• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-UNC Game Thread - 8:00 pm

UNC is a matchup nightmare for Wake. One simple question: who will guard Justin Jackson? He is too tall and quick for Arians and too quick for Dinos. They are better than we are at virtually every position on the court and their interior players are not only skilled but experienced.

As I see it, our only hope is to get their starting big men into serious foul trouble early while staying out of foul trouble ourselves. Not likely. And even if we do that, they bring substantial talent in off the bench.

I have no idea how GT beat them. However, it is the ACC and we are at home (which hopefully means that more 100 students attend and stay for the whole game).

We need to be aggressive attaching the paint early on. Getting to the line early and often will be just as important as hitting 3s for us.

I expect we will play a decent amount of zone tonight

Abbreviated KP Report on UNC:

UNC is 14-3 and KP has them at #6. They are #10 on offense and #6 on defense.

They have top 100 wins against: Chattanooga (#60 by 40, yes 40), OK State (#31 by 28), Wisconsin (#11), Davidson (#72), Tennessee (#64 by 2), Monmouth (#94), Clemson (#23 in OT), State (#58 by 49, yes 49).

UNC's losses: Indiana (#29), Kentucky (#1) and GT (#143 by 12). UNC has played 4 true road games and are 2-2 (the wins are in OT over Clemson and over #278 Hawaii).

UNC plays the fastest tempo of any ACC team, and are #20 in the nation in tempo.

On offense, their strength is offensive rebounding -- #1 in the nation offensive rebounding; grabbing an incredible 43% of the missed shots on the offensive end. UNC doesn't shoot that well -- #101 in effective FG%. UNC does not shoot a ton of 3s as they only get 25% of their points from 3 point shots (#294).

On defense, their are pretty good at everything between #40 and #70 in FG% defense, TO% and preventing offensive boards, but elite in no category.

UNC has decent size: 6-0, 6-4, 6-8, 6-9, 6-10 with 6-8 and 6-11 coming off the bench. UNC is deep as 10 players get at least 24% of the overall minutes. Kennedy Meeks, Tony Bradley and Isiah Hicks just kill it on the offensive boards. PG Joel Berry is hitting 43% from 3.

WF seems to play best against up tempo teams, and UNC plays up tempo; so, the game should be high scoring with each team making big runs. To state the obvious, keeping UNC off the offensive boards is key and WF has not been great at that this year (#123). Would think that WF may want to go big against UNC to help on the offensive boards. The game sets up nicely for WF as UNC has not played well in any of its 3 road games against top 200 teams (losses to GT and Indiana; OT win against Clemson). Also, when teams have a game like UNC did in its 49 point win over State, they often "bounce" (i.e., play poorly next time out). Finally, UNC has a big game against FSU next on Saturday; so, there could be a little look ahead here.

Think WF will hang, but can't be confident about WF finishing a game until it does.

Last edited:
Wake +4.5 first half seems like a good bet.

Yep. In fact, it might be a good play to bet on Wake against the spread in the first half all year... At least if past experience is any indicator of future performance.

Collins has to stay on the court. I'm fine getting 5 fouls out of Moore and SJM against Bradley/Meeks if we can go Twin Towers when Collins/Dinos needs a break.

Attendees: 12,435....of which 7,100 will be wearing powder blue....187 Wake students on hand....band will be down 1 tuba and 1 trombone player....1 Wake dancer will get ill at halftime....Bilas kid will drain a 3....Roy will be two-tone tonight....Manning will call 2 time outs - max....Goats will have 8 dunks....Wake will go 7 minutes without a basket at some point....

that is all

Hate to say it, but I would be betting the Heels to cover.

I haven't been to a game in a while. I just hope I don't go to jail tonight.

The Joel is going to be filled with Walmart Kerliner fans and they are the absolute worst...

I wonder if they even realize that UNC is a school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attendees: 12,435....of which 7,100 will be wearing powder blue....187 Wake students on hand....band will be down 1 tuba and 1 trombone player....1 Wake dancer will get ill at halftime....Bilas kid will drain a 3....Roy will be two-tone tonight....Manning will call 2 time outs - max....Goats will have 8 dunks....Wake will go 7 minutes without a basket at some point....

that is all

And both coaches will go into their locker room at the end of the game with three time-outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abbreviated KP Report on UNC:

UNC is 14-3 and KP has them at #6. They are #10 on offense and #6 on defense.

They have top 100 wins against: Chattanooga (#60 by 40, yes 40), OK State (#31 by 28), Wisconsin (#11), Davidson (#72), Tennessee (#64 by 2), Monmouth (#94), Clemson (#23 in OT), State (#58 by 49, yes 49).

UNC's losses: Indiana (#29), Kentucky (#1) and GT (#143 by 12). UNC has played 4 true road games and are 2-2 (the wins are in OT over Clemson and over #278 Hawaii).

UNC plays the fastest tempo of any ACC team, and are #20 in the nation in tempo.

On offense, their strength is offensive rebounding -- #1 in the nation offensive rebounding; grabbing an incredible 43% of the missed shots on the offensive end. UNC doesn't shoot that well -- #101 in effective FG%. UNC does not shoot a ton of 3s as they only get 25% of their points from 3 point shots (#294).

On defense, their are pretty good at everything between #40 and #70 in FG% defense, TO% and preventing offensive boards, but elite in no category.

UNC has decent size: 6-0, 6-4, 6-8, 6-9, 6-10 with 6-8 and 6-11 coming off the bench. UNC is deep as 10 players get at least 24% of the overall minutes. Kennedy Meeks, Tony Bradley and Isiah Hicks just kill it on the offensive boards. PG Joel Berry is hitting 43% from 3.

WF seems to play best against up tempo teams, and UNC plays up tempo; so, the game should be high scoring with each team making big runs. To state the obvious, keeping UNC off the offensive boards is key and WF has not been great at that this year (#123). Would think that WF may want to go big against UNC to help on the offensive boards. The game sets up nicely for WF as UNC has not played well in any of its 3 road games against top 200 teams (losses to GT and Indiana; OT win against Clemson). Also, when teams have a game like UNC did in its 49 point win over State, they often "bounce" (i.e., play poorly next time out). Finally, UNC has a big game against FSU next on Saturday; so, there could be a little look ahead here.

Think WF will hang, but can't be confident about WF finishing a game until it does.

Great summary as always, thanks. The State game was actually by 51, yes 51. If UNC had failed to score for the entire second half, the game would have went to over time.

over/under on Childress-Mcinnis clip?

I had a dream last night that lil' Chill was in the game and playing the best game of his short career. He crossed up Joel Berry, did the motion and drained a 3 while Berry was on the ground. I woke up with wet sheets....

Go Deacs!

I had a dream last night that lil' Chill was in the game and playing the best game of his short career. He crossed up Joel Berry, did the motion and drained a 3 while Berry was on the ground. I woke up with wet sheets....

Go Deacs!

Hence the name Creamy Goodness.

Do we roll campus if we win, and if so, HOW MUCH TP DO I BRING>!!>>!>!

I like us to get another moral victory tonight. Carolina 82 Deacs 76.

Back