• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Wake Will" and Bzzz

meandmyuncleDeac

Reaction score
The "Wake Will" campaign hit me with an email today, which was preceded by a fancy brochure last month. I decided a year ago that I would not send any donation dollars to any Wake campaign, or the Deacon Club, as long as Bzzz is our basketball coach. Have any of you made such a resolution? Am I hurting the University as a whole by not donating?

there's no doubt bzzz will adversely impact this campaign. whether people make a conscious decision not to contribute because of their bad feelings toward the ath dept or not, the lack of a warm fuzzy feeling has got to hurt.

another reason to believe that he will not be around next year.

If you don't choose to let the [Redacted] debacle influence your giving, then donate. If you feel that in some small way you can protest the embarrassment that is the WFU basketball program, then send a check for $.01 and tell them why. Who knows, if enough of us do that it might actually get someone's attention. But probably not.

Wake Will has nothing to do with athletics. It has everything to do with Wake Forest remaining an elite academic institution and maintaining the value of all our degrees. Give or don't give but it has nothing to do with Bz. Donating to the campaign will have nothing to do with the retention of the empty suit at the head of the bench.

They know bzzz is despised. Four years into it -- they know. Yet, nothing has changed.

Wake Will and the AD are separate entities, but my concern is that the powers that be who oversee all spending somehow let $1,000,000+ slip into the hands of a completely incompetent and ineffective employee, year after year. What other horrendous decisions are being made?

Forget Bzz..the campaign would do a lot better if they would just return an e-mail every once in a while. I get that I'm not talking huge money, but you'd think they'd realize it's really key to get people when they're recent grads (and, for a recent grad, I would think it's a pretty good number). If I don't give now due to their incompetence, how likely is it I'll give in 30 years when I have some real money?

I think that athletics has always made Wake a special place. But the present athletic director, and the present basketball coach, have me feel alienated from the University as a whole. I think that's it, the feeling of Wake no longer being that special place where we all recognize that we're each part of something bigger. Until i get that feeling back, my donation dollars will go to the law school I attended. (not Wake law!)

They know bzzz is despised. Four years into it -- they know. Yet, nothing has changed.

Wake Will and the AD are separate entities, but my concern is that the powers that be who oversee all spending somehow let $1,000,000+ slip into the hands of a completely incompetent and ineffective employee, year after year. What other horrendous decisions are being made?

+1. I have returned every mailing they have sent requesting donations with some form of that exact response for the last two years.

Athletics does have an impact on academics. I know several friends who chose Wake over other very good academic schools because having D1 big time sports as part of their college and subsequent alumni experience helped break the tie in their minds with other places.

Also there are many, many worthwhile places to donate to who could really use money badly to do great things. If the people making the decisions do not understand just how big the Bzdisaster is on the impact of not just athletics but on Wake Forest as a whole, I cannot in good faith entrust them to steward my donations in appropriate ways that make meaningful differences.

Consequently "Wake Won't" see one dime from me until [Redacted] is removed.

I know that "Wake Will" has nothing to do with athletics, but you lie about integrity and expect people to donate huge money. You can't employ a person who swindled millions and then try to raise billions. Who the fuck is going to give a lot of money and "hope" it gets used the way that it is supposed to. Krispey Kreme learned the hard way. Should we make that mistake?

I know that "Wake Will" has nothing to do with athletics, but you lie about integrity and expect people to donate huge money. You can't employ a person who swindled millions and then try to raise billions. Who the fuck is going to give a lot of money and "hope" it gets used the way that it is supposed to. Krispey Kreme learned the hard way. Should we make that mistake?

Agreed.

athletics is a main reason most of us picked wake in the first place

I don't know the dude, but I do know he is still a licensed CPA which means he didn't "swindle millions". But don't let facts get in the way.

Screwing the academic side of the University because you don't like the basketball coach is not exactly forward thinking. But have at it. Because of course, athletics is far more important than education.

If you read the materials about 100 million goes to athletics. So it does relate.

I don't know the dude, but I do know he is still a licensed CPA which means he didn't "swindle millions". But don't let facts get in the way.

Screwing the academic side of the University because you don't like the basketball coach is not exactly forward thinking. But have at it. Because of course, athletics is far more important than education.

We can't all be the Ohio $tate University. We can only hope to come close.

Yeah, i'm quite familiar with the campaign. its massive. athletics is a fraction...no matter what the gross dollars are that go to athletics. again, it's shortsighted - not to mention self punitive since alumni get the benefit of future improvements in academic reputation - to boycott the academic capital campaign because bzzz is a terrible coach or your panties are in a wad about ron wellman. you aren't going to a better job because wake has an awesome hoops team but you may if wake is a top 10 rather than top 25 university.

Casstevens is still an active CPA. (#18291) I am a CPA in NC. The NC Board of CPA Examiners doesn't play. If you have any ruling of fraud or financial malfeasance they will take your license and never give it back without thinking twice about it. They have a well deserved reputation for being one of the most strict licensing boards around. The fact that they didn't permantly revoke his license and the minor SEC penalties does indicate to me that the case against Casstevens was very unusual and he must of had a significant amount of exculpatory evidence on his side.

Last edited:
Yeah, i'm quite familiar with the campaign. its massive. athletics is a fraction...no matter what the gross dollars are that go to athletics. again, it's shortsighted - not to mention self punitive since alumni get the benefit of future improvements in academic reputation - to boycott the academic capital campaign because bzzz is a terrible coach or your panties are in a wad about ron wellman. you aren't going to a better job because wake has an awesome hoops team but you may if wake is a top 10 rather than top 25 university.

90+% of us aren't going to a better job no matter what Wake is ranked academically. My current job gives zero shits where I did undergrad. None. If I ever have to get another job I can't think of a situation where any of them would also give a single shit where I did undergrad.

I still take great pride in Wake and want it to succeed in all areas, both academic and athletically. You can put your head in the sand and compartmentalize academics and athletics and pretend they function in vacuums independent of each other, but I refuse to accept that. Wake is Davidson without athletics. And Wake is a much bigger national name and commands much more national respect academically than Davidson largely because of athletics.

Buzzdick and Wellman are burning our flagship program to the ground. That flagship program affects so many more things at Wake than wins and losses of a sports team. It affects school pride, donations, morale, participation, and people actually giving a shit about Wake Forest and not tuning all things Mother So Dear out in apathy.

Back