• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake v. Georgia Southern Thread

I hope we can make the big dance before McKie graduates.

I don't think you know me personally, sir. Because if you did then you know this claim is hilariously not true.

Fair enough, no I don't know you. I frankly don't understand the vitrolic, over the top personal comments directed toward the coach. I can understand someone not liking the choice(I am a Buzz wait and see myself), but there were horrible things said about him from day one.

Frankly, I don't think John Wooden could have done anything with last year's team. Then two more left this year. I don't think many people realize just how bad things had gotten under Dino. There was no discipline and very dam little coaching.

I think a new coach deserves at least 3 years to make his mark(especially coming from where we were). We are still short on ACC talent(let's face it, Nikita would probably not see the floor on any other team in the league). To say there hasn't been improvement is naive. We are playing harder, playing together and there seems to be an improved attitude.

Let's see how this year plays out and when we add some talent next year, I think people wiill realize the program is going in the right direction. Sometimes a quick short-term fix is not the way to go. Laugh if you will, but there is absolutely no doubt the culture of the program needed to change. Ask those close to the team if you don't believe it.

Anyway, Just wanted to set the record straight. If I'm proved to be wrong I'll admit it. I still don't understand the necessity of people having to resort to name calling and foul language to get their point across. It really does nothing to strengthen one's position, frankly for those like me it tends to detract from the poster's credibility.

In over sixty years Wake has won about half a dozen ACC championships(reg or post season) out of 120+ opportunities, yet nothing less than that would be acceptable to DV7 and others.

What DV7 and others will hate is if we make The Dance next year, get Gill and another stud and are our way to the Sweet 16.

Their childish, irrational and classless hatred is so deep they would rather have us lose than us succeed if [Redacted] is coach.

They hate [Redacted] more than they love WF. They'd rather be right than wrong in this case.

It's pathetic.

No one with any common sense can make a legitimate determination of what Bzdleik has done. The titanic had a better first voyage than our coach did.

[Redacted] may suck or he may be good. It's too early to tell.

You are a good man rj and always loyal to me, but that last sentence is horse shit. You know basketball better than 99.9% of the peeps here. The jury is not out for you: you know whether buzz is a good coach or not.

No there aren't. You saying that over and over again does not make it true.

My feelings about [Redacted] haven't changed; I have just decided that I don't want to get in constant pissing matches with the likes of you. I am not impressed by his career record or his record at Wake and don't buy the culture/bridge coach stuff some of you do. Arguing about it isn't changing anyone's mind.

Do you think it helps Wake basketball for people like DV7 to go to the game to boo [Redacted] regardless of how the team plays?

You are a good man rj and always loyal to me, but that last sentence is horse shit. You know basketball better than 99.9% of the peeps here. The jury is not out for you: you know whether buzz is a good coach or not.

Ehh, I feel I can honestly say it's to early to tell. I always feel its premature to judge a guy until he gets his players in their. Some coaches obviously have higher ceilings than others but to judge how heigh that ceiling is (or low that floor is for that matter) just isn't fair until they get atleast 3 recruiting classes in.

The team looks better this season but is grossly outmatched for an ACC squad. The bigs WF is bringing in next season will do a ton to impact how much better the team is next season, even with them being freshmen.

Do you think it helps Wake basketball for people like DV7 to go to the game to boo [Redacted] regardless of how the team plays?

I don't buy that DV7 is booing anyone. If he is then he is welcome to defend himself, but I won't. Regardless, even if he is doing so it doesn't establish that he wants us to lose.

You have to understand, it's not about whether [Redacted] is K or Jack Ramsay or Wooden. It's whether he fits what we need to right our program.

You know that I told you we were in deep shit about three years ago. I told you Dino didn't have any real control of the program.

Last year and this we are seeing how true that was.

The top level young coaches would not take our job knowing they'd have two years of bad records. You don't take that chance.

We had to find someone who could take the heat that was inevitable.

[Redacted] is never going to be a HOF coach. But he could be a good fit for Wake.

Let's see what happens in 12/13, then we can make an educated evaluation.

What I saw tonight:

Chase: Lost his rhythm, but played a solid game. I feel comfortable with the ball in his hands. Obviously will be a go to guy with CJ down the stretch if we need to hit FTs in the next few years. Passing ability is better than I expected. Seems calm out there.

Anthony: Should play a lot of minutes. I was expecting him to be in a backup role, but he will certainly push TC. His shot isn't falling, but neither is Tony's. Pretty cool to have one bigger pg who can score with contact while having a road runner out there too.

TC: Good FT shooting. Needs to start connecting from deep. Definitely looks to be a leader out there.

CJ & Travis: same old.

