• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Maryland Game Thread

what the fuck is dcdeac talking about on this thread?

It wasn't just Padgett. He only played 19 minutes.

Pankey also got six offensive rebounds.

I should have said Travis got abused by MD on the boards.

Travis is a good reboundin g 3 man, not a 4. He cannot handle these guys inside

So, according to Turgeon, Buzzy changed our offense for the second half to emphasize driving to the hoop over taking threes. Good move Buzz.

So, if you drive to the glass, why don't you get calls from the refs?

Also good point by Buzz about our players having to learn and know whom to guard closely on the outside shot and whom not.

So, according to Turgeon, Buzzy changed our offense for the second half to emphasize driving to the hoop over taking threes. Good move Buzz.

So, if you drive to the glass, why don't you get calls from the refs?

Also good point by Buzz about our players having to learn and know whom to guard closely on the outside shot and whom not.

Wish we had done it earlier, but yes that was a good adjustment since jump shots were not falling.

I give Buzz a good grade for last night but the reoccurring problem has yet to be improved (REBOUNDING!!)
The win against VT was not due to coaching at all bc we looked like a confused middle school team out there!
I will say that it feels good to be steaming mad at the officials instead of Buzzie boy!!

I give Buzz a good grade for last night but the reoccurring problem has yet to be improved (REBOUNDING!!)
The win against VT was not due to coaching at all bc we looked like a confused middle school team out there!
I will say that it feels good to be steaming mad at the officials instead of Buzzie boy!!

Totally disagree. We rebounded phenomenally well against VTech. Rebounding is about effort and that effort has to start in practice, you don't just suddenly find it in a game -that according to all the top coaches anyway. So if we rebounded well against VTech, some of the credit has to go to the staff.

I looked at that Maryland team and saw players with a great strength coach. I will interested to see if we are that "strong" next year after a full off season with our new strength coach.

We didn't rebound well last night so you should be able to blame the staff to some degree for last night, not VTech.

I don't think you understand the psychology of playing under the lights where your game, your team and your person are all out on the floor to be judged. We clamped up against VTech due to fear of failure having nothing to do with bzz but everything to do with psychology. Any team 1-15 the previous year is going to be at least anxious with a lead in their first conference home game the following year. I guess you could say that goes for the staff too, but I think until we get a few wins under our belts in the conference, you should expect nerves in the final 5 minutes of close home games. Conversely, if we keep close on the road against teams in our boat (Clemson, Tech, and now VTech and maybe State), we might be at an advantage with not too much to lose and everything to gain.

BC is the only road game I would assume we would have nerves for fear of losing.

I will give you the rebounding performance in the VT game but everything else about that game was sloppy at best. What I saw was a non-cohesive team forgetting the fundamentals of basketball. ( Pulling up low percentage shots with nobody under the basket, moving the wrong direction on screens, lack of communication between the players, driving for lay-ups with 3 defenders on you!) in other words they did not looked like a coached team.
Aside from the rebounding struggles last night I thought it was a HUGE improvement from the VT game so biggups to the DEACS!!

Wake Forest Head Coach Jeff [Redacted]
Opening statement:
"We dug ourselves a hole early on in the game with a lack of offensive efficiency"

On if the first-half deficit was just too big to overcome:
"A little bit yes, it was just too deep."

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/011112aac.html

Turgeon actually alluded to the foul situation in there as well. It comes across almost as guilty sounding:

"We've seen that recipe before. We played pretty well in the first half - it was actually the best first half we played all year. We really guarded, played great team defense, shared the ball and we were deep. A lot of guys played well in the first half, we built that lead to get up by 16 at the half. There was really no flow to the second half. There were fouls which benefitted us in the end, but there was no flow to the game and we weren't very good."

Buzz in since 2010. Dude wears some busted ass ties, but is doing a fine job with a shitty situation.

First time seeing these Deacs in person - its clear Travis tries to do too much. Maybe because he knows that he and CJ are the only true scorers on the team.

Also, after watching last night's game, its depressing to look at Ty Walker's Wake career. He really does have the tools to excel - he's just not there mentally.

CJ reminds me of a more athletic Taron Downey, but he doesn't always have the killer instinct that Taron had (although he showed flashes of it in the VT game).

If Chase can develop a quicker trigger, he's going to be special.

What I find interesting about Bzzz's post game is he doesn't sugar coat it. Most are satisfied with the effort but he still focuses on what we should have done better.

He does recognize good things players do but doesn't sound happy with 'some' good things happening.

I consider myself BzWait and some on here would probably consider me BzIn, but I think [Redacted]'s post-game comments were too negative. I think one of his weaknesses is an inability to show optimism in the face of defeat (at least publicly).

Obviously something is getting these kids motivated to play harder than they would have last year, but I think coaches need to be more complimentary of their players in post-game interviews.

I agree with. Seems TC wants to drive too much without any real plan of what he might do with the ball. If he was as good a free-throw shooter as CJ I'd feel better about it.

He's not really like that in the half court offense, though. He really only does those off-balance, tunnel vision drives after our play is dead with under :10 on the shotclock.

I still think that we have to get our bigs to move better on offense, setting good screens and rolling strong to the basket. We're running a lot of plays for Travis and CJ to receive the ball at the top of the key and Ty and Carson are just lolligagging along with no purpose... Spacing looks solid for stretches, but I think it's still our biggest issue on offense.

What you said definitely applies to TC in transition, though. :werd:

I consider myself BzWait and some on here would probably consider me BzIn, but I think [Redacted]'s post-game comments were too negative. I think one of his weaknesses is an inability to show optimism in the face of defeat (at least publicly).

Obviously something is getting these kids motivated to play harder than they would have last year, but I think coaches need to be more complimentary of their players in post-game interviews.

If Bzzz goes on to be a success, it certainly won't be from his abilities as a verbal motivator, I feel sure of that.

A more apt opinion from my perspective is: we would have won the game if during our second half comeback run the refs hadn't bent us over and treated us like a 19 year old sorority girl.

QFT. A miserable job of officiating regardless of the comments by ref apologist known as The Reff.

Bz trying really hard not to call out the officials on his radio show right now...

QFT. A miserable job of officiating regardless of the comments by ref apologist known as The Reff.

Wait did he defend them? I don't claim to have reffed as long as he has, but I ref intramural A league basketball which I would say is a higher level than 7th grade girls and have watched bball my whole life. That was a fucking abomination. You can't call hand checks 10 feet beyond the arc and then not call hacks on guys going down the lane. You also can't let a game get physical as hell for the first half and then crack down all of a sudden in the second half on one end of the floor. State got shafted last night by the refs too, didn't matter, but that was almost as bad as ours.

Back