• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Track + Football

Not sure how many of you follow track, but we have some great new additions this year from the football team. While we usually do have a few guys running sprints, I wanted to give a shout out to these guys for some exceptional performances in their first meet. Love to see these guys burning up the track ............they're really fast and should be fun to watch next fall on the gridiron as they get more playing time.

Orville Reynolds, Sherman Ragland, Desmond Cooper, Brandon Terry

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-track/recaps/021112aaa.html

Orville Reynolds, Brandon Terry, and Sherman Ragland all have an outside shot at scoring at the ACC Indoor Meet in their respective events (60 meters, 200 meters, and 60 meter hurdles). I don't know whether those guys are making the trip to Boston this weekend or not.

John Millar and Scott Hall have both coached elite sprinters. John Millar was the speed development guy for all of Notre Dame sports and Scott Hall coached Michael Bingham, Kevin Marion, and Eric Seely to a 1,2,3 finish in the 200 meters for Wake at the 2006 Outdoor Track Championships (20.97,21.02, and 21.07).

I don't know what the rules are for spring football but these guys are getting good speed reps with the track team.

I had always heard really great things about him from friends at virginia, and his recruiting was always considered top notch. I am very pleased to see him doing well at wake - especially with really good guys like Paul and Finneran.

Hunt is doing a good job bringing these guys along. Most of the guys on the team are improving and we're starting to get some depth in the middle and long distance events which should bring even better performances. We should have some guys score (or come very close) at the conference meet.

Hunt is doing a good job bringing these guys along. Most of the guys on the team are improving and we're starting to get some depth in the middle and long distance events which should bring even better performances. We should have some guys score (or come very close) at the conference meet.

Definitely a step up from Annie Bennett and her convicted felon husband

Definitely a step up from Annie Bennett and her convicted felon husband

With 80-90 athletes on both teams, it definitely takes a very good coach/administrator to make things work for the track teams. Annie coached an ACC Champion Women's Cross Country Squad early in her career at Wake Forest and always seem to have a couple of individual women's athletes that performed well (Annie Bersagel, Michelle Sikes). She brought in Scott Hall, her husband's college coach, and he has had a number of athletes that have performed very well.

However, what happened under her watch with the men's middle and long distance runners was painful to witness. Our men's cross country team went from qualifying for NCAA's to only running 3 runners at regionals in the span of about 6 years.

The new coaches seem to be working hard to instill high expectations for both teams and I'm excited to see what the teams performances are in 2-3 years.

Our men's cross country team went from qualifying for NCAA's to only running 3 runners at regionals in the span of about 6 years.

And sadly, all three of the guys that competed at regionals that year ran injured.

Annie seemed to be very good at coaching a single, elite woman per year. (Bersagel, Sikes, Kieffer, Nosenko, for instance). As Ziggy implies, however, she was not a very good administrator and didn't know the first thing about coaching men - she often had trouble remembering the names of her athletes.

Tom Morrison just finished fifth in the Men's mile in 4:10.

[SIZE=-1]ACC[/SIZE] Record
[SIZE=-1]*[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]8:03.50[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Nolan Swanson[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]WFU[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]February 20 1999[/SIZE]

Boss. There is a slight chance this goes down today, unfortunately: NC State's Ryan Hill is on fire -- closed the DMR in 3:57 yesterday.

[SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Ryan Hill[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]NC State[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]8:00.70[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]* [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]10 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2 (1)[/SIZE]

Damn, I called it. RIP Swanson's record.

Top Deacon finisher was Loeser, in 8:20 - tying the mark he set last week that was 5th fastest in Wake history.

Pretty poor finish for the Deacs - Men finish in 11th, Women 12th.

Back