Nikita: I wish this dude were better, but he's just not good. He plays so hard, but doesn't have the talent. Needs to use the ball fake and drive more than shoot from deep. He does have a nice first step and his length can get him to the basket pretty quickly. Good FT shooting.

Carson: Off game. Needs to be stronger getting boards.

Green: Looked lost and out of place.

Overall, this team just looks so much smoother without JT, Ari, and Ty. They seem to be way more focused even if they don't have the talent, strength, or size right now. We won't win a lot of games, but I like our future. I liked the ball movement and cuts. I ended up saying "great look" or "great pass" a lot more than I did in our early games last year and was surprised it came after passes from Chase, Anthony, and Carson.

You have to understand, it's not about whether [Redacted] is K or Jack Ramsay or Wooden. It's whether he fits what we need to right our program.

You know that I told you we were in deep shit about three years ago. I told you Dino didn't have any real control of the program.

The top level young coaches would not take our job knowing they'd have two years of bad records. You don't take that chance.

[Redacted] is never going to be a HOF coach. But he could be a good fit for Wake.

Good response. Bz is taking a bullet for a friend. I hope wellman remembers this sacrifice.

This just isn't true. I don't have the energy to argue why, but this didn't turn into a massive rebuilding job until [Redacted] had already taken the job. We were slated to have a decent amount of talent in 2010-2011 and with experience would have been expected to make the tournament in 2011-2012.

We were going to be a disaster last year no matter what. You really have to believe that a coach makes a 40 point difference not to understand that.

This may not be a good team, I think Nikita having to start defines just how bad our front court is, but it's already clear as day this team would beat the Ari/JT team.

This just isn't true. I don't have the energy to argue why, but this didn't turn into a massive rebuilding job until [Redacted] had already taken the job. We were slated to have a decent amount of talent in 2010-2011 and with experience would have been expected to make the tournament in 2011-2012.

WE were gogin to be under .500, with Tony W and a healthy Tony C. We returned ZERO full time starters.

Anyone who thought we'd have an over .500 season was delusional.

I thought that Fischer was better tonight than Joesph Amonett was at any point in his career. Now that may not sound like a compliment but I do mean it that way. I was just expecting Fischer to be the next Amonett but he really seems to be able to do a lot of helpful things on the court.

WE were gogin to be under .500, with Tony W and a healthy Tony C. We returned ZERO full time starters.

Anyone who thought we'd have an over .500 season was delusional.

Nobody predicted under .500 before Tony Woods' situation popped up. Stop reinventing history you old man. It is pathetic.

What I saw tonight:

Chase: Lost his rhythm, but played a solid game. I feel comfortable with the ball in his hands. Obviously will be a go to guy with CJ down the stretch if we need to hit FTs in the next few years. Passing ability is better than I expected. Seems calm out there.

Anthony: Should play a lot of minutes. I was expecting him to be in a backup role, but he will certainly push TC. His shot isn't falling, but neither is Tony's. Pretty cool to have one bigger pg who can score with contact while having a road runner out there too.

TC: Good FT shooting. Needs to start connecting from deep. Definitely looks to be a leader out there.

CJ & Travis: same old.

Nikita: I wish this dude were better, but he's just not good. He plays so hard, but doesn't have the talent. Needs to use the ball fake and drive more than shoot from deep. He does have a nice first step and his length can get him to the basket pretty quickly. Good FT shooting.

Carson: Off game. Needs to be stronger getting boards.

Green: Looked lost and out of place.

Overall, this team just looks so much smoother without JT, Ari, and Ty. They seem to be way more focused even if they don't have the talent, strength, or size right now. We won't win a lot of games, but I like our future. I liked the ball movement and cuts. I ended up saying "great look" or "great pass" a lot more than I did in our early games last year and was surprised it came after passes from Chase, Anthony, and Carson.

I think this nails it. I'm at a state right now where I don't even care too much about the score of our games. I find myself watching games and thinking about each possession as a fresh slate. Sometimes we have downright terrible possessions, but other times we have gorgeous ones. I get off to those.

Fields no look pass to Carson made #9 on SC Top Plays.

Was nice to see us back in there...

I like the Fields/TC combination. Fields can't score but has a nice handle and makes great passes.

Chennault is a bowling ball of a player, can be more physical than Fields for now and is certainly capable of scoring more.

What I really love is that between them it means zero CJ at point, which is critical.

If only we weren't playing a 3 and a finesse 4 at the 4 and 5 spots... Sigh...

I would suggest that the expectations of many for 2012-2013 are unreasonable. We will be depending on getting lots of minutes from freshmen. We will certainly be competitive, but I don't see us in the race for ACC Regular Season Title.

We also have to wait and see how good that recruiting class really is. I have heard mixed reviews.

Back