• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - UNC Greensboro Game Thread

tEsEbyq.png

I'm calling bullshit on bkf making 75% of his free throws in high school. I do think he is an insufferable gasbag 75% of the time however, and that is a conservative estimate.

bkf has alot of strange beliefs but he seems like an honorable guy. I don't think he would just make stuff up.

ETA: The de-emphasis of fundamentals is one of the biggest things wrong with basketball today. Having worthless shit-shows like slam dunk contests are a by-product of this. Too many people think basketball should be more like a circus today.

Other way around IMO. Glorification of the highlight reel leads to poor fundamentals.
You see the same thing in football. The glorification of the big hit had led to piss poor tackling form and poor tackling in general.

Nobody wants to watch fundamentals on TV. That's like watching people make scrambled eggs on Food Network all day.

Don't exactly understand the "other way around, IMO" part.....but I agree with everything else you said. ESPN's SportsCenter may be one of the worst things ever as far as encouraging the right way to play football & basketball. Too much showtime and not enough fundamentals.

We're saying the same thing basically. It seemed to me that you were saying a de-emphasis on fundamentals led to the Showtime culture, and I was saying the allure of Showtime led to the de-emphasis of fundamentals. Pretty much the same thing.
And man I am feeling old and white right now. Time to go eat my prunes and yell at the neighbor's kids to get off my lawn.

More of that "instant gratification" that permeates society today......

Poor fundamentals are ruining sports. A guy drops the ball showboating before he crosses the goal line and people just laugh about it.

Trent Strickland blows a routine layup that would have cut a Duke lead to 3 points by deciding to try a reverse dunk with nobody within 20 feet of him, etc.

A baseball hitter pops up on a 3-0 count with the bases loaded & no outs with his team trailing 5-0 in the 8th inning....

That kind of crap goes on all the time in sports today. If that's what you like, fine, that's your privilege....but I prefer to watch teams & players that use sound fundamentals.

You'd watch a channel that showed nothing but scrambled eggs?

How can anyone seriously blame the coaches for poor free throw shooting?

It's been an issue throughout the Buzz era. At some point the buck has to stop with the guy in charge.

I had not watched it, but I saw the headline on Yahoo news. After your post I looked it up and watched it. I'm assuming this is the one people are talking about?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ach-barry-hinson-goes-on-epic-rant-after-loss

If so, I honestly....honestly....don't see what the big deal is. I've seen Coach Knight 50 times more upset than this. The guy seemed fairly calm to me, for the most part. I certainly don't see anything "epic" about it.

I'm not sure comparing coach blowups to Knight as the "standard" is really worth doing.

You'd watch a channel that showed nothing but scrambled eggs?

I don't think that analogy actually works. Sports fundamentals aren't the product. They are the means by which the product is achieved. Scrambled eggs are the product.

A better analogy might be watching a cooking show where the chef doesn't know that you should defrost the frozen turkey before dropping it into the hot oil. Come to think of it, a cooking show like that could be kind of fun to watch, though.

The point is people watch TV almost exclusively to be entertained. So flipping out when TV shows emphasize entertaining things is stupid.

I submit that confidence plays a role in free throw % and it starts from the top-the head coach. It is clear that Bz has no clue how to coach these players to their potential. I think the players feel this doubt in Bz even though they would never say so. I could certainly be wrong, but, if I'm a good player in high school that makes 75% of my free throws and now I'm playing for a coach whose system I'm not confident in, does that cause my free throw %, FG%, defense, etc begin to suffer? If these guys were playing for Coach K would their FT% be higher? I say yes. Seems like Duke consistently makes their freebies year after year. Dookies are confident in their coach and his system. I think most of us agree that Bz is in over his head, projects no confidence whatsoever, and it shows in the performance on the court. We should be blowing teams like UNCG & St. Bonnie out on our court. He could win the NC this year and I would not have confidence that he could even have a .500 season the following year. He is an abysmal communicator and motivator. Just my .02 worth.

The stuff they show on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is the Food Network equivalent of a 360 jam.

Because coaches are the ones who decide what to practice and who to play. If you make your free throws, you play. If you don't, you don't. Same for rebounding.

The low FT % isn't from a lack of practice. Free throws are a mental aspect of the game. It took Ish Smith 3 1/2 years at Wake to figure out how to shoot them. I agree that it is up to the coaches to decide who to play and for the most part our sub patterns have been much improved from the previous few years. As far as rebounding goes, minus a lack of effort by a couple guys occasionally I don't see us losing many games in conference by poor rebounding. The team plays with a lot more hustle this year also. Just my opinion.

Back