• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WaPo’s David Ignatius & Morning Joe say Biden should not run in 2024

Thanks, but I don’t find that article or, if you click through, the original survey report, convincing that your strategy of getting another middle of the road White boomer man on the ticket is the right strategy. First of all, there is no spatial component, ie electoral college, of the Brookings article. For example, Biden won Georgia because of black women in Atlanta voting for him +90. Further, the Brookings summary totally skips over that Dems won under 35 voters by a wide margin (+12) and under 24 by a very wide margin (+23). If they are going to dump Kamala, they should get a younger minority to join, not a retread of another old white guy.

Fair enough. I’ll defer to Brookings on this one. I’ll defer to you regarding birds.

Who is the younger minority you would propose? It would need to be someone who doesn’t alienate moderate whites, and who brings more juice for already-heavily-leaning democratic base voters in swing states.

Or, Cooper, as I propose, who helps with moderate whites and very well may be the difference in NC.

Fair enough. I’ll defer to Brookings on this one. I’ll defer to you regarding birds.

Who is the younger minority you would propose? It would need to be someone who doesn’t alienate moderate whites, and who brings more juice for already-heavily-leaning democratic base voters in swing states.

Or, Cooper, as I propose, who helps with moderate whites and very well may be the difference in NC.
And I’ll defer to you regarding liquor stores!

You can defer to Brookings if you want, but that’s a weird response after someone points out to massive gaps in their article.

How about this idea, don’t change, keep Kamala Harris! Only way Harris should not be the vp nominee is if Biden doesn’t run, or she her self decides to step down. If she does that, Witmer should be the backup.

I’m more curious who Trump will pick for VP. He is running out of female candidates who wouldn’t be a drag on the ticket. Don’t think he goes with Tim Scott. I don’t know who would it be.

Are the swing states more likely to be swung by low turnout from young people and African Americans, who will overwhelmingly vote for a democrat (and are likely to turnout regardless if Trump is the nominee) or by attracting middle class whites who have traditionally voted for democrats but have been shakier in recent elections, in part fueled by Trump/GOP race baiting and concern that if/when Biden strokes out, Harris becomes POTUS?
Are you saying there is a large number of people who are racist enough not to vote for a Biden/Harris ticket for fear of Harris becoming President but would otherwise be happy to vote Democrat if it was an all white ticket? Who are these people? That sounds like Trump's base, not a moderate voter. I honestly never want to chase those votes at the expense of motivating young left leaning voters to show up in greater numbers. Pulling a black, female VP who has already beaten Trump for some old white guy no one has heard of outside NC sounds like the worst possible idea.

I’m more curious who Trump will pick for VP. He is running out of female candidates who wouldn’t be a drag on the ticket. Don’t think he goes with Tim Scott. I don’t know who would it be.
I’m going out on a limb with Tulsi, but I bet the security can footage really helped Bobert’s chances.

Are you saying there is a large number of people who are racist enough not to vote for a Biden/Harris ticket for fear of Harris becoming President but would otherwise be happy to vote Democrat if it was an all white ticket? Who are these people? That sounds like Trump's base, not a moderate voter. I honestly never want to chase those votes at the expense of motivating young left leaning voters to show up in greater numbers. Pulling a black, female VP who has already beaten Trump for some old white guy no one has heard of outside NC sounds like the worst possible idea.

Maybe not.

But if you think the moderate white voters in swing states who (at least per Brookings, one of if not the most respected political think tanks(s)) are the key to beating Trump in 2024 would prefer Harris over Cooper as a VP choice in the unique situation where an 82 year old is running for re-election, I don’t know what to tell you.

I don’t think it’s “right”. I just think it “is”. And to ignore the reality of it is dangerous when Trump is still lurking.

Doesn’t matter though. Harris will 100% be on the ticket unless Biden doesn’t run or Harris quits or dies. And if it’s Trump on the other side, I will encourage everyone I know to vote for them.

To Ph: Running another old white dude is exactly the point. Insurance. It is the main reason Biden got the nomination in 2020, and likely the main reason he won. It was the right strategy at that time. Democrats rarely employ the right strategy to win toss up elections or political fights. Exhibit A: running Biden again. Exhibit B: keeping Harris on the ticket.

Maybe not.

But if you think the moderate white voters in swing states who (at least per Brookings, one of if not the most respected political think tanks(s)) are the key to beating Trump in 2024 would prefer Harris over Cooper as a VP choice in the unique situation where an 82 year old is running for re-election, I don’t know what to tell you.

I don’t think it’s “right”. I just think it “is”. And to ignore the reality of it is dangerous when Trump is still lurking.

Doesn’t matter though. Harris will 100% be on the ticket unless Biden doesn’t run or Harris quits or dies. And if it’s Trump on the other side, I will encourage everyone I know to vote for them.

To Ph: Running another old white dude is exactly the point. Insurance. It is the main reason Biden got the nomination in 2020, and likely the main reason he won. It was the right strategy at that time. Democrats rarely employ the right strategy to win toss up elections or political fights. Exhibit A: running Biden again. Exhibit B: keeping Harris on the ticket.
I don’t know if this is the case across the country, but in Georgia, the VP choice will have little to no impact on the demographic group you seem to be focused on. The educated, suburban, white women who live in the Atlanta suburbs and exurbs can’t bring themselves to vote for Trump and his ilk, but are generally pretty solid Pub voters otherwise. It’s a big reason Biden beat Trump in 2020 and it’s the reason Brian Kemp won in a landslide, but Herschel Walker lost. And while Biden will get 90+% of the black vote and some very high percentage of the youth vote, dropping Harris from the ticket (and especially replacing her with someone like Cooper) would likely impact turnout from those groups in a negative manner, which, in what is sure to be a close race, could be outcome determinative.

And I’ll defer to you regarding liquor stores!

You can defer to Brookings if you want, but that’s a weird response after someone points out to massive gaps in their article.

How about this idea, don’t change, keep Kamala Harris! Only way Harris should not be the vp nominee is if Biden doesn’t run, or she her self decides to step down. If she does that, Witmer should be the backup.
He didn't read the article. #feelings

We know who is auditioning...

I'm just hoping it's Ramaswamy and Trump voters have a moment like when Clayton Bigsby realized he was black, i.e. their heads explode.

I think he’s gonna pick Noem
Maybe, but if she's really having a long-term affair with Corey Lewandowski I don't know if Trump could handle picking a running mate who preferred one of his lowly underlings and minions over him.

Back