• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake v Dook Game Thread

MW is having serious issues with his shooting. I think he is 1 for his last 20 threes. If he can't shoot, he has no game. Needs to sit for sure. He and Crawford cost us this game.

You do realize the internet has places where you can find this information, right? He's 4 for his last 20 3-pointers over the last four games. He also had a four game stretch where he hit he 13-26. It's up to Manning to realize when he has it and when he doesn't. I hope Childress can be more consistent in his role next season.

You do realize the internet has places where you can find this information, right? He's 4 for his last 20 3-pointers over the last four games. He also had a four game stretch where he hit he 13-26. It's up to Manning to realize when he has it and when he doesn't. I hope Childress can be more consistent in his role next season.

You are expecting way more out of Childress than he is capable of providing next year.

Crawford had his worst game for sure, but I wondered whether that was partly the result of taking the ball out of his hands. It was great to see CMM get back to his old self but it had to be a big adjustment for Crawford. Also Duke seemed very aware of him and it didn't appear that he got any open looks.

Just stopping by to say that nothing says Dook in a tight one on the road like a touch, fourth foul 40 feet from the basket on an ACC senior at home. It's almost cliché.

Manning's stubborn refusal to play anything but man defense when we're clearly outmatched athletically is getting annoying.

our zone defense is worse than our man to man

Neither of the two Duke players fouled after after getting their 4th foul with about 12 to go. They didn't really play reduced minutes either.

Manning's stubborn refusal to play anything but man defense when we're clearly outmatched athletically is getting annoying.

I know Wake has never been able to play a zone very good, but last night would have been a night to at least try. How many times did Dook get to the rim and make the lay up or get fouled trying? I would have had our guys go into a Dean Smith UNC zone and make them chunk it from the cheap seats. They were hot from out there but still its a harder shot from 20' vs 1'.

Agree 100%. Either our coaches cannot teach man defense or our players are not sufficiently athletic or motivated to play it. With our length, we might be able to play a tough zone, especially a 1-3-1.

Whatever we do, this season is gone unless we improve defensively!

The coaches know how to coach man. We just don't have a lot of good defenders on the team. Dinos has negative lateral foot speed and looks like a giraffe out there trying to move as an on-ball defender. Multiple times guys seemed confused (or just failed to do what they were supposed to) on whether we were switching screens or not. There was one play where Dinos was guarding the ball handler, there was a handoff at the top of the key between two Duke players and Dinos chose to guard neither of the two guys - instead opting to drift into space where there was not a single Duke offensive player. Dinos is a decent interior defender but he's just comically bad overall on defense. Honestly one of the worst defenders I've ever seen at Wake. Just awful.

I can't imagine Harry Giles was watching that game last night and thinking: "Man, just look at how much more developed and well coached the Duke big men are than Devin Thomas and John Collins. I can't wait to see what coach K can do with me!" Pretty sure all of Plumlee's points came on dunks after drives and dishes or from the line. I'm hard pressed to remember a single post move from a Duke player. #HarryPlumlee

Last edited:

It really depends on how well Giles can throw an elbow.

The coaches know how to coach man. We just don't have a lot of good defenders on the team. Dinos has negative lateral foot speed and looks like a giraffe out there trying to move as an on-ball defender. Multiple times guys seemed confused (or just failed to do what they were supposed to) on whether we were switching screens or not. There was one play where Dinos was guarding the ball handler, there was a handoff at the top of the key between two Duke players and Dinos chose to guard neither of the two guys - instead opting to drift into space where there was not a single Duke offensive player. Dinos is a decent interior defender but he's just comically bad overall on defense. Honestly one of the worst defenders I've ever seen at Wake. Just awful.

Good coaching alleviates the confusion which you describe. The players are not sufficiently drilled to recognize and react to what the opposition is trying to accomplish offensively. Either that or they are not physically capable of making the necessary reactions. In which case we must devise a different defensive scheme or continue to fail.

Your point about Dinos playing better inside defense would argue for some sort of zone responsibility as opposed to guarding a man...which he apparently cannot do either inside or outside.

Crawford had his worst game for sure, but I wondered whether that was partly the result of taking the ball out of his hands. It was great to see CMM get back to his old self but it had to be a big adjustment for Crawford. Also Duke seemed very aware of him and it didn't appear that he got any open looks.

Salient point here, albeit will be controversial. Yes, we likely wouldn't have been in the game if not for Codi's contributions, especially in the first half. But this may be the first time a team game planned to take BC away (especially outside) and he didn't respond well. And he likes to have the ball in his hands, no doubt. And rightly so, as he is a great passer when he is under control.

But K was willing to pick his poison and take his chances letting Codi have his. Although I will say that 3 or 4 of Codi's layups were in the last 6 mins after Duke had pulled away and Allen let him go twice as not to pick up a 5th foul. Long story short, Danny needs to find a way for Codi to be dominant without dominating the ball too much. BC will need his touches too.

Back