• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Track + Football

I live in a glass house and cant throw stones at the kid.

he probably hasnt trained much in 2 years, put on a bunch of weight for football, and might be running his first ever indoor race (hes from florida and is 6'2" which makes it tougher)

I opened my disgraceful college career with a dreadful 4:49 indoor mile that was an embarrassment to the wake jersey. girls beat that every year.

but probably not as many girls that run faster than 1715 in the 5k

I have been arguing with lectro about track stuff for years.

There are plenty of people who know more about this stuff than I do (ziggy, deacENDS, maybe even Latt M.), but certainly not lectro.

I'm not arguing. I made a mistake.

Sanderson is a fairly sizable HS with lots of fine athletes over the years. I attended Broughton and they were our main rivalry. We even had to use their stadium for a time. The Cap Conf. has produced a number of athletes from Greg Ellis to Danny Peebles to Kevin Donnelly et.,al.

Matt's feats are impressive and that long jump number happens to be the same or very close to what Kevin Marion posted to win the Florida State Championships.

East Forsyth's Sidney White has signed with Wake. She holds the NC high school girl's pole vault mark at 12'8" and cleared 13'1" in Lille, France at the World Youth Games, good for 8th place. She currently has the 3rd best vault nationally this school year at 12'7".
Not football related or track exactly, but not many threads deal with vaulting.

Matt James is filthy at basketball too, he's just a freak athlete in general. He's got absurdly long legs.

I'm not arguing. I made a mistake.

I was actually referring to those arguments we used to have on the old, old boards about translating track speed to field speed. But you portrayed an entirely different persona back then.

That's outdoor not indoor, tho.

Indoor meet was at the Armory in NYC last year. His time would have got him a 3rd or 4th place finish in the girls 400m race.

The problem with indoor nationals is that there are two national championships. National Scholastic is usually at the Armory (or Reggie) and Nike Indoors was always in Landover when I was in school. The more competitive meet varies year by year.

He probably hasnt trained much in 2 years, put on a bunch of weight for football, and might be running his first ever indoor race (hes from florida and is 6'2" which makes it tougher)

Good point. Des is probably the nicest guy on the team, as well.

As for glass houses, I was a member of the team of cripples that made [Redacted]'s current squad look like an honor to the university's basketball tradition at ACC cross.

Sanderson is a fairly sizable HS with lots of fine athletes over the years. I attended Broughton and they were our main rivalry.

Broughton has actually had one of the more consistently solid track programs in North Carolina over the last ten years.

I was actually referring to those arguments we used to have on the old, old boards about translating track speed to field speed. But you portrayed an entirely different persona back then.

No, that was "Lectro"... I don't understand the problem with this medium but I have said numerous times over the years that "Lectro is a creation to bring fire into the discussion of Wake Forest Football"...an entity which, at that time, could use any spark it could find to generate enthusiastic and often heated discussion. It worked and it was good.

Since those heady days the entire internet has been "face-bookized" -- it made me think of the famous quote from Thorstein Veblen who wrote "The Theory of the Leisure Class". Veblen stated that all social, political and religious enterprises in a culture "wear the livery of the pre-dominant economic model". In this environment there is no place for anonymity...people tweet one another after puffing a stogie and taking a dump. It is a medium which knows of no trivia too trivial to announce.

So, the acting "Dice-Clay-Don Rickles meets Gil Brandt" of WF Football is nearly dead...long live the King!

As for track speed and football speed the two do not always equate. A prospect like Percy Harvin or Stafon Diggs personify this phenomenon. On a track and running for a clock these two guys appear slower than a great many prospects. Put the two in pads on the medium of a football field and they are transformed into "electrifying".

***** As for guys who can actually run sprints and long distance we should note that new Florida CB recruit James Ward is a jack of all trades...he runs the 100,200,400,800 and has clocked a 4:27 mile. He runs a 4.48 40...he bench presses 315 pounds and he rebuilds hot-rods in his spare time. :) Not kidding...amazing young person.

Last edited:
I live in a glass house and cant throw stones at the kid.

he probably hasnt trained much in 2 years, put on a bunch of weight for football, and might be running his first ever indoor race (hes from florida and is 6'2" which makes it tougher)

I opened my disgraceful college career with a dreadful 4:49 indoor mile that was an embarrassment to the wake jersey. girls beat that every year.

but probably not as many girls that run faster than 1715 in the 5k

Michelle Sikes could run a 5k and still finish with enough time for des cooper to run an 800.

East Forsyth's Sidney White has signed with Wake. She holds the NC high school girl's pole vault mark at 12'8" and cleared 13'1" in Lille, France at the World Youth Games, good for 8th place. She currently has the 3rd best vault nationally this school year at 12'7".
Not football related or track exactly, but not many threads deal with vaulting.

Pole vault counts. Maybe I should have titled the thread Wake Track & Field + Football since we're also talking about field events (ie. jumping).
It's all good.
Btw, 13' in pole vault for a HS girl is amazing. Not surprised she finished 8th in the World Youth games. Actually, there's not that many HS guys that can jump 13'.

No, that was "Lectro"... I don't understand the problem with this medium but I have said numerous times over the years that "Lectro is a creation to bring fire into the discussion of Wake Forest Football"...an entity which, at that time, could use any spark it could find to generate enthusiastic and often heated discussion. It worked and it was good.

Since those heady days the entire internet has been "face-bookized" -- it made me think of the famous quote from Thorstein Veblen who wrote "The Theory of the Leisure Class". Veblen stated that all social, political and religious enterprises in a culture "wear the livery of the pre-dominant economic model". In this environment there is no place for anonymity...people tweet one another after puffing a stogie and taking a dump. It is a medium which knows of no trivia too trivial to announce.

So, the acting "Dice-Clay-Don Rickles meets Gil Brandt" of WF Football is nearly dead...long live the King!

As for track speed and football speed the two do not always equate. A prospect like Percy Harvin or Stafon Diggs personify this phenomenon. On a track and running for a clock these two guys appear slower than a great many prospects. Put the two in pads on the medium of a football field and they are transformed into "electrifying".

***** As for guys who can actually run sprints and long distance we should note that new Florida CB recruit James Ward is a jack of all trades...he runs the 100,200,400,800 and has clocked a 4:27 mile. He runs a 4.48 40...he bench presses 315 pounds and he rebuilds hot-rods in his spare time. :) Not kidding...amazing young person.

Amazing.
I'm looking forward to learning more about James. From what I've read so far, he seems like a 'Renaissance Athlete' and can do just about anything.

Paul Loeser and Tom Finneran ran the 5th and 6th fastest Wake Forest indoor 3ks all-time this past weekend. 8:20 and 8:21 respectively. Awesome stuff from those guys.

Check out Orville sporting the black and gold hair. Now there is a guy who loves his school and teams.

7455385.jpeg

Orville looks jacked for that small frame.

Please don't let them pull any hamstrings. Hipefully Josh Harris won't be running track this year. He needs to be a spring football in great shape. We need him badly this fall!

^true that

hunt is really showing hes a darn good coach.

I had always heard really great things about him from friends at virginia, and his recruiting was always considered top notch. I am very pleased to see him doing well at wake - especially with really good guys like Paul and Finneran.

Please don't let them pull any hamstrings. Hipefully Josh Harris won't be running track this year. He needs to be a spring football in great shape. We need him badly this fall!

I still find I so small world that I rode on a plane next to your wife.

Back