• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

Not sure how "low res" the camera settings on your phones are, but once you get to double digit MegaPixels, you can't really tell the difference.

Now 800x600 photos vs 16 MegaPixels, sure.

Megapixels are stupid.

I would take a 6mp cell phone camera with legitimately high-performing software/algorithms and a fast lens setup over a 12+mp camera just because it has pixels. Unless you're planning on printing your cell phone photos (which I generally don't), 6mp is a larger resolution than an Apple Retina screen.

Not that there's anything wrong with the arms race, but the software>>>the pixels every time. And the files end up huge anyway.

My LG G5 digitizer went bad, and I'm fucking done with LG. Love the phones when they work, but they have the manufacturing quality of 4 guys in their backyard. Tired of so many hardware issues with my last 3 phones.

So I succumbed to the dark side and got a Galaxy S8 Plus and the super sexy alcantara case they offer for it. It's fucking gorgeous, I'll give it that. TouchWiz is still cancer, but at least you can work around that with things like Nova Launcher and the like.

My wife and I have Sprint and our contracts are up in a week or so. I am in desperate need of a new phone. Also, I am on the verge of getting out of forensics and entering the world of sales. What phones out there are the best for business?

Are you a photo snob? I can't remember the last picture I've ever seen and said "that doesn't look sharp/bright enough"

I am a photo snob and I print for a living. I can tell you at least 5x a week there is somebody in our store that wants to make a picture that they took on their phone, and they can not because once they crop to the way they want, or want to make larger than 11x14 or 16x20 the resolution does not hold up. Rare cases I know, and phones are great for 95% of what people want and use images for, but it’s always that best shot when you wish you had a camera.

Not sure how "low res" the camera settings on your phones are, but once you get to double digit MegaPixels, you can't really tell the difference.

Now 800x600 photos vs 16 MegaPixels, sure.

True to about 20% degree. More depends on the lens and the software that writes the files. iPhones mega pixel size is fines but if you enlarge or crop equally to what you would from a point and shoot at the same file size the image on the iPhone will not hold up. The image starts to look like a paint filter has been applied. Droid technology for camera use is FAR better. FYI

I originally upgraded to the LG G6 3 months ago for the wide angle camera and free google home, but I had to change it out yesterday for the Galaxy S8. The battery life was so bad on the LG that I was recharging at 3 or 4 every day. So far today with normal usage I am on 79% after 6 hours.

And the Samsung has a smaller battery.
b8f624b4fa8f8fcb659535ec548c15aa.jpg

Had my S8+ for a month now. By far, not even close, the best phone I've ever had. It's just an absolutely exquisite piece of hardware.

Anyone biting on the iPhone x? I probably will, for the advantage of the better camera.

I'm an Android guy, so never. But if I were an Apple fan, I'm not at all sure that eliminating the fingerprint scanner is the right move. I don't understand why they couldn't have waited a year for the tech to be there for an under the screen/glass fingerprint scanner or put one on the back.

I'm an Android guy, so never. But if I were an Apple fan, I'm not at all sure that eliminating the fingerprint scanner is the right move. I don't understand why they couldn't have waited a year for the tech to be there for an under the screen/glass fingerprint scanner or put one on the back.
It already looks like an android. So fingerprint scanner on the back would have been too much for them to swallow

I really want to get an X, but having to face scan when I want to use Apple Pay seems like a serious PITA.

Back