• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We do have basketball game Saturday

I'm very much against GMac and Arians at the 4. The big hitters in the league will make us their bitch with that tiny and unathletic frontcourt. Can't let good size sit on the bench wasting scholarships and key time to develop.
Additionally, Collins needs to develop as a 4 because he certainly won't be playing center on any team after college.

I'm very much against GMac and Arians at the 4. The big hitters in the league will make us their bitch with that tiny and unathletic frontcourt. Can't let good size sit on the bench wasting scholarships and key time to develop.
Additionally, Collins needs to develop as a 4 because he certainly won't be playing center on any team after college.

Unless Collins improves his shooting range, he will not be playing much at the 4 (at least as a starter) at the NBA level in the space and pace era. I'm not necessarily advocating Arians at the 4 as much as trying to figure out options that address the significant defensive liabilities this team has.

Unless Collins improves his shooting range, he will not be playing much at the 4 (at least as a starter) at the NBA level in the space and pace era. I'm not necessarily advocating Arians at the 4 as much as trying to figure out options that address the significant defensive liabilities this team has.

Collins has a nice looking shot. He should be able to improve his range out to 15 ft or so. I don't see him playing the 5 in the NBA, although perhaps the line between the 4 and 5 isn't as clear as it once was.

Manning has to do better at end of game sets. We need to have 2 or 3 go to plays to get a good shot (and not simply iso a ball handler). We don't have a guy on this team that can simply create a shot out of nothing. Crawford thinks he is that guy, but he simply isn't. So with 1 minutes left in the game, we have to run a set. In order for Manning to capitalize on the positive momentum he is creating on the recruiting trail he is going to have to grow as a coach. I like Manning, and thought for where we were as a program he was a good hire, but if he wants to be WFU's head coach for the next 20 years he has to grow. It is one of the downsides of hiring a coach that doesn't have a lot of head coaching experience. He doesn't have the history book to pull plays that he knows will work. This team is good enough to sneak into the tournament, and we are definitely an NIT team based on what I have seen. If we aren't fighting for the middle half of the ACC by the end of the year then it will be a little disappointing.

Collins has a nice looking shot. He should be able to improve his range out to 15 ft or so. I don't see him playing the 5 in the NBA, although perhaps the line between the 4 and 5 isn't as clear as it once was.

He already has 15 foot range. He routinely makes free throw line jumpers to the point where I get frustrated when we don't use that advantage to help bust up 2-3 zones. If you can make the center step up to defend the free throw line, you can seal one of the forwards and either pass it down low for a shot or a kick out to the corner.

Last edited:
Manning has to do better at end of game sets. We need to have 2 or 3 go to plays to get a good shot (and not simply iso a ball handler). We don't have a guy on this team that can simply create a shot out of nothing. Crawford thinks he is that guy, but he simply isn't. So with 1 minutes left in the game, we have to run a set. In order for Manning to capitalize on the positive momentum he is creating on the recruiting trail he is going to have to grow as a coach. I like Manning, and thought for where we were as a program he was a good hire, but if he wants to be WFU's head coach for the next 20 years he has to grow. It is one of the downsides of hiring a coach that doesn't have a lot of head coaching experience. He doesn't have the history book to pull plays that he knows will work. This team is good enough to sneak into the tournament, and we are definitely an NIT team based on what I have seen. If we aren't fighting for the middle half of the ACC by the end of the year then it will be a little disappointing.

We do ru sets, but as you ssay, the only guys who want the ball at that point are Collins and Crawford. Arians would but disappears.

Our sets are why we are so highly rated offensively. We are in the Top 25-30 offensively without a single Top 50 player.

Manning has to do better at end of game sets. We need to have 2 or 3 go to plays to get a good shot (and not simply iso a ball handler). We don't have a guy on this team that can simply create a shot out of nothing. Crawford thinks he is that guy, but he simply isn't.

I rewound and watched our final possession against Xavier. It looked like Crawford immediately made a mistake by getting guided to the right sideline. We had some action on the left side of the court, but instead of Crawford swinging the ball to Woods at the top of the key, Woods was forced to go farther to the right, and away from where the play was developing. He got the ball on the right side, couldn't get it over to the left where Dinos and Arians were setting up, and ultimately just gave it back to Crawford.

It's a little more complicated than just "run a set." In late game situations, defenses switch everything and do everything they can so as not to give up an open shot. When you need a 3, there is no such thing as a real mismatch for the defense. A center can guard a PG when he knows he is looking for a 3. In my opinion, your best bet is to try and create confusion and hope they mess up a switch. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement in our late game strategies, but when you don't have guys that can create their own shot, then it takes someone with a greater basketball mind than mine to figure out how to get them open when the defense is switching everything.

