• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly Law School Thread: Charleston

I'll say no to law school unless a few criteria are met:
-It's a top 10ish school OR it's a top 25ish school in the region you want to be in
-You are really, really sure you want to be a lawyer. As in, you've been a paralegal for a year or two and you really like it.
-You usually get very good grades and have a very good work ethic. Getting good grades because you're smart doesn't count. If you go to a good school, everyone will be smart.
-You don't have to pay for it (either through parents, scholarships, or whatnot)

If all of those are met, then law school seems like a good choice. If you're missing any of them, then I wouldn't recommend it.

As someone who just finished their first year, don't do it. 03 makes some good points, though I would say you don't have to pay nothing. Just cut down costs via scholarship, parental help, living at home, in-state tuition, etc. ~T25 or bust is probably good advice, though I'd extend it to T1 if you can go to your (very respectable) state school and want to practice there.

And seriously, make sure you like it. I loved my first year, but know a lot of people who are already regretting it and not just due to poor job prospects. If you don't love the law or reading a shit ton, you'll hate your life.

If you're from Charleston and your family has a good network in the city that could help you land jobs, it might be worth the risk.

I'll say no to law school unless a few criteria are met:
-It's a top 10ish school OR it's a top 25ish school in the region you want to be in
-You are really, really sure you want to be a lawyer. As in, you've been a paralegal for a year or two and you really like it.
-You usually get very good grades and have a very good work ethic. Getting good grades because you're smart doesn't count. If you go to a good school, everyone will be smart.
-You don't have to pay for it (either through parents, scholarships, or whatnot)

If all of those are met, then law school seems like a good choice. If you're missing any of them, then I wouldn't recommend it.

This post should be included as an insert for every law school brochure.

By the way, DC is awesome.

And if you want to eventually go back to law school, that option is always there.

Law school and the practice of law are quite dissimilar

are you currently practicing law? i still haven't figured out whether you powered through a law career or if you left at some point.

I'm so mad at the ABA. Not only should they not approve new law schools, they should crack down on the existing ones and push them to reduce the slots available for incoming students.

The problem is that law schools make money, but the profession is slowly trying to cannibalize itself.

Most of you are telling me what I'm already thinking. I'm doing to DC next week to meet with a few people about congressional jobs, Burr's office etc. I'm strongly leaning against it because of the reasons most of you reiterated. Like I said, the last thing I want to do is have my family spend $110,000 for me to get nothing out of it.

Burr is a bawse, and Congressional/Hill jobs are fun, if you can stand mind-numbing office work. I would certainly go that route instead of Charleston Law.

Burr is a bawse, and Congressional/Hill jobs are fun, if you can stand mind-numbing office work and a very small paycheck/high cost of living. I would certainly go that route instead of Charleston Law.

Needs to be stated. However, if you can survive that, those kind of jobs often open many other doors.

Needs to be stated. However, if you can survive that, those kind of jobs often open many other doors.

his parents were ready to shell out 110k for a no name law school. i am sure he has a safety net.

Back