• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We need a little Northwestern game noise

That's on the players not the coaches. If you don't think the coaches said something like, "Go for the quick steal. If not, foul immediately", then there's not much to discuss.

I don't care who it is on..Either way it shows absolute stupidity.

Down 3 with 30 seconds left and we forget to foul on the inbounds pass and give up a layup..COMING OUT OF A GOD DAMN TIMEOUT!

Just unbelievable.

Where is this narrative coming from that we didn't want to foul? How do we know this? I assume, and probably am right in this assumption, that the plan was to trap and try and get a turnover, if not foul. They handled the press perfect and threw ahead when our deep man never should have been beaten deep. I do not believe for one second that it wasn't try to get a steal and then foul.

I can't believe how the sky is falling here for some. If we lost this game in the ACC on the road to NC state, would people be ready for the bridge like this? I only ask this because Northwestern is ranked 46 via Ken Pom and NC state is 51. It is disheartening because we could have won, but this isn't like we went on the road and lost to UNCC.

I can't believe how the sky is falling here for some. If we lost this game in the ACC on the road to NC state, would people be ready for the bridge like this? I only ask this because Northwestern is ranked 46 via Ken Pom and NC state is 51. It is disheartening because we could have won, but this isn't like we went on the road and lost to UNCC.

People are overreacting. It's an internet message board.

I'd like to see Wash play 10 mpg against the weaker OOC opponents to see if he might be able to play in ACC games.

Keyshawn is about an average defender. Bryant is above average. Mitch, Brandon and Austin are all bad defenders. Maybe Wash can help. He doesn't have to be a star, just give us a few solid minutes.

Besides being small., Brandon's problem seems to be not having great balance on D. He really leans a lot. That can be worked on.

We start four guys who don't defend well. We also don't rebound well. Until those weaknesses are corrected nothing is going to change. And I agree with whoever said that it is concerning that three of our freshman can't get off the bench. But we knew that would be the case.

Where is this narrative coming from that we didn't want to foul? How do we know this? I assume, and probably am right in this assumption, that the plan was to trap and try and get a turnover, if not foul. They handled the press perfect and threw ahead when our deep man never should have been beaten deep. I do not believe for one second that it wasn't try to get a steal and then foul.

I'm not sure what game you were watching but the black kid with the headband held it for plenty of time to get fouled after catching the inbounds pass and we sat there and let him throw it over the top.

Did people actually think we were going to be worth a shit this year?

We have 1 impact player on the team. Collins, and that's it. Everybody else is just a guy or worse. Crawford- just a guy. Woods- just a guy. Mitoglou- just a guy. Everybody else is worse at this point. Moore has the potential to be an impact player. Childress may have the potential to be solid in a couple of years. The rest of the freshman- well, they aren't getting any playing time on a pretty shitty team, so draw your own conclusions.

People thought this year was going to be better because of "addition by subtraction" or "Coach Manning has all of his own guys now" or other such horseshit. Coach Manning is not exactly a coach 'em up-type of coach. He is only as good as the talent he brings into the program. To this point, he has recruited 1 star and 3 average ACC players. Not shockingly, we aren't any good with that level of talent.

It is not the fact that we lost, it was how we played. Had NW had a great game and just played better than Wake did, that happens. NW played poorly and still won. That does not bode well.

Did people actually think we were going to be worth a shit this year?

We have 1 impact player on the team. Collins, and that's it. Everybody else is just a guy or worse. Crawford- just a guy. Woods- just a guy. Mitoglou- just a guy. Everybody else is worse at this point. Moore has the potential to be an impact player. Childress may have the potential to be solid in a couple of years. The rest of the freshman- well, they aren't getting any playing time on a pretty shitty team, so draw your own conclusions.

People thought this year was going to be better because of "addition by subtraction" or "Coach Manning has all of his own guys now" or other such horseshit. Coach Manning is not exactly a coach 'em up-type of coach. He is only as good as the talent he brings into the program. To this point, he has recruited 1 star and 3 average ACC players. Not shockingly, we aren't any good with that level of talent.