Personally, I like double screens that break into single screens (have 2 guys set a pick for 1 guy, then one of the screeners turns and sets a screen for the other screener). Just try and create as much confusion as possible, especially since we have a big that can shoot 3's.

Last edited:
So frustrating to see Dinos and Wilbekin fail to knock down wide open shots, as you know they are going to end up giving away points on the defensive side. I honestly think that Dinos may have been "guarding" half of Xavier's points. If he isn't knocking down shots on the offensive end, he ends up as a huge liability. The one thing we're really lacking is a 6'7" long athlete that can defend,hit the offensive board, etc.

This.

Also, Crawford's defense on Saturday was laughable. Hardly the reason we lost but would love to see more focus and intensity from him on the defensive end of the floor to set a strong example for Childress and Woods.

I rewound and watched our final possession against Xavier. It looked like Crawford immediately made a mistake by getting guided to the right sideline. We had some action on the left side of the court, but instead of Crawford swinging the ball to Woods at the top of the key, Woods was forced to go farther to the right, and away from where the play was developing. He got the ball on the right side, couldn't get it over to the left where Dinos and Arians were setting up, and ultimately just gave it back to Crawford.

It's a little more complicated than just "run a set." In late game situations, defenses switch everything and do everything they can so as not to give up an open shot. When you need a 3, there is no such thing as a real mismatch for the defense. A center can guard a PG when he knows he is looking for a 3. In my opinion, your best bet is to try and create confusion and hope they mess up a switch. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement in our late game strategies, but when you don't have guys that can create their own shot, then it takes someone with a greater basketball mind than mine to figure out how to get them open when the defense is switching everything.

Personally, I like double screens that break into single screens (have 2 guys set a pick for 1 guy, then one of the screeners turns and sets a screen for the other screener). Just try and create as much confusion as possible, especially since we have a big that can shoot 3's.

You need to watch the inbounds at 1:05. That was the key play of the game. Down 5 with plenty of time to come back, but we needed a basket right there. Take a look and tell me what we ran. Also Dinos is shooting 28% from 3pt line this year, and shot 32% last year. He needs to realize that he should only shoot a 3 pointer if he is wide open. No more of the catch and shoot keeping the ball high if a shorter player is on him. If he is wide open I have no problem with him pulling it, but if he ever makes a shot he almost always throws up a heat check fairly soon after and he misses it every time. He is a good shooter for a 6'10" but he is not Ryan Anderson. He either needs to make more shots from the perimeter or continue to focus more on the interior. We shouldn't have a 28% shooter attempting three 3pters each game.

Last edited:
Dinos offense this year is a bit of a puzzle. He was a pretty good 3pt shooter as a freshman, decidely worse last year, which I was willing to write off as a result of his shoulder injury. This year, with his shoulder supposedly healed, I am surprised he isn't closer to his freshman year numbers. Did he put on too much weight or is his shoulder still an issue? Most of his missed shots that I have seen have been "off line" not short or long.

Could be the fact that he is exerting more effort in other aspects of his game (defense and rebounding) and hes just not in good enough shape physically or maybe mentally to handle it all yet.

Arians at the 4, defensively, is an issue. His sorta slow footedness, causes issues with him at the 3, defensively. His sweet shot cures all.

Although expected to win, it is an important game. Could be argued as our best win to date, if Wake does indeed win, but at the same time has a chance to send the team spiraling downwards heading into the ACC schedule if they were to lose. A revenge game for LSU so not expecting it to be an easy one.

It looks like their weak spots are 3 point shooting and rebounding so we should be able to beat them soundly in my opinion. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like they have some size and a guard that could touch us. They are 8-2 and just beat Charleston. Not sure I sare CharlotteDeac1's optimism

They have a decent amount of talent coupled with arguably the worst coach in college basketball. We should win by like 8 or 9, but we need to play well. A loss really wouldn't shock me.

We do ru sets, but as you ssay, the only guys who want the ball at that point are Collins and Crawford. Arians would but disappears.

Our sets are why we are so highly rated offensively. We are in the Top 25-30 offensively without a single Top 50 player.

Top 50 what? Is disagree. The ball sticks in our offense way too much.

Well they do own a 35 point loss @ Wichita St. Best wins are over Houston at home and @ ODU. Other than their loss to VCU the rest of their schedule is pretty weak and they have not impressed against the non power 5 teams.

Their FT shooting is pathetic at 65%.

Back