• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Wake Will" and Bzzz

All I can say about Bz's career is "Being There." Great movie, Sellers should have won, etc. Isn't it amazing what can happen to you by being there? Bz knows. Anyway, Bz has proven himself to be at par or worse than Dwane Morrison, I mean, it is nearly impossible for a current ACC coach to do that, yet we have it.

Last edited:
Sure it was Wake's focus on academics that raised it's national presence. The Childress/Duncan era followed by a rise in applications was just a coincidence. Maybe some people have been asked if they said 'Lake Forest'.

Realistically, more donations = better jobs = 10+years before it happens in any measurable way.

Actually Deac83, US News changed Wake's classification from regional to national in 1994. Our national presence increased at the same time as the Childress/Duncan era but neither caused the other.

Certainly a good point.

Not that I'm the ideal measuring stick, but having not lived in 'ACC territory' since 1988 and traveling primarily outside of it as well I think I've seen the rise among post-graduates more tied to better athletics than better academics.

If would be interesting to see several view or where our alumni now live compared to 1994 and 1990 etc. We should be seeing a slow migration of Wake grads from the epicenter of NC as 'demand' grows for graduates with Wake degrees.

Also as 'demand' for a Wake degree grows among students outside of NC.

The data we'd need is where students are from before enrolling at Wake and where they are a year or two after graduation. If you map that, you'd theoretically see both move further away from Wake. I'm curious if more or fewer students are going back home after graduation as well.

They also do not fine you $150K and take your license unless you are guilty. It is not a question of his guilt. He did it. The question is whether he got off easy. Apparently the CPA's posting here don't think he did much wrong. So I guess it should not be surprising that the CPA "board" didn't come down on him too hard either. That kind of fraud must not be a big deal to the profession.

Well, don't let me stop you from jumping to a bunch of incorrect conclusions, but you are wrong in my case. I think financial statement fraud is a big deal. I know nothing about the specifics of the Casstevens case. Neither do you. I am simply commenting on the types of penalties that are typically handed down in these cases being much more severe.

There must have been something in the facts of the case that was favorable to him is my opinion based on my experience on how these entities typically handle such matters. I have heard that Casstevens was underqualified for that job. Maybe he was just a stooge?

I think his hiring at Wake in a financial leadership position is questionable because his reputation is forever tainted, but that doesn't change the fact that he was penalized in this case like he had a smaller role. Based on his position with KK, you would have thought they would have thrown the book at him. Based on what I know of the NC board, they must have had a very good reason to not permanently revoke his license. The suggestion that he had "friends" on the disciplinary board is based on what again?

Last edited:
bean counters are a half step below attorneys on the crook scale

You don't need to play footsie with the facts for someone who isn't close to guilty. The SEC doesn't bother with folks who aren't close to guilty.

Do you have any basis for this conclusion? My opinion is pretty much the opposite of this.

Color me not surprised there are posters on this board with little to zero finance knowledge/experience who think they are experts on CPA licensing and SEC investigations.

Color me not surprised there are posters on this board with little to zero finance knowledge/experience who think they are experts on CPA licensing and SEC investigations.
Or federal compliance and how crazy it's enforced/applied. This Castevens thing is a really bizarre extension of the BzOut campaign IMO.

Apparently it is too much to ask for Wake to hire people who were good at their previous job.

Apparently it is too much to ask for Wake to hire people who were good at their previous job.

But feel free to assume you are more equipped to reach the conclusion as to whether Casstevens was qualified or not than those who hired him. You know, based on what you read on the internet, surely you have all the facts about what went down at KK.

Same person hired Casstevens as hired [Redacted]. End of discussion.,

so you have concluded that clawson was a terrible hire too?

Nope. I've concluded that if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck then Wellman saying it isn't a duck isn't going to convince me otherwise.

I don't get hiring anyone with any history of SEC issues into a senior finance position.

Apparently both SECs have something in common. If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.

Same person hired Casstevens as hired [Redacted]. End of discussion.,

so you have concluded that clawson was a terrible hire too?

Not yet. But since Ron Wellman hired him, I'm not going to assume that he's all that and a pack of crackers either. It looks good so far, but he was hired by our incompetent, crony hiring AD.

I don't get hiring anyone with any history of SEC issues into a senior finance position.
Culture!

FWIW..a lot of government finance regs I run into are applied whether something is inadvertent or not (so the auditors tell me) and I imagine the SEC is no different. Not knowing the circumstances, I'd go with the board's decision.

Back