• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We Are In Good Hands With Hartman and Kern

I am a Hartman fan and am growing progressively more optimistic about him quarterbacking our offense for the next three years. But he not play well vs. FSU, whether he threw for 300 yards or not, and was really, really bad in the second half. The rain is probably legitimate reason given how well he played in other games, but denying his subpar play against FSU is delusional.

That said, I would advise Wake fans to watch the Hartman portions of the Syracuse and Louisville condensed games, which are both very encouraging.

I am going to need therapy after watching those 2 highlights. Jamie's interception at the end of the first half in the Louisville game was one of his worst passes of the year. Freudenthal was so wide open.

We all saw Hartman's freshman year and it was good for a freshman starter, but not great. He's also smaller than Newman and got hurt running the offense.

I remember it as very good, not great against top 15 defenses.

Riley Skinner in 2006, his frosh year: 14 games, 171-260 (65.8%), 2051 yards, 7.9 passing yards per attempt, 9 TDs, 5 INTs, Passer rating of 139.6
Sam Hartman in 2018, his frosh year: 9 games, 161-291 (55.3%), 1984 yards, 6.8 passing yards per attempt, 16 TDs, 8 INTs, Passer rating of 125.2

Riley's stats were down a bit sophomore and junior years and fairly amazing senior year (passer rating of 147.8).

I will say it again. We will miss Newman. He was a beast. It was a luxury having a guy of his size who could literally knock helmets off linebackers, but maybe because of how he had to wait his turn and understanding the quarterback battle between Hinton and Wolford was often about who made the fewest mistakes - Newman was fairly conservative in his RPO reads. Hartman is going to whip the ball around in comparison. We'll be naturally a little more dynamic on offense next year, but defenses will not need to prepare to try and protect against scrambles from a 240 pound quarterback.

I would like to see us add some things to the offense. With the backs we have coming back, I'd like to see us pitch for end runs, for example.

As I recall, when Hartman was really going well (against inferior competition, but also against Louisville and Syracuse this year), the fact that he whips the ball around AND is able to get the offense to the line just as fast as Newman created fatigue on the defensive side. It sort of reminds me of NBA teams going up against the Spurs during the Duncan-ginobili-Parker hey day in which they threw 10 passes per possession and teams just got tired whipping their heads around by the 4th quarter. Ditto for Hartman led drives that get to that 5th or 6th play in the 2nd half. I never felt that with Newman. He bullied teams instead. But going up against Newman, there were plays you just knew he was going to hand off or run it himself, almost as a breather. In hindsight, I wish we would have thrown the slot screen on those plays. Bakc to Hartman, I don't remember those types of "breather" plays.

Last edited:
Sorry for rehashing 2/3-days-old conversation, but based on Clawson's comments about Sam after the 3 games he played substantial minutes this season, FSU was by far his worst game. And based on Sam's comments, too.

Sam on not scoring in red zone: "I think we’ve just gotta execute better and with games, the tighter it gets, the harder it gets. But honestly it was just me missing reads and missing throws."

Sam, now that he started a game and won, does he want to keep starting role moving forward even after Jamie comes back?: "I mean honestly, I played so poorly I don’t know. Definitely the defense helped me ... Our defense, up front, they kept us in the game and that’s all we can ask and we definitely needed to score better in the red zone, but it’s an awesome feeling."

For a sophomore, it appears he handles post game interviews better than Jamie Lol.

For a sophomore, it appears he handles post game interviews better than Jamie Lol.

2018 and early '19 Jamie post-game interviews were fun. Became more business-like/annoyed with us as year got later this season.

Sam is extremely loose in interviews. But that's only come out in the past year -- let me reiterate again that I hated not being able to talk to the starting QB until halfway through the '18 season because of Clawson's true freshman interview rules.

2018 and early '19 Jamie post-game interviews were fun. Became more business-like/annoyed with us as year got later this season.

Sam is extremely loose in interviews. But that's only come out in the past year -- let me reiterate again that I hated not being able to talk to the starting QB until halfway through the '18 season because of Clawson's true freshman interview rules.

No response expected, but I can't help but wonder if the change in his interview demeanor coincided with the decline in his effectiveness.

Back