• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - UNC Greensboro Game Thread

I agree that it is up to the coaches to decide who to play and for the most part our sub patterns have been much improved from the previous few years.

So you missed UNCG getting back into the game yesterday while Bz had a lineup in that was completely devoid of a scoring option.
ETA check post #77 of this thread.

Because there is no quantifiable connection between the two....and you are just grasping at straws to find somthing else to feed your hatred of [Redacted].

I never said I hated Bz. Did you see that anywhere? What I'm trying to say is that players who are not confident in the coach or system they are playing in will struggle with their performance. How much of FT shooting is mental? Isn't confidence a mental function?

LOL....but that show doesn't claim to be sports. (And speaking of food, I just back from driving to Greensboro and picking up a Honey Baked ham. That is some good eating!)

What about the three examples I gave for football, basketball & baseball? Are you OK with things like that?

I'm OK with sports, yeah. I like sports. Sometimes players make stupid decisions, but such is life.

So you missed UNCG getting back into the game yesterday while Bz had a lineup in that was completely devoid of a scoring option.
ETA check post #77 of this thread.

No, I watched the game. Don't let the score fool you, we were never in any kind of threat of losing that game. Also, I didn't say his sub patterns have been perfect this year, just that they have been better than the last couple of seasons. Overall record aside, there haven't been as many "head shakers" coming from the sideline this year like we have been accustomed to the past three seasons.

Yet everybody loves sports. That said, something may indeed be fundamentally flawed in this discussion.

The coach is ultimately responsible for team performance.

Rod was a monster. He showed up at a couple of basketball camps along with Skip Brown and others. It was awesome. His free throw style was unique as he would flip the ball out and it bounced back to him.

Having confidence in your coach has absolutely nothing to do with having confidence in yourself to make your free throws (and neither does having confidence in President Obama or belief in Jesus....both of which would make about the same amount of sense as having confidence in your coach regarding their effect on your own confidence in making free throws.)

Did you bother to watch this game?

The low FT % isn't from a lack of practice. Free throws are a mental aspect of the game. It took Ish Smith 3 1/2 years at Wake to figure out how to shoot them. I agree that it is up to the coaches to decide who to play and for the most part our sub patterns have been much improved from the previous few years. As far as rebounding goes, minus a lack of effort by a couple guys occasionally I don't see us losing many games in conference by poor rebounding. The team plays with a lot more hustle this year also. Just my opinion.

You need to look at Ish's Wake stats again. And throw in his NBA stats. It's one of the strangest stat stories at Wake next too the almost two game FT streak.

I have no idea why he was a poor FT shooter. He wasn't a great shooter in general. The real mystery is why he had one good FT shooting year when he played fewer minutes. Perhaps his poor FT shooting wasn't being reinforced by getting minutes regardless so he had to work harder. I don't know. Doesn't seem to fit the poor FT shooting by the bench.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with what we are talking about here. Maybe you could explain how watching one game...anywhere...could materially show that having or not having confidence in a coach (which is, inself, a subjective proposition that holds no quantifiable meaning) translates into having or not having confidence in a player making his free throws.

I find this entire idea that players miss free throws because they don't have confidence in their coach to be totally ludicruous.

But to answer your question, I watched about one-third of the game. There wasn't much there that was worth watching, as far as I could see. Just glad we won. Hope we play better at Xavier, and, more importantly, on January 5th against Carolina...becuase I truly feel that that is a winnable game.

So, you don't watch 2/3 of our games (if that) and feel compelled to lecture folks about how our team plays basketball. Good to know. Troll on, bkf...

Back