• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Men's Soccer Spring 2011

we gave one back with 5 mins left now 2-1:( from a pk on the deacs..

I went. I'll give some thoughts later tonight.

Defense was solid. Midfield was alright. Attack was slow.

High Point was horrible.

I went. I'll give some thoughts later tonight.

Defense was solid. Midfield was alright. Attack was slow.

High Point was horrible.

Ohnoooooooo!! so apart from winning it sounds like not all is well in Deacville:( and we have alot more work to do to be contenders in the ACC let alone on the National Scene...

It's in the books..3-1!! Deacs can score goals this year:D

Hate being a downer but we're still lacking an amount of creativity. I think we'll be better than last season.

The first goal was the result of Luca finding Watts open outside the box and Jared blasted a shot off the crossbar (keeper misjudged it) and the rebound went right to Lubahn's head.

Second goal was the best worked of the three, IMO. DV7 will describe it in another post.

Last goal was a result of their LB whiffing on a ball and then Andy Lubahn dribbled across about halfway through the box, then found Luca, who had a nice long time to pick and hit his shot.

HPU played dirty. A team of Nigel De Jong wannabes in pink cleats.

Hate being a downer but we're still lacking an amount of creativity. I think we'll be better than last season.

The first goal was the result of Luca finding Watts open outside the box and Jared blasted a shot off the crossbar (keeper misjudged it) and the rebound went right to Lubahn's head.

Second goal was the best worked of the three, IMO. DV7 will describe it in another post.

Last goal was a result of their LB whiffing on a ball and then Andy Lubahn dribbled across about halfway through the box, then found Luca, who had a nice long time to pick and hit his shot.

HPU played dirty. A team of Nigel De Jong wannabes in pink cleats.

Well I was hoping for a better report:( but perhaps we had an off night and we still pulled out a win:thumbsup: Hope springs eternal!!

Here's the official game report:

Wake Forest Men’s Soccer Takes Down High Point 3-1

Lubahn, Mullin and Gimenez scored for the Demon Deacons

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Wake Forest men’s soccer team won its second-straight spring match, defeating High Point 3-1 on Friday evening at Spry Stadium.

The Deacs took a 1-0 first half lead that held up until the last ten minutes of the game before a flurry of goals left the final score 3-1 in Wake’s favor.

Jared Watts sparked Wake’s first goal in the 35th minute, cracking a long shot off the cross bar that fell right to Andy Lubahn on the goal line who headed it into the net to put the Deacs up 1-0.

The Demon Deacons’ next goal would not come until the 81st minute. Luca Gimenez cranked a shot from the left of the box that forced the Panthers’ keeper to make a diving save, but the rebound bounced to freshman Teddy Mullin who slotted it into the vacant net to extend the Wake advantage to 2-0.

High Point pulled a goal back in the 85th minute, when Fejiro Okiomah made a long run into the box and was tripped up by goalkeeper Michael Lisch, drawing a penalty kick. Shawn Sloan stepped up to the mark and drove the ball low into the left side of the net to make the score 2-1 in favor of the Deacs.

Wake’s finished the scoring in the 90th minute when a pass from Lubahn found Gimenez wide open in the left of the box and the Brazilian blasted a shot past the keeper to leave the final scoreline 3-1.

The Demon Deacons will next take the field on April 1 with a match against Duke at 8 p.m. at Spry Stadium.

Well I was hoping for a better report:( but perhaps we had an off night and we still pulled out a win:thumbsup: Hope springs eternal!!

I mean, I don't think we were bad or are going to be bad. Just missing a little something going forward. It's also VERY early in the 2011 season right now.

I mean, I don't think we were bad or are going to be bad. Just missing a little something going forward. It's also VERY early in the 2011 season right now.

are we able to connect more then 3 passes? we had trouble with that last year:tard:

are we able to connect more then 3 passes? we had trouble with that last year:tard:

We were a little disjointed. Did not really get anything going through the middle at all. Luca's control on the ball was really good and he was able to frequently dribble by whoever was defending him, but usually in a wide position.

Their RB (who Luca just abused, especially in the 2nd half) was a HORRID defender. He constantly squared his feet straight up on Luca, meaning Luca could choose to go either direction as the defender was taking nothing away, it was awful defending. Just awful.

