• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We do have basketball game Saturday

Personally, while I think Woods is one of our top players, I think the 6th Man spark he brought into the game was important. I am not sure some of Arians seeming lost wasn't somehow related.

My concern with Dinos is he is falling back into a pattern from last year. I did the stats in a post then. He was an early contributor and then became almost a perimeter observer as his number of shots, points, rebounds and three pointers all declined. We need him to be a real threat on the offensive end otherwise we become easy to defend.

Ten ACC berths is a virtual lock this year. Eleven or twelve is not out of the question. It's conceivable that GT and BC will be a combined 1-35 in the conference which could allow the 11th and 12th teams in. It's still a reach for us to get there.

We are currently 11th in the ACC according to Kenpom.

I think 7-11 is the most likely outcome with a road win at BC and a big home upset (Duke, UNC, or Louisville). Hopefully from there we can make a run in the tourney, lock up an NIT bid and get some experience for next year.

It seems to me that maybe Manning is growing as a coach. We did not allow the wide open 3 pointers we often do. The substitution pattern seemed better.

Thought Sam showed a lot but still made a few turnovers that I think may have been from lack of playing time. I think it would be interesting to see Collins at the 4 and either Moore or Sam at the 5 for 10-15 minutes a game. Would give us some more inside presence and toughness. I think Collins is plenty quick to play the 4.

Manning seems unwilling to allow less than four 3-point shooters in the game at a time. I could be proven wrong, but my guess is that we would win more games if we played more bigs at certain times in the game.

Problem with Collins is he has to be in the low post to be effective and he's an awful passer which makes spacing even more of an issue if SJM or Doral are in the post.

Doral's shown some ability to sneak behind the defense for some weak side lobs and he's actually got a decent baseline jumper from 12-15 feet which means the spacing could work in theory. But until Collins demonstrates the ability to pass out of the post it's going to be an issue. I also don't think Collins has the footwork to defend perimeter 4's without fouling.

I do think we will see Collins and Moore/SJM on the floor at some point this year and ultimately think that a 5 of Crawford/Woods/Chaundee/Collins/Moore gives us the best chance to be special next year (unless Dinos puts in a junior year Ricky Peral shooting performance).

Problem with Collins is he has to be in the low post to be effective and he's an awful passer which makes spacing even more of an issue if SJM or Doral are in the post.

Doral's shown some ability to sneak behind the defense for some weak side lobs and he's actually got a decent baseline jumper from 12-15 feet which means the spacing could work in theory. But until Collins demonstrates the ability to pass out of the post it's going to be an issue. I also don't think Collins has the footwork to defend perimeter 4's without fouling.

I do think we will see Collins and Moore/SJM on the floor at some point this year and ultimately think that a 5 of Crawford/Woods/Chaundee/Collins/Moore gives us the best chance to be special next year (unless Dinos puts in a junior year Ricky Peral shooting performance).

Also, Manning mostly prefers to have at least one true big on the floor at all times. He views Collins as our best true big. But Collins is foul prone and then he wants to have Moore sub in. However, Moore is foul prone as well. So using both at the same time jeopardizes having a true big available if they both get in foul trouble.

Manning was protecting Collins last night but Collins also played smart to avoid fouls. He's learning.

For those worried about Collins jumping pro quickly, last night can put some of that to rest right now. My concern with Collins is that he's still relatively slender. Although he was taller than X's big men, Gaston was physically stronger. It was a really physical battle in the post. And I think part of the reason Collins missed some of the shots was because he was slightly pushed out of position or just a bit winded from the physicality of it. His moves were there, he had clean looks that he would normally make, but perhaps the degree of difficulty in getting those shots pushed him slightly out of his comfort zone. Have to give X's big men credit for that.

I really like what Manning is doing. He knows the game and can recognize talent. Mack was very complimentary of him in the post-game handshake.

Source? Were you close enough to hear or did you read this somewhere? The only quotes I've seen from Mack were just lamenting all of Xavier's TOs, which according to them were the only reason the game was close.

Dinos is turning into Ricky Peral. He used to have one decent skill but that has one out the window, yet he continues to play because of his past performance (and obviously our lack of other options). But he sucks, I might go small and see what DickWash or the dude from the west coast can do.

Well, Peral had one job, hit 3's. If Dino's progresses as a true PF and never took another 3 I'd be ok with that. Last night was not one of his better games, to say the least, only 4 rbs and 4 pts, but so far he has taken to the conversion to PF.

Well, Peral had one job, hit 3's. If Dino's progresses as a true PF and never took another 3 I'd be ok with that. Last night was not one of his better games, to say the least, only 4 rbs and 4 pts, but so far he has taken to the conversion to PF.

