• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Warning: Heartbreaking pictures within

Golden Retrievers are incredible pets and friends. I had a red golden male whose AKC name was "Taylors Big Boy Hoss" because I named him when I was 5 and watched Bonanza with my dad everyday. We bred Hoss with a golden female we had, and gave puppies to 5 of my friends in high school and 3 relatives of mine. Hoss slept at the foot of my bed until the day I moved out, and my parents told me that he slept at the door to my room for months after I left. My parents lived out of state when they had to put him to sleep, but they put the phone to his ear before the vet gave him the shots and I got to tell him I loved him. I haven't wanted another golden since then, but I do enjoy seeing pictures on facebook of all my friends with Hoss's puppies.

I got my golden when I was a senior at Wake. She was 8 weeks old. She has been the greatest dog and is awesome with my sons (ages 6 and 4). She was diagnosed with cancer about 5 months ago and we thought she only had weeks to live. I can't believe she's made it this long. She will be greatly missed!

There's nothing easy about it, but telling stories about the fun times, and aggravating times, helps take the sting off a little.

Sorry OA believe me I know how it feels we lost one at 16 1/2 last year. I worked at home for the last 13 with her. We finally got around to getting a puppy a couple of weeks ago. After we lost our first we decided having two dogs of staggered ages was the way to go. Being dogless sucks but it takes time after one passes to convince yourself you could ever go through that pain again. Having two helps with that a bit.

Crazy to see this thread today. I am putting my almost 13 year old golden retriever down tomorrow. Today has been tough. Tomorrow will be much worse.

Golden Retrievers are incredible pets and friends. I had a red golden male whose AKC name was "Taylors Big Boy Hoss" because I named him when I was 5 and watched Bonanza with my dad everyday. We bred Hoss with a golden female we had, and gave puppies to 5 of my friends in high school and 3 relatives of mine. Hoss slept at the foot of my bed until the day I moved out, and my parents told me that he slept at the door to my room for months after I left. My parents lived out of state when they had to put him to sleep, but they put the phone to his ear before the vet gave him the shots and I got to tell him I loved him. I haven't wanted another golden since then, but I do enjoy seeing pictures on facebook of all my friends with Hoss's puppies.

I got my golden when I was a senior at Wake. She was 8 weeks old. She has been the greatest dog and is awesome with my sons (ages 6 and 4). She was diagnosed with cancer about 5 months ago and we thought she only had weeks to live. I can't believe she's made it this long. She will be greatly missed!

The pictures didnt get to me, but I'll admit this had me all torn up. Best of luck to you today OA.

I really didn't think that any were really that heartwrenching either.

Hmmmm...... a brother crying on the street after learning his brother has been shot does not sting at all??

Hmmmm...... a brother crying on the street after learning his brother has been shot does not sting at all??

The look on the officer's face was pretty sad too (could be totally coincidental but he looks upset to me).

As a follow-up to #4... The photographer posted the pic and story on facebook and raised enough money to return Buzz Lightyear. The proceeds ended up exceeding the $400, and the man tried to get the rest of the money from the photographer who refused to give him cash due to his drug history. In the end, she donated the proceeds to the animal shelter. And to think, I was sympathetic to the guy at first...the ungrateful prick. I truly feel sorry for the helpless dog.
http://laist.com/2013/02/20/man_reunited_with_dog_turns_on_helper.php

Not trying to be flippant about something that obviously sucked, but no, that didn't get me emotional in the least.

The pictures didnt get to me, but I'll admit this had me all torn up. Best of luck to you today OA.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The vet is actually coming to our house around noon and everything will take place here. We figured that way, she would at least be somewhere familiar and not scared. My sons don't know what's going to happen today and will find out when they get home from school. Watching my older son tell her goodbye before school not knowing that would be the last time he would see her broke my heart.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The vet is actually coming to our house around noon and everything will take place here. We figured that way, she would at least be somewhere familiar and not scared. My sons don't know what's going to happen today and will find out when they get home from school. Watching my older son tell her goodbye before school not knowing that would be the last time he would see her broke my heart.

Little dusty in the office.

Yeah, it is really hard on kids. Tough call on if telling them is right or not. When our cat went down, my girls were not happy they did not get to say good bye, but I think either way they would be torn up. Seeing a dead dog/cat is not good for them either. Who knows.

I cry at everything...and I mean everything. None of them got me. The mother son picture got the closest.

I don't know how big your dog is, but you may want to make sure she evacuates her bowels as completely as possible before the procedure. Otherwise, you could be in for an awful smell as your last memory of your dog. Not trying to be insensitive, but things happen.

We put our last golden down at home. Much better than the time before when done at the vet

I don't know how big your dog is, but you may want to make sure she evacuates her bowels as completely as possible before the procedure. Otherwise, you could be in for an awful smell as your last memory of your dog. Not trying to be insensitive, but things happen.

Our vet had us not feed our dog so this wouldnt be an issue.

One of the things that got me when we put one of our beagles down was how the other beagle reacted. She was not the same at all. Every morning we would let them out the front and she would just sprint up & down the street multiple times. After Snickers passed, Daisy would barely go to the end of the driveway. She was barely eating anything afterwards, would sleep all day.

When Daisy was killed, neighbors even said that she wasn't the same.

Dogs grieve too. It just breaks my heart to see them go through it. Its like they only partially understand.

Damn me for reading this thread.

Those of you that are my Facebook friends know that I have a very old fox terrier (16 now) who has lived and travelled with us for years - Russia, Sicily, Austria and God only knows where in between. I work from home and with lots of new places and faces he's been one of the consistent anchors that vadtoy and I have had - no matter how frustrating or maddening a day can be he's always there so happy to see us.

Two months ago he had pancreatitis, spent a week in the dog hospital and we were about 24 hours from putting him down when he finally started eating again and recovered (for now, obviously). I know that he's got probably less than a year to live now and that I've been lucky to have him for so long ... but damn, it's going to be so crushing when it happens. That Reddit link I should have never read, that's for sure.

Me and Bailey at the hospital when we thought we were probably our last visit:

857922_10100443180399849_1459437203_o.jpg

Back