• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/Pitt

That's an incredibly hot take. He obviously went after it, and since it was literally off Pitt he probably made the correct decision. Refs fucked up big-time.

John Collins wants the ball in his hands. Simple as that. Key and Crawford too. Any of them would cherish shooting with the game on the line.

I mean, Collins missed 3 consecutive free throws with the game in the balance. Crawford didn't score in the final 4 minutes.

Childress hit the game tying free throw, then hit the 2 game-clinching free throws around a timeout.

If there's a weakness in JC's game it's crunch time. He got pushed around in the Duke finish, has missed some critical short shots in other end-game situations, and if he doesn't hesitate in no-man's land and helps against Kennard we likely win the Duke game. Crawford goes hero-ball too often and Woods has struggled down the stretch a number of times since his Clemson meltdown rattled him.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of all three of them, but the biggest difference between Wake and the next-level ACC teams this year is having someone to step up in crunch time. We don't have a Perrantes/Berry/Bacon/Mitchell/White/Kennard who we can depend on yet. We needed Arians and Childress to save us against Pitt with 16 points...

I still can't figure last night's game out. I mean it was an historic comeback, but it's almost like I came away disappointed it took us until 1:36 left in the game to finally take a lead because Pitt was so bad in the 2nd half. I guess it just didn't look we were playing that good even while we were making the comeback. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled we came back and won it. It just left me with a puzzled feeling, instead of the euphoria you'd normally associate with a 19 point comeback win. Again, I'm not bitching or complaining, it was just a weird game I thought. It was a W though and I'm happy with them any way they come.

It was unsettling because we obviously needed to be at our best with our postseason lives on the line. We were far from it and got lucky (for once).

As others have said, come out like that against the Ville and we lose by 50.

The week off makes me very, very nervous. I know it's good for resting and game planning, but I'm afraid we'll come out flat. Then again, we beat Miami coming off the long break in January.

All I was saying is that BC missed two freethrows last night at a crucial time. I love BC and he is one of the reasons we have almost doubled our wins this year. But FT shooting was way off last night. I was really surprised that BC missed those two.

That's an incredibly hot take. He obviously went after it, and since it was literally off Pitt he probably made the correct decision. Refs fucked up big-time.

John Collins wants the ball in his hands. Simple as that. Key and Crawford too. Any of them would cherish shooting with the game on the line.

I mean if you can grab the ball and secure it then you do it. You don't wait for the refs to hopefully make the right call. That's how you lose close games and it's deemed "unlucky". Maybe he wasn't as close as I thought he was to getting it, but he made a conscious effort to pull his hands back at the last second on, what was at best, a 50/50 call.

I mean if you can grab the ball and secure it then you do it. You don't wait for the refs to hopefully make the right call. That's how you lose close games and it's deemed "unlucky". Maybe he wasn't as close as I thought he was to getting it, but he made a conscious effort to pull his hands back at the last second on, what was at best, a 50/50 call.

I can't believe they missed such an obvious call. But as the inspirational philosopher Yogi Ben Sheed says, "Ball don't lie."

I mean, Collins missed 3 consecutive free throws with the game in the balance. Crawford didn't score in the final 4 minutes.

Childress hit the game tying free throw, then hit the 2 game-clinching free throws around a timeout.

If there's a weakness in JC's game it's crunch time. He got pushed around in the Duke finish, has missed some critical short shots in other end-game situations, and if he doesn't hesitate in no-man's land and helps against Kennard we likely win the Duke game. Crawford goes hero-ball too often and Woods has struggled down the stretch a number of times since his Clemson meltdown rattled him.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of all three of them, but the biggest difference between Wake and the next-level ACC teams this year is having someone to step up in crunch time. We don't have a Perrantes/Berry/Bacon/Mitchell/White/Kennard who we can depend on yet. We needed Arians and Childress to save us against Pitt with 16 points...

Who was it that had the offensive rebound tip-in to give us the lead? After Childress tied the game and before he made two free throws?

All I was saying is that BC missed two freethrows last night at a crucial time. I love BC and he is one of the reasons we have almost doubled our wins this year. But FT shooting was way off last night. I was really surprised that BC missed those two.

Bilas is always talking about keeping your eye on the rim till the ball is in the basket. I think BC fails to do that especially on lay-ups, perhaps on his jumper and free throws also. The follow-through is so important.

Just a thought.

As an old, I need people to say at least Chill/Craw. BC ain't working anymore now that we have two BC PGs. My mind cain't take it.

In my view Collins realized he had zero chance of securing the ball in bounds, you don't want to heave it back inbounds on Pitt's side of the court, and that is why he pulled his hands back.

Our three point shooting has been abysmal of late. Time to get back in the groove against Loooouhvulle.

You can't be serious. At this point Bryant is, at worst, the third best PG in the ACC. I thnik argument could be made that only Dennis Smith is better considering Bryant's supporting cast.
BC = Brandon Childress....in my post.

In my view Collins realized he had zero chance of securing the ball in bounds, you don't want to heave it back inbounds on Pitt's side of the court, and that is why he pulled his hands back.

Gotcha, and I could've just missed that.

Should've grabbed it and heaved it as high as he could. Joking but that would've killed a few seconds

The biggest crunch time weakness is our inability to get him the ball in key late game possessions. That and not playing defense.

Loved what Skip Brown said about Manning..."He's building a cathedral."

To say that Collins needs to work on his crunch time is pretty off base for me. He battled his ass off and converted for us time after time last night. He missed a couple free throws yes, but he gets a pass given how solid he has been all season basically and I haven't noticed crunch time affecting him at the line. As a big (and getting as much attention as he does), I'd say he's been pretty clutch and our most clutch player for sure.

Crawford I tend to agree with you. At times he's been unbelievable and at times the moment has felt too big for him somehow which is really odd.

Woods seems to be in a major funk at the worst possible time.

And if Chill and Arians come up big for us then I say we keep them on the floor at crunch time and let them do their thing. Which Manning is already doing. No shame in "needing THOSE guys to save us".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way I believe Collins is tired. He was totally gassed down the stretch at Duke. Pitt was running guys at him and leaning on him all night, which is absolutely what I would do. He sat due to fouls but I believe the cumulative impact of 20/10 for 11 straight games is wearing him down. This is probably a big contributor to the 3 missed FT's down the stretch (although as stated he did still outwork seemingly all of Pitt for the game winner).

The break comes at a good time for him.

RE the wing situation, I think Manning did all he could to try to address it. If Matt Williams didn't get convinced to stay at UCF, he would have been a serviceable player at worst at the 2/3. Dick Wash wasn't ready to contribute this year, which is disappointing but we don't know yet what his potential is.

We also have a top-30ish guy coming next year who will have the chance to be the man there from day 1. I'm not sure what else DM could do given the situation, unless you think he just had a crap '16 class. TBD on that for now, for me.

I look at FSU as the ideal type of team DM would want to build over time. A couple legit big men with athletic, versitle players and lots of depth. Just watching his style, I think that is what he would prefer to do, play 10 guys with many differnet lineups and just wear you out. He doesn't seem like a 7-8 man rotation guy.

Obviously, we don't have the personnel to do that right now, but we take a step closer to that next year. Craw, Chaundee, Melo, Dick Wash, Mitchell, SJM, Doral can be our version of that (I'm not saying they are the same talent level). We'll have a lot more depth, at the least.

Back