• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake named most beautiful campus in NC by Travel and Leisure

wake's campus is very pretty but brick always screams "cheap" to me

as an architectural decision, i don't like red brick. the buildings on campus are fine but uninteresting.

I wouldn't go so far as the first post, but I can see where ITC is coming from with the second post. Thinking only about building architecture, I dont think MSD is exceptional. Not as unique or interesting as the columns at UVA, the gothic at Duke, Chicago or whoever else has gothic, etc. But there's a lot more to nice campus than just material of the buildings. The symmetry of the quads. The layout with academic and residential clusters. The uniformity of the look across campus. The walk to Reynolda gardens. Coming into campus going over the hill by the old admissions building and then coming down the hill with Davis field in front of you. etc etc All of those things contribute to making a great campus.

UW and Boulder were two of the most beautiful areas and campuses I've seen. Cool to see they made the list.

Wasn't Elon voted most beautiful campus in the US a few years ago?

I wouldn't go so far as the first post, but I can see where ITC is coming from with the second post. Thinking only about building architecture, I dont think MSD is exceptional. Not as unique or interesting as the columns at UVA, the gothic at Duke, Chicago or whoever else has gothic, etc.

It's the most authentic, though. Neoclassical and Gothic architecture constructed in the early 19th century is kinda washed. Georgian is timeless AF.

It's the most authentic, though. Neoclassical and Gothic architecture constructed in the early 19th century is kinda washed. Georgian is timeless AF.

wat.

20th cent. georgian designs are just as phony as any other revitalized style. And i'm there's nothing necessarily 'authentic' about brick vs other building materials

wat.

20th cent. georgian designs are just as phony as any other revitalized style. And i'm there's nothing necessarily 'authentic' about brick vs other building materials

nah fam it wasn't a revival, it looks like the houses built from the 19th century on in a lot of the south and mid-atlantic, it never went out

there's a reason they aren't still building neoclassical and gothic buildings, because they were reflective of their time

georgian is timeless

so you flip your shit because I said brick looks lame and it turns out you just like Georgian architecture? you're whiny AF

yeah, said the campus is pretty; the campus design is more than just buildings. in fact the article goes out of its way to point out the fucking landscaping

the buildings themselves, other than wait chapel and reynolds, and scales, are unremarkable

i'm glad travel & leisure (weird articlefor them but ok) gave WFU the exposure. i'm just not sitting around telling my friends and family about how awesome Tribble Hall is

one great thing about cheap brick is that everything built since 2007 is LEED certified, including 4 gold and 4 silver certifications

i think it allows us to be modern and flexible with design in some ways and timeless in others

think they did a great job with farrell hall, for example

FarrellHall_terrace1.jpg

if you've got a campus with all gothic or neoclassical looks, you struggle to update buildings, retrofit with energy efficient materials, etc.

one great thing about cheap brick is that everything built since 2007 is LEED certified, including 4 gold and 4 silver certifications

i think it allows us to be modern and flexible with design in some ways and timeless in others

think they did a great job with farrell hall, for example

FarrellHall_terrace1.jpg

if you've got a campus with all gothic or neoclassical looks, you struggle to update buildings, retrofit with energy efficient materials, etc.

THat is a good look.

Back