• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We Are In Good Hands With Hartman and Kern

Deaconman

Reaction score
I think both of these quarterbacks have a lot of talent and potential. Look at it this way, the football staff developed Jamie, they certainly can coach-up Sam and Michael!

Go Deacs...

I would say there is very little drop off from Newman to Hartman, but depth will be the obvious concern. While I believe Kerns and Griffis will be fantastic players for us down the line, I don’t believe they are ready to step in and play when Hartman gets injured (and he likely will given we haven’t had a starting QB make it through the season uninjured in years). Recruiting another QB for 2020 will do little for us in the short turn, thus I think finding a solid transfer is a good option. Otherwise, could be a tough year given our schedule.

Wolford and Hartman played as freshmen. Surely the coaching staff can get Kern and Griffis ready to be backups with spring and summer practices.

https://youtu.be/IPqTInGBwI8
The highlights from this video are incredible. 70% completion rate his junior year. Threw for 500 yards his first senior season game. Lead Florida in passing touchdowns. If we can keep Kern around while Hartman runs the show, we will be fine.

https://youtu.be/IPqTInGBwI8
The highlights from this video are incredible. 70% completion rate his junior year. Threw for 500 yards his first senior season game. Lead Florida in passing touchdowns. If we can keep Kern around while Hartman runs the show, we will be fine.

This video speaks to Kern’s quick throwing motion. We saw that when we got to see him throw this season.

Kern will now become the fans’ favorite player on the team as the second team QB.

This video speaks to Kern’s quick throwing motion. We saw that when we got to see him throw this season.

Kern will now become the fans’ favorite player on the team as the second team QB.

Sneaky athletic too. He seems like to prototypical RPO QB who can whip it anywhere on the field. He needs to put on about 20 pounds though.

Also high on incoming QB Griffis. Son of a coach and ran the RPO offense at Broad Run. Said his Dad took plays from Wake to implement in their offense. Short at 5’10, but pretty solid build. Our QB situation looks pretty damn good to me for the next 5 years.

Sneaky athletic too. He seems like to prototypical RPO QB who can whip it anywhere on the field. He needs to put on about 20 pounds though.

Also high on incoming QB Griffis. Son of a coach and ran the RPO offense at Broad Run. Said his Dad took plays from Wake to implement in their offense. Short at 5’10, but pretty solid build. Our QB situation looks pretty damn good to me for the next 5 years.

Obviously hard to glean much from HS highlights but Griffis def has a bit of a Wolford look running the RPO. Shorter, shiftier guy who can make things happen as a runner.

Hartman will throw for 3500 yards in 2020. We will be more than fine.

Hitman (Hartman) is better than Jamie. That was the issue.

Newman is better than Hartman and would have been better than Hartman in 2020. However, Hartman is far from a slouch and we can win with him.

Interesting that Newman’s comment and our assumptions make it seem like Newman feels he didn’t develop at Wake. However I remember clawson stating that at first, they thought that they may have to move Newman to TE because it just didn’t click in his first year.

Interesting that he thinks he wouldn’t continue to develop like he did in year 1.

While essentially meaningless, Kern looked impressive in the passing drills before the Pinstripe Bowl. The young man has a gun, throws a tight spiral and looked very accurate (granted against no defense). He is also thin, and doesn't appear to have the body type for a heavy dose of the "run" part of the RPO.

I am sure this has been mentioned but two seasons ago there was a near dead heat at QB coming into the season. There was a lot of debate among us as to who should start. Hartman won out by a nose and started 8 games before breaking his leg. Newman came in and played great for the rest of the season. Newman ended up getting the nod for this year and played really well. When he got injured, Hartman came in and played well also.

While I think that Newman is a better runner and has a good arm, I also think Hartman throws the ball very well. He may not be built to run the long mesh point that we ran this season but he is very capable and we should be fine moving forward. Kern looks to be very serviceable as a backup.

