• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Wake Will" and Bzzz

When the money solicitations come, it is perfectly appropriate to ask why a typical Wake alumnus making a household income in a middle-class range of $100-$200,000 a year should write a "sacrificial" check to a university that:

1. Pays its president a comp package of around $1.5 million a year, one of the highest in country
2. Pays its athletics director a comp package of around $1 million, one of the highest in the country

Academic salaries for non-teaching administrators are outrageous all over the country, but Wake's are even more egregious than most.

PS: This is nothing to do with Bzz and won't be cured by firing Bzz.

Last edited:
Nothing more than basic stuff for me. Paid tuition for me, paid full tuition for my son and have supported Deacon Club for years. Have cut back on tickets and any additional funding support over and above my obligation at gold level.

Yeah, and they liked him so much that they are going to let him reapply to practice in front of the SEC in two years.

I don't think the guy should have ever been hired by MSD, but rjkarl would be proud of some of these mental gymnastics.

I just don't understand how you're trying to defend the credibility of your profession's governing board, while at the same time saying WFU shouldn't have hired him. Is it just because the perception that he's guilty, even though you think he wasn't, is bad for the university?

BTW, CPA's are good people :thumbsup:

I just don't understand how you're trying to defend the credibility of your profession's governing board, while at the same time saying WFU shouldn't have hired him. Is it just because the perception that he's guilty, even though you think he wasn't, is bad for the university?

BTW, CPA's are good people :thumbsup:

It would probably be best if he was in a job that wasn't in the public eye, because stuff like this is brought up on message boards like this.

And don't get me wrong. He failed in his responsibility to oversee the financial reporting process at KK. His license was revoked for 2 years. That is a major tarnish to one's reputation as a CPA.

But those penalties indicate to me that he probably didn't have the criminal intent.

Last edited:
It would probably be best if he was in a job that wasn't in the public eye, because stuff like this is brought up on message boards like this.

And don't get me wrong. He failed in his responsibility to oversee the financial reporting process at KK. His license was revoked for 2 years. That is a major tarnish to one's reputation as a CPA.

But those penalties indicate to me that he probably didn't have the criminal intent.

I've read entirely too much about KK in the last 45 minutes while I've been on a conference call. It does seem like the CEO/COO were the ones driving book-cooking. Not sure if that is a positive or negative for Casstevens. Stooge seems appropriate.

I've read entirely too much about KK in the last 45 minutes while I've been on a conference call. It does seem like the CEO/COO were the ones driving book-cooking. Not sure if that is a positive or negative for Casstevens. Stooge seems appropriate.

Well I guess Wellman and Bzz did need a third.

Just wanted to excerpt some of my favorite quotations from this thread:

Wake is Davidson without athletics.

Ouch.

forgive me for believing what I see in print instead of trusting a [CPA state governing] "board" that may have included one or more of his friends.

If I read it in print, it must be true!

Maybe he ratted out his co-conspirators for lenient treatment. Of course that just makes him a crook and a rat who should not be employed at MSD.

This will soon become an incontrovertible FACT on the OGBoards.

And as long as Wellman is our AD with his ego ruining everything that is athletics.

When TheReff is advocating for your side of the argument and spouting your talking points, I think your movement has, idiomatically, jumped the shark.

Go ask the admissions office what got wake forest noticed nationally in
From 1990-1997?
No professor and a research paper.

3 people. Rodney, Randolph, and Tim.

Martha Auman has the numbers. It was amazing.

I have cut my donations to athletics and split them between athletics and general fund.

I'm not sure about the ethical rules for CPA's, but I can say that the ones for lawyers apply not only to actual impropriety but also to "the appearance thereof." While I can't say for sure Casstevens is guilty of the former (although there is a lot of reason to believe he is), he is certainly guilty of the former, and in a very public manner. To an administration as concerned about its ethics as Wake Forest's purports itself to be, that hire is very suspect.

As for the suggestions that athletics and academics (and contributing to them) are separate entities, that argument stopped applying a long time ago. It's one thing to not contribute to athletics because we stink, and even if we stink and the administration isn't doing enough to address it. It's another thing when the administration essentially says, "Screw you. We don't care what you think and we don't care about you." Not just in what it has said, but also in the way it has said it. Wake Forest has always used words like "family" and "community" when talking about its students and alumni, and with great frequency. To suggest that affect toward the University, and the donations that come from it, will not or should not be affected when those words ring hollow is simply off base.

Back