Match Report - High Point exhibition 3-25-11

Mental notes from tonight, in no particular order

1) Defensive shape was good no matter who was back there. Most impressed with Arena (either at LB or CB) and Wenzel, both such smart defenders, always in the right position -- but hard to fully gauge, as HPs touches, especially their forwards and wide players, were awful. It was like throwing a ping pong ball off an anvil. I hope they aren't on scholarship. Pathetic. Especially #9. But the back 4 always did a good job communicating and staying in proper shape.
2) Jared Watts is an animal. I freaking love that kid. Non-stop motor. His shot that cannoned off the crossbar and led to our first was a rocket. Helped a bit by the keeper seeming to see it late, but it was hit with such pace that it was always going to cause the GK problems. Also, good to see him so aggressive in the air. He hates losing 50-50s and it shows.
3) Not sure who the new #10 was, but I wasn't overly impressed with him in the "10" role. He works hard and has a good touch, but he never seemed interested to go for a killer ball, instead always played the safe or backwards pass. I don't like that from a person in a role that asks for creativity in a 4-2-3-1 (the middle of the 3.)
4) I really like Duvall, but I don't get playing him at RB. In Jay I Trust, though.
5) Luch was working hard, which I personally loved to see. Put in a few good tackles and timed them well for the most part. Didn't make the driving runs that I know he can contribute, so didn't like that, but I have no doubt that part of his game is still there.
6) Lubahn is so good. What a disgustingly smart striker at this level. He times his runs so well. Give him a midfielder that can spot those runs before he makes them and he would be bagging them in for fun. Sadly, I didn't see that midfielder today, but it's still only the spring!
7) Luca was good today, as I touched on briefly earlier. He is still slow, maybe a half a yard faster...but still slow. I would like to see him in the "10" role, but JV obviously does not agree that he would serve us well there at this time.
8) The keeper (don't remember his name) made a really stupid lunge on their penalty. The HP player kicked the ball way ahead of himself and towards the corner flag. No need to go to ground there when the guy isn't heading towards his goal. Bad mistake, but he is learning after sitting behind Akira, so mistakes are to be expected I would say.
9) We aren't bad, but we aren't "Wake good" again yet, either. We will be better than this past season though. Some promising pieces are there, they just need to be put together to make a full product. Jay Vidovich is our coach, so...yeah, I have little worries considering this is March.
10) It was great seeing some Deacon footy again! I love Spry.

1) Defensive shape was good no matter who was back there. Most impressed with Arena (either at LB or CB) and Wenzel, both such smart defenders, always in the right position -- but hard to fully gauge, as HPs touches, especially their forwards and wide players, were awful. It was like throwing a ping pong ball off an anvil. I hope they aren't on scholarship. Pathetic. Especially #9. But the back 4 always did a good job communicating and staying in proper shape.
2) Jared Watts is an animal. I freaking love that kid. Non-stop motor. His shot that cannoned off the crossbar and led to our first was a rocket. Helped a bit by the keeper seeming to see it late, but it was hit with such pace that it was always going to cause the GK problems. Also, good to see him so aggressive in the air. He hates losing 50-50s and it shows.
3) Not sure who the new #10 was, but I wasn't overly impressed with him in the "10" role. He works hard and has a good touch, but he never seemed interested to go for a killer ball, instead always played the safe or backwards pass. I don't like that from a person in a role that asks for creativity in a 4-2-3-1 (the middle of the 3.)
4) I really like Duvall, but I don't get playing him at RB. In Jay I Trust, though.
5) Luch was working hard, which I personally loved to see. Put in a few good tackles and timed them well for the most part. Didn't make the driving runs that I know he can contribute, so didn't like that, but I have no doubt that part of his game is still there.
6) Lubahn is so good. What a disgustingly smart striker at this level. He times his runs so well. Give him a midfielder that can spot those runs before he makes them and he would be bagging them in for fun. Sadly, I didn't see that midfielder today, but it's still only the spring!
7) Luca was good today, as I touched on briefly earlier. He is still slow, maybe a half a yard faster...but still slow. I would like to see him in the "10" role, but JV obviously does not agree that he would serve us well there at this time.
8) The keeper (don't remember his name) made a really stupid lunge on their penalty. The HP player kicked the ball way ahead of himself and towards the corner flag. No need to go to ground there when the guy isn't heading towards his goal. Bad mistake, but he is learning after sitting behind Akira, so mistakes are to be expected I would say.
9) We aren't bad, but we aren't "Wake good" again yet, either. We will be better than this past season though. Some promising pieces are there, they just need to be put together to make a full product. Jay Vidovich is our coach, so...yeah, I have little worries considering this is March.