The talent on this team is considerably better than it has been over the past 6-7 years. This team should be much better than it is.

The talent on this team is considerably better than it has been over the past 6-7 years. This team should be much better than it is.

How good do you think we are?

Obviously it's still early in the year, but we finished last year 120th, and currently sit at 64th. That's "much better" than it has been.

While I am clearly a champion of stats, I don't know how you could watch that game and think that Crawford did a "rock solid" job on defense.

He was awful. He got bailed out several times on missed open threes by Northwestern because he either: failed to keep his guy in front of him, failed to rotate to help, or both of those things on the same possession.

He mostly hurt us when he caused other guys to have to come over and help defend his man because he got beat, causing the "help the helpers" to be late and leave guys open.

Let's look at our D last night vs. NW's other tough games:

Wake 40.9/23.1
TX 48.2/41.7
Butler 48/45
ND 44.4/57.9

Ours included an aberrational game by McIntosh (who went 10-16 against us and 14-45 against those three teams).

Let's look at our D last night vs. NW's other tough games:

Wake 40.9/23.1
TX 48.2/41.7
Butler 48/45
ND 44.4/57.9

Ours included an aberrational game by McIntosh (who went 10-16 against us and 14-45 against those three teams).

Maybe it is just me, but I don't call the opponent missing wide open 3's good defense. Now, if the 3's were contested, that is defense. I think we allowed a large number of uncontested 3's. Much of that scrambling after we made hard hedges on screens at 30 feet.

How good do you think we are?

Obviously it's still early in the year, but we finished last year 120th, and currently sit at 64th. That's "much better" than it has been.

Talent is good enough for a bubble team at a minimum. Play against the two tournament teams we have played has been far below that.

Great. Our talent is better than some of the worst ACC teams ever to walk into a gym. Fanfuckingtastic.

John Collins is the only guy really worth a shit on the whole team. Just because Mitoglou may be somewhat better than Wake-era Cavanaugh doesn't make him any good. Just because Crawford may, and I mean may, be better than CJ Harris doesn't make him the type of player who can win games in the ACC either.

So, the only results that count must have an artistic aspect to them?

For the season, opponents are shooting 35.3% on threes. That's not bad in this era.

I'm not sure what game you were watching but the black kid with the headband held it for plenty of time to get fouled after catching the inbounds pass and we sat there and let him throw it over the top.

Was that #5? If so, he's a 66% FT shooter.

It just boggles the mind that a team with good 3 point shooters wouldn't foul with 30 seconds left.

Was that #5? If so, he's a 66% FT shooter.

It just boggles the mind that a team with good 3 point shooters wouldn't foul with 30 seconds left.

Weren't we down 3? If so, a single free throw gives them a 4 point lead. You can take your chances with that and try to extend the game or go for the steal like we did.

It's not a no-brainer to commit the foul.

We start four guys who don't defend well. We also don't rebound well. Until those weaknesses are corrected nothing is going to change. And I agree with whoever said that it is concerning that three of our freshman can't get off the bench. But we knew that would be the case.

Indeed. The fact that Washington or SJM can't sniff a meaningful minute really makes me doubt their ability to contribute.

Imagine if we went large and had a lineup of Crawford, Woods, Wash, Dinos, Collins. Sub in SJM for either big.

The fact that Manning plays GMac at the 4 over some combo of Collins/Mitoglou/Moore/SJM is criminal. He loves to let other teams dictate who should be on the floor rather than the other way around.

Weren't we down 3? If so, a single free throw gives them a 4 point lead. You can take your chances with that and try to extend the game or go for the steal like we did.

It's not a no-brainer to commit the foul.

The worst thing you can do is just give up 2 points with time running off the clock. That's what we did by trying to press which is something we just don't normally do and apparently don't do well. 30 seconds is plenty of time to foul even if it means trying to trade 3 for 2.

You're right. I can't believe how stupid I am to assume a guy that is coaching on this level would never try to trap first and then go for the foul. Get your resume out there coaching wizard.

Back