If we look at this honestly, Newman leaving is probably the best scenario we could have hoped for. This way we get to keep Hartman and possibly Kern in the fold for the next 3+ years. Had Newman decided to stay, we may have had him for one more season but lost out on Hartman.....maybe. My point as I explained above, there wasn't a whole lot separating these two QB's last season and probably not much this season either. Knowing the competition was so close makes me feel better about the next three seasons. If we can develop some depth, improve our defense a bit and give up the mesh point stuff, I think we still have a very bright future. Depth is the key here, 1st string we stand toe to toe with most teams, it's our 2nd's and 3rd's where the talent gap is so big. Taking 2 and 3 stars and sitting them for a year getting them stronger and more acclimated to our system raises them one star IMHO. So now we have 3 and 4 stars playing in year 2. Keep going Clawson, bigger things are coming for us.

Go Deacs!

I am sure this has been mentioned but two seasons ago there was a near dead heat at QB coming into the season. There was a lot of debate among us as to who should start. Hartman won out by a nose and started 8 games before breaking his leg. Newman came in and played great for the rest of the season. Newman ended up getting the nod for this year and played really well. When he got injured, Hartman came in and played well also.

While I think that Newman is a better runner and has a good arm, I also think Hartman throws the ball very well. He may not be built to run the long mesh point that we ran this season but he is very capable and we should be fine moving forward. Kern looks to be very serviceable as a backup.

If we look at this honestly, Newman leaving is probably the best scenario we could have hoped for.
This way we get to keep Hartman and possibly Kern in the fold for the next 3+ years. Had Newman decided to stay, we may have had him for one more season but lost out on Hartman.....maybe. My point as I explained above, there wasn't a whole lot separating these two QB's last season and probably not much this season either. Knowing the competition was so close makes me feel better about the next three seasons. If we can develop some depth, improve our defense a bit and give up the mesh point stuff, I think we still have a very bright future. Depth is the key here, 1st string we stand toe to toe with most teams, it's our 2nd's and 3rd's where the talent gap is so big. Taking 2 and 3 stars and sitting them for a year getting them stronger and more acclimated to our system raises them one star IMHO. So now we have 3 and 4 stars playing in year 2. Keep going Clawson, bigger things are coming for us.

Go Deacs!

I would say the best scenario would be Newman having an awesome senior year followed by two years of Hartman. I'm very hopeful about Hartman based on some of the points you mentioned, but including Newman's transfer as part of a "best scenario" seems optimistic at best.

I would say the best scenario would be Newman having an awesome senior year followed by two years of Hartman. I'm very hopeful about Hartman based on some of the points you mentioned, but including Newman's transfer as part of a "best scenario" seems optimistic at best.

Possibly Bowers will return from the Transfer Portal just as Hinton did. Then we would be sufficiently covered.

I think Hartman and Kern are both really good, we've seen what Sam can do. I am going to miss having a QB with Newman's size though.

While I think Bowers is a great story and a tale of how Clawson takes care of the young men that commit, the fact that Kerns played at the end of Elon was a sign to me that he had passed Bowers on the depth chart. I hope that he is now fully recovered and decides to stay and fight for a spot or goes elsewhere searching for playing time. He is another player that was given a shot and may or may not have the ability to play at this level. Whatever happens with him or Jamie I wish them well and hope both will look fondly at MSD as their lives progress.

While essentially meaningless, Kern looked impressive in the passing drills before the Pinstripe Bowl. The young man has a gun, throws a tight spiral and looked very accurate (granted against no defense). He is also thin, and doesn't appear to have the body type for a heavy dose of the "run" part of the RPO.

This was my hot take as well.

What Hartman needs is a 4th quarter comeback drive or 4th down touchdown a la newman and he will have this team on his back. Say what you will about Jamie, but from state up through Louisville this year, he put our team on his back.

This was my hot take as well.

What Hartman needs is a 4th quarter comeback drive or 4th down touchdown a la newman and he will have this team on his back. Say what you will about Jamie, but from state up through Louisville this year, he put our team on his back.

Or maybe Sage and Scotty put the team on their backs and caught every jump ball he threw up because we sure wasn't the same with them hurt.

Or maybe Sage and Scotty put the team on their backs and caught every jump ball he threw up because we sure wasn't the same with them hurt.

Very, very few teams could lose two of their top three receivers and be the same.

I think Hartman and Kern are both really good, we've seen what Sam can do. I am going to miss having a QB with Newman's size though.

I honestly hope you're right, but what makes you think Kern is "really good"? Which of his 9 pass attempts really stood out? Or was it the gawdy HS stats?

Back