• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We Are In Good Hands With Hartman and Kern

Chinaski referenced Wolford. Do we realize how much better Wolford was than anyone we have now and yet how much more punishment he took than any QB over the past two seasons? And imagine Wolford throwing to Surratt and Hinton.

Sorry for the reference to the past; but I still think that John Wolford was in many respects the best QB ever to play at WF...and perhaps the toughest. What is happening now makes me even more appreciative of all that he endured and accomplished.

Wolford's senior year was amazing. But as a freshman, Hartman threw for 2,000 yards on just under 300 attempts before he got hurt. Wolford had worse than a 1:1 TD/INT ratio both his junior and senior years. It was awesome to watch everything come together for him as a senior and really show how dynamic the offense can be, but he really only had the one big year. Hartman threw for over 300 yards in two conference games this year despite only getting 3 games of actual playing time. Wolford went for over 300 yards in 2 conference games in his first 3 years combined.

Obviously there's a talent difference around them, but I could absolutely see us getting 2 years of senior Wolford level QB play out of Hartman now that he's getting an extra year as the starter. At this point in their careers he's clearly better.

It's pretty ridiculous how some people in this fan base are under selling Hartman. He was thrown to the Wolves as a true freshman quarterback and played pretty damn good this year in a backup role.

It's pretty ridiculous how some people in this fan base are under selling Hartman. He was thrown to the Wolves as a true freshman quarterback and played pretty damn good this year in a backup role.

And it def would make sense to expect Hartman to perform better as full time starter with accompanying reps and an AA talent at WR and big time rising star opposite.

Dude it was pouring he threw for over 300 yards no ints and we won. Against unc we had one decent drive in the last 35 minutes of the game.

I am a Hartman fan and am growing progressively more optimistic about him quarterbacking our offense for the next three years. But he not play well vs. FSU, whether he threw for 300 yards or not, and was really, really bad in the second half. The rain is probably legitimate reason given how well he played in other games, but denying his subpar play against FSU is delusional.

That said, I would advise Wake fans to watch the Hartman portions of the Syracuse and Louisville condensed games, which are both very encouraging.

Last edited:
You really can’t complain about games aging you if you weren’t in the stands for FSU and Duke this year. That weather was brutal.

He missed some really short throws very badly. He also was pretty meh is freshman year IMO. Happy to be wrong on this, but on not bullish on Sam.

It just watched the condensed FSU game and I just don't see the characterization of that game as terrible QB play even regardless of the weather. Hartman's accuracy was much better overall in that game than for instance, Newman last year against Pitt at home.

It just watched the condensed FSU game and I just don't see the characterization of that game as terrible QB play even regardless of the weather. Hartman's accuracy was much better overall in that game than for instance, Newman last year against Pitt at home.
I haven't looked at the box score since the game, but I think we had a lot of redzone chances with only field goals to show for them. So, Hartman moved the ball, we just didn't finish drives. I remember Hartman playing fairly well.

The Sam Hartman vs Sam Howell Era begins

Chinaski referenced Wolford. Do we realize how much better Wolford was than anyone we have now and yet how much more punishment he took than any QB over the past two seasons? And imagine Wolford throwing to Surratt and Hinton.

Sorry for the reference to the past; but I still think that John Wolford was in many respects the best QB ever to play at WF...and perhaps the toughest. What is happening now makes me even more appreciative of all that he endured and accomplished.

Agree 100%. Imagine what he could have done if opposing teams didn't have our playbook for a good part, if not most, of his career.

My favorite WF QB ever.

Fuck you, Elrod.

Agree.

It all clicked for Wolford his senior season but really before that he had a less than 1 td/int ratio every year.

His numbers particularly the last half of that senior season were amazing.

Sorry for rehashing 2/3-days-old conversation, but based on Clawson's comments about Sam after the 3 games he played substantial minutes this season, FSU was by far his worst game. And based on Sam's comments, too.

Sam on not scoring in red zone: "I think we’ve just gotta execute better and with games, the tighter it gets, the harder it gets. But honestly it was just me missing reads and missing throws."

Sam, now that he started a game and won, does he want to keep starting role moving forward even after Jamie comes back?: "I mean honestly, I played so poorly I don’t know. Definitely the defense helped me ... Our defense, up front, they kept us in the game and that’s all we can ask and we definitely needed to score better in the red zone, but it’s an awesome feeling."

We all saw Hartman's freshman year and it was good for a freshman starter, but not great. He's also smaller than Newman and got hurt running the offense.

Back