't care, he does what he wants.

The team is obviously improving, but you throw a bunch of young kids together who have never played together as a team, and of course they're going to improve over time. I think what's most important though, is how far up do any of us really expect a Buzz team to go? So yeah, we have improved from 210 to 156, who cares? If he can't improve from 156 to 50 by the end of this year with a clear trajectory to 25 by next year, that's unacceptable. Like I said earlier though, Ron doesn't care, he does what he wants.

For context Dino finished 75 with JT, JJ and Ish (3 NBA players), and 25 with them and AFA (4 NBA players). So maybe a bit too optimistic, but we should see continued improvement - already down from over 200 just a few weeks ago.

For context Dino finished 75 with JT, JJ and Ish (3 NBA players), and 25 with them and AFA (4 NBA players). So maybe a bit too optimistic, but we should see continued improvement - already down from over 200 just a few weeks ago.

Since when did Dino become the example of great coaching?

I'd take the over on 6 for my house, but as a general economic principle I don't bet with anonymous people, whom I don't know, and seem to dis-like me on internet boards.

If it would make me eligible to take that wager, I'd be willing to go to undesirable lengths to shed my anonymity with you.

I understand you're trolling... but, to take the bait, you're in a thread dedicated to a statistical system which projects an ~11% chance of us having >6 wins. If you're o/u is a flat 6, we'd have about a 15% of pushing.

If you're willing to give 1:1 on a wager that Vegas would assign at least 3:1 on, the offer stands to meet you in person. I'll need some fellow #buzzouts to finance the mortgage that we'd be putting up against you.

I will join in that venture.

Schwabber's house is probably worth, what? 100k?

We've had a mild winning streak every year Bzz has been here, and each year it's meant nothing. We're playing better then we were a month ago, but there's no reason beyond optimism to believe it's going to continue.
2011-12: Between Dec 18 and January 7th we went 4-1.
2010-11: Between Nov 23 and December 15th we went 4-1.

I know you want to hate everything associated with the team because of [Redacted] but this isn't the same as the last two years at all. The ranks in the last two years we stayed almost exactly the same in the midst of those winning "streaks" (2012: Started streak at 167, ended streak at 171; 2011: Started streak at 159, ended it at 157). This year we started the "streak" at 208 and are now 169. This doesn't mean that we might not get blown out a couple times because we are a young team, but to say that there hasn't been improvement is ridiculous and undermines actual points about [Redacted] and shortcomings of the team.

I know you want to hate everything associated with the team because of [Redacted] but this isn't the same as the last two years at all. The ranks in the last two years we stayed almost exactly the same in the midst of those winning "streaks" (2012: Started streak at 167, ended streak at 171; 2011: Started streak at 159, ended it at 157). This year we started the "streak" at 208 and are now 169. This doesn't mean that we might not get blown out a couple times because we are a young team, but to say that there hasn't been improvement is ridiculous and undermines actual points about [Redacted] and shortcomings of the team.

Something to consider along with this is the fact that we've started out ~50 spots lower in the rankings each year.

2011: #107
2012: #156
2013: #206

As we've discussed, KP's preseason rankings are next to meaningless (and they certainly do not work in a young teams favor). Diagnosing improvement based on ranks settling in once data exists is rather absurd.

The chart I've posted doesn't say much at all about 2013 yet; other than that we find ourselves on almost exactly the same step of the ladder where we've been pushed off each of the past two years.

I'm all for optimism and all... but doing so after two straight years of the team falling off a cliff with this clown as our coach is a bit silly at this point.

Late January... Not sure if the actual date changes from year to year based on when games are played, but I think it is usually at the start of the last week in January.

I'm all for optimism and all... but doing so after two straight years of the team falling off a cliff with this clown as our coach is a bit silly at this point.

Nobody on this thread has been optimistic besides Schwabber from what I've seen. Explaining how/why stats are better doesn't equal optimism.

Back