• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

You can still scratch it. I hate screen protectors and don't use them.

Recently, I got a fine .5" long scratch in my 5S's screen. I'm not even sure how. I must've put something with it in my pocket.

Yep, I don't care for the plastic screen protectors either- I only put it on the S3 years ago because I got it for free with the case purchase and they put it on for me at the dealer.

I hear that the glass tempered screen protectors are now all the rage and may check into one of those.

Otherwise, given the age of the phone now, it's probably going au natural from here on out! :)

So to summarize this 187 page thread everyone would just be better off getting iphones

What are the essential iPhone apps these days, including one for tracking your phone should it get lost/stolen?

Can I just confirm this will work with you guys?

I ordered my Moto X (2014) from the Moto Maker store for a Verizon contract. As I understand it, Verizon LTE devices are not SIM-locked. This means that I can travel overseas (as I'm about to do for 5-6 months) and that I can buy a local SIM and receive voice/data service, right?

Specifically, the X is listed as using LTE band 800 and 2600 while Uganda has 4G LTE on 800mhz and 2600mhz. So this should work, right?

The tempered glass screen protectors are legit. I don't even notice it is there.

The reviews of the Moto X Pure (Style) aren't great.

Which ones have you seen? I'm about to order one, and the reviews I've seen really like it. I'm tempted to wait for the new Nexus, but I didn't love my Nexus 5 (was just too flimsily made) and love the idea of Moto Maker.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/02/moto-x-pure-edition-review/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/2/9248101/new-motorola-moto-x-review-2015-pure-edition

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/moto-x-pure-edition-review-this-phone-does-android-bet-1728270123

People just had higher hopes for the Pure. From that 2nd review: "Based on Motorola’s promises, you’d think that it’s finally cracked how to build the perfect Android smartphone. I’ve been using it for the past week, and, well, it’s far from perfect. It’s not the best smartphone you can buy, Android or otherwise. But it is a really good smartphone at a really great price"

CNet also drilled it because their day-to-day tester needed to recharge it during the day under moderate use over the course of a workday.

Winning the battle of best 2nd tier Android phone doesn't really speak to this audience I'd guess.

The problem is that I can't stand any of the Android skins, and for my job it's very preferable to be able to run naked Android (or at least close enough that I'm able to run the latest release builds very shortly after release).

I've always been on Nexus for that reason, but the Moto is tempting. Those are basically my only two options - I do have access to a number of other devices on a short term basis, but I wouldn't use one of them as my primary personal device.

SwiftKey Neural Alpha is out. It is FINALLY able to correctly type probably for me. Praise jebus.

Seriously though, what an amazing keyboard so far.

Can't believe that the Moto X (2014) isn't going to get Marshmallow. Wasn't this phone marketed as one that would get timely updates?

It's been a great phone, but it will be my last non-Nexus device.

Is the Nexus 6P supposed to be good? It's getting to be that time with my phone and I'm starting to evaluate my options. I like my Note 3 but I want to explore all the options both with the newer Samsung phones and other manufacturers.

Looking for an Android with good battery life, good cell/data reception, & newer/newest technology. Something rootable and with ROM development would be nice but not absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
If I could justify the expense, I'd be all over the 6P. But I have a one year old Moto X (2nd gen) that works fine.

Just received and installed a glass screen protector on my S3- nice!

Love the feel of the glass vs the plastic protector. May keep this one on for awhile. :)

Just ordered a Nexus 6P, excited about stock android again. Too bad I'm looking at a month wait before getting it.

Also, my Note 3 just stopped working Friday morning. It was fine then I went to use it and nothing. Changed the battery, plugged it in, did a soft reset, checked the connections, and discharged any residual power in the phone, but nothing worked. So I'm trying to find my old Galaxy Nexus to use for a month.

Last edited:
I have a GS4 and looking to upgrade. Any recs? It'd be between the 6S+ GS6 and Moto XP.

Back