• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

Pull it out of your pocket, glance at it while doing so and flip it over to the reader. Seems a pretty simple motion.

I am usually an iPhone/Apple geek but it's hard for me to accept the notch and the lack of Touch ID on the X. Is any one else averse to the notch? I am pretty underwhelmed by the iPhone 8, so it's X or nothing. I haven't considered switching to Android in five+ years, but this year's iPhone cycle has me considering it. But I don't think I could stand to lose iMessage and various apps that are only available on iOS.

Just depends on the speed and reliability of the 3d face reader. It's not like the iPhone was the first phone with fingerprint ID, but most of the phones before it had shitty fingerprint ID that nobody used and wasn't integrated with other apps. Now lots of phones have it and it works well.

If your phone unlocks immediately at eye contact, nobody will miss fingerprints. Obviously that's a big question mark. Current face scan tech that uses a front camera sucks balls, but I doubt that'll be the experience on the iPhone.

I don't get why people are freaking out about the pricetag either. Not that different than other top tier flagship phones. They're all expensive as hell. I'll be interested to see what the wow factor is when you see the iPhone X in person. Can't tell if it'll be underwhelming or really impressive.

One thing I don't like about the 6 plus is the finger scan for Apple Pay doesn't work very well (or at all) when sweaty and disgusting from a workout. So I can see at least one advantage to doing away with the button and going with the face scan.

I usually upgrade every other model so seems about time.

Last edited:
I am usually an iPhone/Apple geek but it's hard for me to accept the notch and the lack of Touch ID on the X. Is any one else averse to the notch? I am pretty underwhelmed by the iPhone 8, so it's X or nothing. I haven't considered switching to Android in five+ years, but this year's iPhone cycle has me considering it. But I don't think I could stand to lose iMessage and various apps that are only available on iOS.

Yep. WTH is that? It detracts from the screen.

Edit: Hope it's not on all their screens going forward.

Last edited:
Pixel 2 announcement tomorrow. Should add some strong phones to the premium tier (Pixel 2 XL) and to the very good tier (Pixel 2). Pixel 2 XL supposedly has a few new features/technology, Pixel 2 has similar tech to most upper-end 2017 phones.

I'll probably wait for Verizon to offer one of their $10 or $15 deals during the holidays as the rumored $900-1000 price tag is ridiculous, but sadly normal now. I'll take the quasi-2 year contract (device payment plan) if it means a savings of $500+ bucks.

Last edited:
Time to resurrect this thread.

I have an Android (Samsung S7) and the micro USB port does not seem to want to transmit data. It charges the phone OK, but won't allow the phone to be seen by my computer. I want to get some pics off the phone and onto the computer for storage, and to clear some space on the phone. It is pretty full right now.

Any suggestions?

Use Google Photos, they automatically are uploaded to Google cloud storage and can be accessed on any device connected to Google.

Use Google Photos, they automatically are uploaded to Google cloud storage and can be accessed on any device connected to Google.

That wasn't the only issue. There was some other stuff on there I wanted to move off.

Turns out I have three cables that apparently work just fine for charging, but don't pass data. Cable #4 did the trick, no problem, just like I was expecting.

Forgot people were upset about the lack of fingerprint scanner on the X. The face recognition works perfectly, easily the best phone i've had.

It doesn't work perfectly. I've seen it not work in low light many, many times.

Interesting, it only doesn't work for me when I'm lying on my side so a pillow is covering half my face. Had way more times with the finger scanner where my hand would be wet and it wouldn't work.

it doesn't work for me when laying in bed and just holding it up between my chest and face. you have to hold it with your arms stretched out. also you need to have both eyes open -- sometimes in the middle of the night I will try to unlock it but can't due to squinting.

it doesn't work for me when laying in bed and just holding it up between my chest and face. you have to hold it with your arms stretched out. also you need to have both eyes open -- sometimes in the middle of the night I will try to unlock it but can't due to squinting.

Haha yeah this is me every morning when I check it as I'm waking up.

Not for me. Used to drive me insane when I would have a recipe up on my phone and i couldn't get back in to see it because my hands were wet.

Do you have the X?

My girlfriend had it and I saw her have problems with it. I think Apple knew that they should have included a fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone but it would have been forced to acknowledge that Android phones had that setup right. So they made faceID into this big feature, and it is nice, as an alternative login. But doesn't work as seamlessly as touchID most of the time. I predict most phones will eventually have a fingerprint reader built into the screen. Apple will go with that eventually and forget about faceID.

My girlfriend had it and I saw her have problems with it. I think Apple knew that they should have included a fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone but it would have been forced to acknowledge that Android phones had that setup right. So they made faceID into this big feature, and it is nice, as an alternative login. But doesn't work as seamlessly as touchID most of the time. I predict most phones will eventually have a fingerprint reader built into the screen. Apple will go with that eventually and forget about faceID.

Yeah I feel like Apple had hoped to have that tech ready to roll w/ the X but it wasn't there yet from a speed/reliability standpoint.

Back