Dinos got Arinzed. I think he has plenty of value as a stretch 4 but he may have bulked up beyond that role.

What? He has the best foot work on the team. Consider the alternative, Dinos guarding the 4. I think it would be a major plus to move JC there defensively.

With Woods in the starting lineup, bringing Dinos off the bench might give us an offensive spark for the 2nd unit.

What? He has the best foot work on the team. Consider the alternative, Dinos guarding the 4. I think it would be a major plus to move JC there defensively.

With Woods in the starting lineup, bringing Dinos off the bench might give us an offensive spark for the 2nd unit.

not defensively.

He is elite at the college level when it comes to offensive post positioning and footwork. He's mediocre when it comes to perimeter defensive positioning and footwork. The same can be said about his hands on both ends.

not defensively.

He is elite at the college level when it comes to offensive post positioning and footwork. He's mediocre when it comes to perimeter defensive positioning and footwork. The same can be said about his hands on both ends.

I'm not sure I agree with mediocre but I think we can both agree he brings more than what Dinos can bring in terms of footwork on both ends.

Dinos is fine. He's always been very streaky from 3. His willingness to bang more underneath this year has been (and will be) essential to our success.

Moore and SJM can provide spot minutes, but Dinos needs to play about 30 min a game.

My perspective is that Dinos is much stronger and better inside than he has ever been. His shooting has been poor lately. If he can find his shooting touch then he could be very good-- take a smaller opponent inside and a bigger one outside.

A lot of people are thinking of the Dinos from Virginia two years ago or Indiana last year. He's not a stretch four. He doesn't make enough shots to earn that designation. Not only does he miss a lot of shots they are quick within the offense and no one is ready to rebound.

He wouldn't get off the bench for Duke, Carolina, Virginia, Louisville, Xavier, etc. We aren't going to become a relevant team with guys of his talent level playing 30 minutes a game.

A lot of people are thinking of the Dinos from Virginia two years ago or Indiana last year. He's not a stretch four. He doesn't make enough shots to earn that designation. Not only does he miss a lot of shots they are quick within the offense and no one is ready to rebound.

He wouldn't get off the bench for Duke, Carolina, Virginia, Louisville, Xavier, etc. We aren't going to become a relevant team with guys of his talent level playing 30 minutes a game.

IDK. I've seen enough corner 3s from him and just enough rebounding and blocks this year to know he can help us. IDGAS about other teams' needs.

I'm not talking about other teams' needs, I'm talking about ours. And we need better players in some spots.

Source? Were you close enough to hear or did you read this somewhere? The only quotes I've seen from Mack were just lamenting all of Xavier's TOs, which according to them were the only reason the game was close.

He was extremely complimentary of him and Wake Forest in the post-game interview, saying "This isn't the same Wake Forest team that we've seen in years past. They're going to do a LOT better than people think." Of course, Rick Pitino was similarly complimentary after beating us last year. But I think we're going to end up doing better than people think. I love Childress' ability to penetrate, draw fouls, and find the open man. Very encouraged to see Big Sam get productive minutes last night.

Manning faces some tough decisions. Dinos cannot cover in space, meaning most of the stretch 4s he faces will cause significant defensive problems. Collins remains erratic in space and still prone to pick up silly fouls. Given his importance offensively, Manning seems not to want him out defending too far out on the court. I wonder if at some point he will slide Arians to the 4 against stretch 4s and insert Childress in the lineup as the third guard.

In this scenario, Dinos becomes the post back up which relegates Moore (deservedly given his performance this season) and SJM to playing only when fouls become an issue. It would be great if Richard Washington was ready to move into the guard/wing rotation or if Greg Mac could cover the stretch 4s. What this team needs is a Scooter Banks who could cover in space, play physically and rebound well.

Manning faces some tough decisions. Dinos cannot cover in space, meaning most of the stretch 4s he faces will cause significant defensive problems. Collins remains erratic in space and still prone to pick up silly fouls. Given his importance offensively, Manning seems not to want him out defending too far out on the court. I wonder if at some point he will slide Arians to the 4 against stretch 4s and insert Childress in the lineup as the third guard.

In this scenario, Dinos becomes the post back up which relegates Moore (deservedly given his performance this season) and SJM to playing only when fouls become an issue. It would be great if Richard Washington was ready to move into the guard/wing rotation or if Greg Mac could cover the stretch 4s. What this team needs is a Scooter Banks who could cover in space, play physically and rebound well.

Scooter would be a huge asset on this team, as he was on those early 90s teams.

Back