North Meck REPRESENT! :D

Watts' elbows are as sharp as ever. He got one good lick in on a HPU player tonight. Ref didn't see it. Wake's Fellaini.

IMO...Jv is struggling with his outside backs and cbacks...Luke Norman is NOT an outside back...we found that out last year. so who plays there? Plus we need another Cback to pair with Wenzel....Arena is a natural cback but we don' have a left back so he move's out there because of his versatility. Duval moves back since he can defend better then Norman (but he is a much better attacking mid then Norman also)(JV is trying to fit the pieces to work with what he's got...IMO)...Tolani moves central where JV thinks his athleticism fits best.
Hopefully the creativity comes from these kids and they can mature in JV's system...I've heard good things about #10, Teddy Mullin...JV doesn't hand out that number to anyone;)...so he has to have alot of belief in the kid.
How's Luca's pace...has he picked it up? perhaps the same problem with Luciano:( they need that burst of speed in the first 3-5 meters..hard to pick that up at this age.
Litsch was the keeper who gave up the PK...he had problems last game...he was the natural #1 to inherit the job from Fitzie but he might not be ready...Perhaps Doug "Too Tall" Ryan (who has always come thru whenever called on) is the man to step up...seems like he did a good job vs. Winston...not sure if he played tonight.
Did Newnam play...how's he look.

ok that's enough questions for now...hopefully you all can provide answers...

cheers,

thebaron

Newnam played but wasn't really influential. Luca isn't what I would call explosive, but he was able to change his speed enough (as much by stopping as by starting) to throw off the terrible HPU RB on a number of occasions.

IMO...Jv is struggling with his outside backs and cbacks...Luke Norman is NOT an outside back...we found that out last year. so who plays there? Plus we need another Cback to pair with Wenzel....Arena is a natural cback but we don' have a left back so he move's out there because of his versatility. Duval moves back since he can defend better then Norman (but he is a much better attacking mid then Norman also)(JV is trying to fit the pieces to work with what he's got...IMO)...Tolani moves central where JV thinks his athleticism fits best.
Hopefully the creativity comes from these kids and they can mature in JV's system...I've heard good things about #10, Teddy Mullin...JV doesn't hand out that number to anyone;)...so he has to have alot of belief in the kid.
How's Luca's pace...has he picked it up? perhaps the same problem with Luciano:( they need that burst of speed in the first 3-5 meters..hard to pick that up at this age.
Litsch was the keeper who gave up the PK...he had problems last game...he was the natural #1 to inherit the job from Fitzie but he might not be ready...Perhaps Doug "Too Tall" Ryan (who has always come thru whenever called on) is the man to step up...seems like he did a good job vs. Winston...not sure if he played tonight.
Did Newnam play...how's he look.

ok that's enough questions for now...hopefully you all can provide answers...

cheers,

thebaron

I've never been a fan of Luke Norman. So...yeah.

I get that Duvall can defend, but he is so deadly as a wing in a 4-2-3-1 seeing as how he can beat his man to the endline. So I don't get playing him out of position. But Jay wants to, and he is the coach.

Mullin just played it safe. You can see the talent there, but if you are in that role in that formation you have to be willing to take a chance on some passes. They won't all come off, but the threat needs to be there to open up a defense. At least a better defense....

Luca isn't AS slow, but he is still slow. His marker tonight was just pure garbage. Just miserable defending.

Luch used to do an explosive move first touch. I haven't seen that from him since the early part of last season.

Was always more impressed with Ryan (the freakishly tall one) than Litsch (if that is who played tonight) when I've done team camps at Wake. Litsch played both halves with a mask on his face. Tuffalo tells me it is because he broke his nose.

Don't remember seeing Newnam, so I don't think he did, because I was looking for him. Sam didn't play either and Tuffalo and I were talking about that. Not sure if I missed some news on Sam leaving... or is he injured? (From my memory Newnam was #8, so that is what I was looking for. I also am pretty sure I would recognize him if I saw him. Dude terrorized me for two games!)

Back