• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake rejects CBI bid

Last ditch effort to justify keeping [Redacted] if we win the tournament?

Winning that tournament would not convince anyone of anything. If he wants to keep Bz despite massive fan backlash then just announce he's coming back next year.

I honestly cannot fathom why he would do it... But he would be the one giving the final approval (after firmly rejecting it when Dino was here).

Transparent attempt to sell "Buzz took us to the postseason" as an impressive mark of success to some clueless blue hairs who don't know what the CBI really is or remember the past rejection.

Winning that tournament would not convince anyone of anything. If he wants to keep Bz despite massive fan backlash then just announce he's coming back next year.

Winning the tournament might not convince anyone of anything. But neither did his veiled excuses as to why he hired Bz in the first place.

Remember, Wellman thinks we are all idiots/plebes. I am thinking in his terms of rationalization, not my own

#bzzout

If they play in the CBI, I bet it's about trying to keep the players from transfering more than anything. These kids have had two miserable years with so much loosing and maybe the ad thinks that if they win this, more of them will stick around after BZ is let go. I bet they are worried that DTom or CMM will bail this year because the've had nothing positive in thier time here and the ad sees that winning a few games or maybe the whole thing, will be a positive thing for the players to latch onto. Personally, if 3 or 4 of them left, I'd be ok with that.

If Wake Forest decided to play in the CBI, it would be quite possibly the dumbest thing that the AD has done thus far, and that includes the decision to retain [Redacted] four long years.

Worst case scenario, Wake would still be playing until April 4th. Playing until then would essentially mean not doing anything publicly for three weeks while a bunch of other schools are hiring their new coach. Wake may be the best job open this off season but coaches are not going to sit around that long since other schools will want a resolution to their coaching searches well before then.

It is possible that Wellman could work behind the scenes and/or [Redacted] could announce his "resignation" effective whenever the tournament ends, but a coaching search is seemingly most efficient when the position is truly open and the school is not forced to speak in hypotheticals ("when the position opens" etc).

Unless [Redacted] is fired and the position is open during the tournament, this has the possibility to impair WF's ability to run a proper and effective coach search with the maximum number of available candidates. Even if playing in the CBI turns out to only be a minor impairment to the coaching search, I don't see any tangible benefits that would make playing in the tournament a net gain for Wake.

Also, playing in the CBI just seems dirty for any high-major conference team. It is like picking someone up during last call at a bar - sure you might get a little fun in the short term but the regret quickly seeps in thereafter and you question why you did it in the first place.

As long as they go ahead and can [Redacted] now, I don't care what they do.

Buzz just got beat by 30. Why would anyone, in their right mind, want to extend this shit show another game in front of no one, and pay for it?

Pretty much what island said above. So many reasons not to do this it is mind boggling.

I'm totally fine with this as long as Buzz is fired first. The players definitely deserve something positive for putting up with Buzz for this long

Buzz just got beat by 30. Why would anyone, in their right mind, want to extend this shit show another game in front of no one, and pay for it?

Haven't the past 4 years taught us that Wellman isn't in his right mind? His ego is SO big that he STILL cannot admit the hiring of Jeff [Redacted] was an absolute horrendous mistake in the first place. If WFU is in the CBI then you can forget about a coaching search as it's a way to pad the numbers, possibly getting him to 17-18 wins on the season and a way to 'show' improvement. If this happens [Redacted] is back another year, plain and simple.

Suppose they fire Buzz and bring in Howland to coach the CBI. Would you watch then?

I'd watch, but why would you want to start any new coach out by humiliating him in front of his peers? There is no upside in this.

I'm totally fine with this as long as Buzz is fired first. The players definitely deserve something positive for putting up with Buzz for this long

Agreed. As shifty as it is, Travis will have the opportunity to play in a" Post Season" tournament. If Buzz is fired before the game, it'd be a nice thank you if a bunch of us showed up to support the guys.

It won't happen, but could you imagine the message it would send if he was fired, and the next game the Joel was packed?

I hear it is because Gregg Marshall wants to win the NCAA tourney and the CBI simultaneously. He will also be coaching Vermont in the NIT.

What network would have the broadcast rights to these games and how might it affect our ESPN contract? Maybe that's why we are doing it?
Last year, the majority of the games - including the semifinals and "championship series" (lol) - were broadcast on AXS. That's the network our Battle 4 Atlantis games were on earlier this year. It also means nobody will be watching us play on TV unless they're actively looking for the game because on my cable AXS is nowhere near the sports channels.

agree that the cbi would be rock bottom.

remember dino was fired april 7. ron is in no hurry to make an announcement. if baby is correct (and i believe he is) the details have been worked out and wellman is working toward hiring the next coach. he is telling them bzz is retiring but he wants to announce retire/hire close together.

ronnie is announcing bz steps down and thanking him for his hard work destr... fixing the culture come in a few weeks. at the same time or shortly after the new coach is announced.

cbi 1 - gives wellman the chance to say "see the progress is there from bzz and we just wanted more games to improve for next year" and 2 - see bzz changed everything like i knew he would and we won 20 games this year. looks better on paper and sounds better (until you smell the smoke. of course the blue hairs love to look in mirrors). i can only imagine what this board would be like if they lost to hampton at home in front of 17 people.

also that stupid selfie tells me ron wellman is trying really hard to fit in with the other ADs. he so badly wants to belong. unfortunately for him he looks like liza minelli at the oscars trying desperately to show she is "a" list.

Back